Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 95451 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 28, 2020, 11:26:02 AM »
« edited: April 28, 2020, 12:09:47 PM by money printer go brrr »

Listening to some classic Led Zeppelin today and after fifteen years of being an LZ fan I still don't understand why people think the guitar solo in "Heartbreaker" is any good. Not only is it extremely sloppy and disjointed but it completely breaks the momentum of the song. The only redeeming part is the riff at the end which leads back into the verse.

Ditto for the drum solo in "Moby Dick". That entire track is a waste of time.

edit: while I am here I will rank the songs on Led Zeppelin II which will probably be heresy to many Zeppelin fans

1. Bring It on Home
2. Ramble On
3. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
4. Thank You
T5. What is and What Should Never Be
T5. Whole Lotta Love
7. Heartbreaker
8. The Lemon Song
9. Moby Dick

Bring It on Home and Living Loving Maid are two of LZ's most criminally underrated songs (yes I'm aware of the plagiarism issues on Bring It on Home).
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1051 on: April 28, 2020, 02:37:34 PM »

Young people from ethnic minorities that were historically persecuted/oppressed don't get free passes to make offensive/hateful statements towards the majority just because they're the descendants of said group. Your ancestors suffered atrocities way worse than any modern inconveniences you have to "endure".
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1052 on: April 28, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »

Listening to some classic Led Zeppelin today and after fifteen years of being an LZ fan I still don't understand why people think the guitar solo in "Heartbreaker" is any good. Not only is it extremely sloppy and disjointed but it completely breaks the momentum of the song. The only redeeming part is the riff at the end which leads back into the verse.

edit: while I am here I will rank the songs on Led Zeppelin II which will probably be heresy to many Zeppelin fans

1. Bring It on Home
2. Ramble On
4. Thank You
T5. Whole Lotta Love
7. Heartbreaker
8. The Lemon Song
9. Moby Dick

Bring It on Home and Living Loving Maid are two of LZ's most criminally underrated songs (yes I'm aware of the plagiarism issues on Bring It on Home).

This is a pretty fair list and I agree that Bring it on Home is one of the most underrated Zeppelin songs (though I am biased because it was one of the first songs I learned on guitar). However, I think Ramble On is pretty much unimpeachable as the best song on that album.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1053 on: May 02, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »

Susan Collins is favored in Maine, and Maine will not be part of a path of least resistance for the Senate. Tillis, Purdue, McSally, Loeffler, Daines, Gardner are all more vulnerable than her. Honestly, I'd say her seat is only slightly more competitive than Iowa and Texas, it's a tossup, but one with a clear Republican lean. Feel free to bump this and yell at me, if Collins loses, but I don't see it happening.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1054 on: May 03, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »

I think Russell Hantz was robbed in Samoa
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1055 on: May 05, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »

While I absolutely understand the rationale behind it, the Allies' decision to dissolve Prussia after World War II was shortsighted and pretty unfortunate.  I see no evidence that modern Germany's shedding of its darkest hour from the national cultural fabric has anything to do with there no longer being a state called Prussia, and Prussia's "inseparability" from the drive for German expansionism and even militarism is shoddy at best.

I personally think it would be really cool if there were a "Prussian Revival" sort of movement in Northern Germany/areas that were once part of Prussia, providing those areas with a more "local" flare not unlike that of Bavaria.  For example, most of the beers outsiders associate with Germany are from the southern half of the country, like Pilsners.  I read recently, however, that Prussia was much more known for its ales, not unlike those popular in England.  This is more of an annoyance of mine than any serious proposal, as I think it's annoying that so many Americans associate Bavarian customs and traditions with just being *German* ... plus, my family came from areas that were part of Prussia at the time of their emigration (Brandenburg and Schelswig-Hostein). Smiley

(Again, what the actual German people of those areas want is obviously the most important, haha ... and I doubt they pay this subject much attention.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1056 on: May 05, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »

While I absolutely understand the rationale behind it, the Allies' decision to dissolve Prussia after World War II was shortsighted and pretty unfortunate.  I see no evidence that modern Germany's shedding of its darkest hour from the national cultural fabric has anything to do with there no longer being a state called Prussia, and Prussia's "inseparability" from the drive for German expansionism and even militarism is shoddy at best.

I personally think it would be really cool if there were a "Prussian Revival" sort of movement in Northern Germany/areas that were once part of Prussia, providing those areas with a more "local" flare not unlike that of Bavaria.  For example, most of the beers outsiders associate with Germany are from the southern half of the country, like Pilsners.  I read recently, however, that Prussia was much more known for its ales, not unlike those popular in England.  This is more of an annoyance of mine than any serious proposal, as I think it's annoying that so many Americans associate Bavarian customs and traditions with just being *German* ... plus, my family came from areas that were part of Prussia at the time of their emigration (Brandenburg and Schelswig-Hostein). Smiley

(Again, what the actual German people of those areas want is obviously the most important, haha ... and I doubt they pay this subject much attention.)

The thing is, most of the lands that historically constituted Prussia are not ethnically German anymore. Historical "Prussia" is now settled by Russians and Poles, and while the ethnic cleansing of Germans after WW2 was a tragedy, it's not exactly something that can be undone.

There's Brandenburg, sure (and really, the state that existed from 1701 to 1870 should more properly have been called Brandenburg, in the same way that the "Kingdom of Sardinia" was really Piedmont), but I'm not sure what exactly it gains by returning to a name whose meaning has always been nebulous and vague. As for places like Schleswig-Holstein or Rhineland, those were recent conquests that always had their own regional identities.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1057 on: May 06, 2020, 04:15:17 PM »

The thing is, most of the lands that historically constituted Prussia are not ethnically German anymore. Historical "Prussia" is now settled by Russians and Poles, and while the ethnic cleansing of Germans after WW2 was a tragedy, it's not exactly something that can be undone.

There's Brandenburg, sure (and really, the state that existed from 1701 to 1870 should more properly have been called Brandenburg, in the same way that the "Kingdom of Sardinia" was really Piedmont), but I'm not sure what exactly it gains by returning to a name whose meaning has always been nebulous and vague. As for places like Schleswig-Holstein or Rhineland, those were recent conquests that always had their own regional identities.

Fair enough ... I guess I meant it would function as more of a pseudo-exonym in that it would sort of conveniently use "Prussian" as a cultural backdrop for Northern Germany the way Bavaria uses its former kingdom.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1058 on: May 06, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »

Fair enough ... I guess I meant it would function as more of a pseudo-exonym in that it would sort of conveniently use "Prussian" as a cultural backdrop for Northern Germany the way Bavaria uses its former kingdom.

That's fair. Personally I'd prefer a different term (I was going to say "High German", but I just realized the High German dialects are actually from Southern Germany, so you guys are actually Low Germans Tongue) both because it'd be more accurate and honestly because Prussia has been a force of evil in Europe since the days for Frederick """the Great"'". But if you want to, go for it.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1059 on: May 10, 2020, 12:25:24 AM »

Reading traditional books is overrated. If you want to learn more and be fascinated, just go online and read practical information for hours on end.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1060 on: May 10, 2020, 12:27:51 AM »

Reading traditional books is overrated. If you want to learn more and be fascinated, just go online and read practical information for hours on end.

There's a big experiential difference between knowing that La Vita Nuova opens with Beatrice literally eating Dante's heart, and actually reading the scene at the beginning of La Vita Nuova where Beatrice literally eats Dante's heart.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1061 on: May 10, 2020, 01:54:37 AM »

The Coronavirus Pandemic has helped Ron DeSantis a lot more than it hurt him. He is now stronger as a candidate in 2024 because of it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1062 on: May 10, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »

The Coronavirus Pandemic has helped Ron DeSantis a lot more than it hurt him. He is now stronger as a candidate in 2024 because of it.
Absolutely. I’m very bullish about him and Hawley on the ticket one day.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1063 on: May 11, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »

1. Bring It on Home
2. Ramble On
4. Thank You
T5. Whole Lotta Love
7. Heartbreaker
8. The Lemon Song
9. Moby Dick

This is a pretty fair list and I agree that Bring it on Home is one of the most underrated Zeppelin songs (though I am biased because it was one of the first songs I learned on guitar). However, I think Ramble On is pretty much unimpeachable as the best song on that album.

Ramble On is excellent and is the most cohesive song, but there's something which escapes words about the way the intro to Bring It on Home has this pent up energy from the intro and lets it out with that fade in with the distortion and the opening riff on the electric. I also just love the simple way the drums kick in there - such an incredibly simple fill but it can't be topped. Those twenty-or-so seconds from the distortion to the start of the verse are just sheer ecstasy to me. Being easy to play on guitar also helps.

Anyway I wanted to revisit this thread because I'm listening to IV today. Outstanding to listen to on a rainy spring day. It already has a solid claim to best rock album of all time but if you took out Four Sticks and replaced it with a song from Physical Graffiti like Night Flight it might be beyond dispute.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1064 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 05:56:20 PM by I trolled myself into becoming a liberal »

I'm far from a big reader, but reading books is good, even if you only read "practical" books. Yes, reading factual information online or taking online courses is great, but good books give you insight into someone else's way of thinking, and as such have the potential to expand your mind in different and more profound ways than amassing factual knowledge or practical skills. Books are also organized, edited, and generally specific, so instead of having to go find all the information yourself, you can just read what a professional has already collected for you.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1065 on: May 11, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »

I'm far from a big reader, but reading books is good, even if you only read "practical" books. Yes, reading factual information online or taking online courses is great, but good books give you insight into someone else's way of thinking, and as such have the potential to expand your mind in different and more profound ways than amassing factual knowledge or practical skills. Books are also organized, edited, and generally specific, so instead of having to go find all the information yourself, you can just read what a professional has already collected for you.

Plus, - and I’m far from an expert on literally anything, haha - if you get interested enough in and knowledgeable enough about a given topic, there will come a point where you LITERALLY can’t learn more without a good book on it.

(I’m at this point with the decline of Greco-Roman paganism in the Roman Empire, for example.)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1066 on: May 11, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »

It ought be noted that too much screen time is bad for the eyes too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1067 on: May 11, 2020, 11:15:03 PM »

It ought be noted that too much screen time is bad for the eyes too.

Preach ... my last job pushed me into that really annoying in-between-contacts-territory where I don't need contacts for anything but reading small words far away, like on a chalkboard. Sad
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1068 on: May 12, 2020, 12:34:47 AM »

You're racist if you look down on Asian cultures for eating dog meat.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1069 on: May 12, 2020, 01:22:48 AM »

Ramble On is excellent and is the most cohesive song, but there's something which escapes words about the way the intro to Bring It on Home has this pent up energy from the intro and lets it out with that fade in with the distortion and the opening riff on the electric. I also just love the simple way the drums kick in there - such an incredibly simple fill but it can't be topped. Those twenty-or-so seconds from the distortion to the start of the verse are just sheer ecstasy to me. Being easy to play on guitar also helps.

Anyway I wanted to revisit this thread because I'm listening to IV today. Outstanding to listen to on a rainy spring day. It already has a solid claim to best rock album of all time but if you took out Four Sticks and replaced it with a song from Physical Graffiti like Night Flight it might be beyond dispute.

Ok, here's a really hot take: Four Sticks is actually one of the best Led Zeppelin songs. Its segues in time signature are seamless and its bassline is extremely catchy and creative.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1070 on: May 12, 2020, 06:05:38 PM »

I am racist then.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1071 on: May 12, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »

The political matrix should go from being a square to being a diamond. It's deranged otherwise.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1072 on: May 12, 2020, 08:35:12 PM »

Ok, here's a really hot take: Four Sticks is actually one of the best Led Zeppelin songs. Its segues in time signature are seamless and its bassline is extremely catchy and creative.

Hmm... well that is a hot one. A steamer in fact. We'll agree to disagree. It's pretty rare that I notice a non-standard time signature, and even rarer that I really appreciate it. My main beef with Four Sticks is the driving riff is meh (and the time signature makes it feel jagged and uneven) while the vocals and lyrics are annoying and uninteresting, respectively. The sort of synthy/keyboardy stuff is cool though. I'll give them props for being creative but I haven't listened to this song all the way through since I was in high school.

My hot take (or preference/opinion) for today, inspired by the lengthy if one-sided discussion about whether Nazis were far left or far right is that I find the bulk of European history after the year 1800 to be very boring. With a handful of exceptions once you move past the colonization of the Americas I'm not interested. As a corollary I find contemporary European politics (in fact, all of politics outside of the Middle East and obviously the USA) to be uninteresting as well.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1073 on: May 13, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »

Speakign of Zeppelin, I think it's good that they won the Stairway to Heaven lawsuit.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1074 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »

Because racism is worse than torturing an animal Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies