would the postal service run more efficiently w/o unions? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  would the postal service run more efficiently w/o unions? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: would the postal service run more efficiently w/o unions?  (Read 2880 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

USPS service has always seemed fine to me.  Yes, it can be slow if you have one person behind the counter and a long line of people sending packages, and better weekend hours would be nice, but that's an argument for increased staffing levels and/or self-serve kiosks for simple things.  (Preferably both if possible.)

The real problem with the USPS, of course, is that the internet has just killed demand for first-class mail, since people email and pay bills online and read news sites rather then getting letters and bills and magazines.  But, of course, they still need to make the same appointed rounds- what was supposed to be a profitable monopoly that subsidizes package and rural delivery has now become a millstone.  Arguing about the effects of unions here is mostly an irrelevant sidetrack: they didn't create this mess, but neither can they really fix it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:13 AM »

If USPS had such great customer service, how come absolutely nobody uses them in the one area they don't have a legal monopoly on (package delivery), even though they're usually cheaper?

A lot of people use USPS for package delivery, including myself (on the rare cases I deliver packages at all).  Excluding one-day (rush) deliveries, they do more business than FedEx in fact.

And, of course, FedEx and UPS both rely on the USPS to handle last-mile duties for several classes of deliveries (SmartPost and SurePost).  Obviously they trust the Postal Service to get the job done.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/19/us-usps-newspro-idUSTRE79I5VK20111019
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies