US fails to qualify for World Cup 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:16:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  US fails to qualify for World Cup 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US fails to qualify for World Cup 2018  (Read 3746 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:36 PM »

I could write about the tactical failures, player selection failures, and sheer lack of motivation of everyone except Pulisic beyond the post limit, but it would probably be lost to most people on a political forum. So I'll speak to the broader issue: complete failure in youth development. Soccer is a rich kids sport in the US, you'll never get anywhere like that. This is why an entire half-decade, the early 90s, which is in their prime, only developed 3-4 good players. MLS only started caring about academies recently. USSF is sitting on $100 million while most people can't afford to do what kids in poor countries do for nothing: play soccer. You don't need to be an economics professor at Columbia like Sunil Gulati to tell you that's stupid.

Trump karma.

I will admit I've been rooting against the USMNT since the election.

Cool, then you're an idiot.

Imagine the panic going on with Fox and the other American sponsors. Fox spent $400 million to get the broadcasting rights for this and was planning to make this World Cup the "biggest programming event in Fox's history." That money is going down the drain. Think they'll still be showing 350 hours of soccer with no US in it?

What American citizen is actually cheering for America though? I've never met a US fan.

Even though this is obviously a joke (and the game watches for US World Cup games last time around were actually really big and fun every bar I went to!), I think every single one of my friends cheers for an "ancestral" European team if/when the US gets eliminated, LOL.

Yeah but what if you have English ancestry... Sad
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »

Last night was disgraceful. Gulati and Arena need to be shown the door, but they keep the MLS sycophants happy so they won't go anywhere

Most MLS fans are really pissed at the US being eliminated, and Arena was a stop-gap anyway. But yeah Gulati will probably end up staying because of the financial side, if that's what you're talking about.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2017, 10:40:24 PM by Governor Leinad »

Anyway, I'll be cheering for Belgium or Poland I suppose Tongue

I guess Peru for me (presuming they beat New Zealand). Or maybe just whoever Mexico plays. Honestly the Dutch probably would've been my fall-back had you guys not f'd it up, too! Tongue
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »

Yeah but what if you have English ancestry... Sad

Root for England? They're qualified this year.

Eh, maybe, but I'm already pretty good at pessimism and self-loathing, I don't think I need more practice at that.

As some may have already noted, we can't say much for our men's team, but our women's team is one of the best and the current reigning World Cup Champion. The US men's team may suck, but our women's team is f-cking amazing and we should be supporting them.

This is true, and I'll definitely be eagerly watching these upcoming friendlies with South Korea!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies