Are establishment politics overrepresented on this forum? (US politics)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:18:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are establishment politics overrepresented on this forum? (US politics)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are people who generally support party establishment ideas and policies overrepresented?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Are establishment politics overrepresented on this forum? (US politics)  (Read 1653 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »

I think they are. This forum skews massively male, young, and white. And yet most preference polls show that Clinton is close to Sanders, getting about 40% of Democrats here. On the Republican side, I've seen many Kasich and Rubio endorsements. Trump trolls fog things up a bit, but his support is in all likelihood underrepresented, and the anti-Trump presence while quiet exists in large numbers. Cruz is the most unpopular Republican on here, while to the US he is the 2nd most popular.

If you feel like the statements I've stated are misleading or false, state what you think of the forum. If the answer is yes, the 2nd thing I want to know is why. My best guess would be that demographically, the socioeconomic status is pretty high. Another thing could be that this forum attracts many people who participate or wish to participate in formal politics some day. What do you think?

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »

Yeah, this forum is full of Beltway hacks and insufferable Moderate Heroes.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »

For the Republican side, I would say yes. For the Democratic side the establishment is underrepresented.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »

yeah atlas has an inexplicable predilection for ¿yeb?/kasich type losers.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »

The Republicans on the forum are too moderate compared to mainstream Republicans
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »

Yes, though it's far more severe on the Democratic side than on the Republican one (though I guess you could spin the forum Drumpfsters as being "establishment" in some way).
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:24 PM »

Yes, though it's far more severe on the Democratic side than on the Republican one (though I guess you could spin the forum Drumpfsters as being "establishment" in some way).

lmao no it isn't

There are far more Sandernistas relative to Clinton supporters here than there actually are in the real world.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »

lmao no it isn't

There are far more Sandernistas relative to Clinton supporters here than there actually are in the real world.

not if you control for age
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:58 PM »

lmao no it isn't

Hillbots outweigh Sanderistas at least 2 to 1 on the 2016 board. I'm told it's even worse on AAD (as everything is).

Bernie is currently standing at 40-45% in national polls, so as usual you're talking out of your ass.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »

Affluent people support the status quo? Say it ain't so!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »

Yeah, this.  I'd expect this forum's Democrats to be like 80-90% Berniebots based on demographics (young white men/students), but for some reason it's pretty even if slightly Sanders leaning.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »

Yeah, this.  I'd expect this forum's Democrats to be like 80-90% Berniebots based on demographics (young white men/students), but for some reason it's pretty even if slightly Sanders leaning.

Just look at the demographics for a typical political forum, you find that they are mostly cis-gendered white men
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:12 PM »

lmao no it isn't

Hillbots outweigh Sanderistas at least 2 to 1 on the 2016 board. I'm told it's even worse on AAD (as everything is).

Bernie is currently standing at 40-45% in national polls, so as usual you're talking out of your ass.

"at least 2 to 1"

if you're going to bring in statistics pls have some way to actually prove you didn't just fabricate them

lmao no it isn't

not if you control for age

Yeah I guess this is true.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:21 PM »

A lot of anti-establishmentism is uninformed (that's not a snide remark, uninformed voters are a vital aspect of keeping politicians in line) and this forum is better informed than most.

Also a lot of people here view politics either as an amusing bloodsport or as a clinical exercice of study.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »

A lot of anti-establishmentism is uninformed (that's not a snide remark, uninformed voters are a vital aspect of keeping politicians in line) and this forum is better informed than most.

Also a lot of people here view politics either as an amusing bloodsport or as a clinical exercice of study.

What Crabcake said.

Also, to the extent that forumites are disadvantaged, they are disadvantaged in ways that typically don't lead up to supporting Trump. How many here haven't been to or plan on going to university? Who's been laid off from a manufacturing position?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »

As usual crabcake makes the best post of the thread.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »

Also, to add to Crabcake's point,  low information =/= stupid.  There are plenty of intelligent people who aren't political nerds or even political nerds who don't follow electoral politics closely.  Likewise, there are plenty of dumb people who know a lot about electoral politics, as this forum proves every day.

I'm a commie, and I have a lot of commie friends who are brilliant, well-read, etc. but many of them are ignorant of even the basics of electoral politics (a guy the other day literally asked me how the electoral college works, for example) because they largely don't care about it.  Likewise many people here are really ignorant about leftism or any politics that are outside of the American mainstream, but could recreate the electoral maps of every presidential election going back to the 1800's.  People here are very high information (compared to the general public) and thus are way more likely to vote and vote for establishment candidates.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 07:25:59 AM »

Yes, certainly more pro-establishment, but this is also the only place where I have seen someone genuinely coming out as a supporter of the North Korean regime, so...
RR1997
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »

Yes, which is why I love the Atlas Forum.

This forum consists of young white males. Based on demographics alone, this place should be supporting Sanders by 80%+. Yet, Clinton supporters outweigh Sanders supporters by a pretty decent margin. This is a great thing imo. I'm tired of all the Sanderistas  everywhere else on the Internet and irl. It seems like Clinton is hated everywhere on the Internet except the Atlas Forum (there is nothing wrong with this).

Likewise, supporters for candidates like Rubio, Kasich, and Bush are really overrepresented, while supporters for candidates like Trump are really underrepresented. This is a good thing as well.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »

Marco Rubio created a number of socks it seems.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »

Hillbots outweigh Sanderistas at least 2 to 1 on the 2016 board.

Well maybe the 2016 board helps balance out the rest of the forum in that sense. 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=231461.0
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 04:56:28 PM »

I think what's going on is that, as political nerds, we tend to like people who look and talk like stereotypical "politicians." It reminds us of politics, which is something we enjoy reading about. Other people don't like those people, because they aren't into politics, and vote for the person who seems like the least stereotypical politician.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »

Hillbots outweigh Sanderistas at least 2 to 1 on the 2016 board.

Well maybe the 2016 board helps balance out the rest of the forum in that sense. 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=231461.0

Maybe. It's true that the people who are comparatively less invested in the race on here are overwhelmingly pro-Bernie (which in itself is pretty interesting).
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 05:46:31 AM »

Yes, certainly more pro-establishment, but this is also the only place where I have seen someone genuinely coming out as a supporter of the North Korean regime, so...

you've been in very few political forums, trust me
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »

No, if anything anti-establishment types (Marxists and libertarians, specifically) are overrepresented.  But of the conservative posters, the fact that there are so many Kasich and Rubio supporters (including me) indicates that establishment politics are overrepresented on that side.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies