The "Life" Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:53:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The "Life" Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The "Life" Bill  (Read 5765 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2004, 02:35:31 AM »

I would propose the following legislation to the Congress:

Section A

This nation shall recongnize that Life is the fundamental right guaranteed by our Constitution.

Section B

1) In so doing, we also recongnize the fundamental rights of the fetus as a living person.

2) In recongnizing this fact, we determine that, henceforth, all abortions preformed, except in exrtaordinary circumstances, such as, rape, incest, or life of the mother, shall be demed illegal.

3) That the decision of this Congress shall be backed by the fullest extent of the law.  All doctors found to have preformed any proceedure which falls under the afor-mentioned context, shall be striped of their license to practice and shall be penalized with no less than 5 years spent in prison and no more than 10.

4) Along these lines, any woman having aborted a fetus shall be placed under conciling, paid for by the region where the woman claims residence.

Section C

1) In recognizng the right to Life for all (including the unborn), we too recongnize it for all those having commited what we deem "federal offenses".

2) In recongnizing this fact, we determine that, henceforth, all those found to have commited "capitol crimes" shall be excused from "Death Row" and, in the future, no one shall be sentenced to death anywhere in this nation, excepting extraordinary circumstances, such as High Treason, Mass Murder, Mass Terrorism and Serial Murder.

3) That the desissions of this Congress shall be backed by the fullest extent of the Courts.  All "Capitol Cases" shall be brought to Federal Court and shall not involve the Regional Courts.

Section D

This Bill shall become effective immediatly after passage by Congress.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 02:39:24 AM »

I will vote for A and B. Part C I strongly oppose.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:49:36 AM »

I will vote for A and B. Part C I strongly oppose.

It is engineered to be a compromise bill, Sen. Statesrights.  Each side will get something that they want and we all get what we know to be right in the end.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 03:36:42 AM »

I can NOT compromise on weakening capital punishment.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:49:26 AM »

Well, how exactly do you expect to get the Left to compromise on abortion?  It we are going to author legislation to respect life, it must concern all Life and adress the concerns of all involved.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:52:03 AM »

Well, how exactly do you expect to get the Left to compromise on abortion?  It we are going to author legislation to respect life, it must concern all Life and adress the concerns of all involved.

The intentions are good but I do not understand why we should protect the life of a person that destroyed one persons hopes and dreams and shattered the world of countless family members and friends. We need to define innocent life from a life that is stained with the blood of another citizen.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:37:55 PM »

I oppose this
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »

no one shall be sentenced to death anywhere in this nation, excepting extraordinary circumstances, such as High Treason, Mass Murder, Mass Terrorism and Serial Murder.

This part should be removed.  also maybe something should be added about euthanasia.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 01:17:36 PM »

Can the Vice-President propose legislation? I just need clarification on that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 01:35:14 PM »

someone else can be proposing it
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 03:39:08 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2004, 03:42:49 PM by Sen. Nation »

I oppose this bill, as well. We already have illegal abortions after the first trimester, and that's good enough.

And your exceptions to the no capital punishment rule completely contradict the point of outlawing capital punishment.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 03:59:28 PM »

No where in the Constitution does it say that I can't.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 04:04:37 PM »

I oppose this bill, as well. We already have illegal abortions after the first trimester, and that's good enough.

And your exceptions to the no capital punishment rule completely contradict the point of outlawing capital punishment.

How so?

The Bill states that abortion should not be allowed barring extraordinary circumstances and like wise for capital punishment.  I see no contradiction.  If we are to allow killing under one set of extraordinary circumstances, why not another?

Certainly, the law is meant to protect those who can be rehabilitated and for those who are so sick that they cannot see the fault of their actions, well....
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 05:15:08 PM »

If this Congress has already recongnized the legal rights of the unborn child after three months gestation, what exactly, is preventing this body from recongnizing those rights before this time?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 06:21:09 PM »

Let me first say that I fully support the portion of this bill that addresses abortion.  If that were all this bill contained, I would vote for it in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, this otherwise excellent bill has been saddled with the distasteful Section C, a misguided attempt to prohibit capital punishment, the backbone of any kind of effective justice system in a civilized society.

I must point out that Section C suffers from a grave case of moral equivocation.  First of all, it includes an exception to the proposed prohibition of the death penalty.  This, of course, undermines the entire purpose of the bill.  Is not the message of this bill that one life is just as valuable than another?  If so, why is one crime punishable by death while other crimes, arguably more grave in nature, are not punishable by death?  Allowing the death penalty in the case of treason is a tacit admission that there are indeed cases in which the crime against society is so grave to merit the use of the death penalty in punishing the offender.  Such an allowence is a mortal slap to the moral conjecture behind this bill that suggest that the death penalty is inherently wrong.

I object secondly to including a prohibition of abortion and the death penalty in the same bill for the reason that the obvious comparison between the right of the innocent unborn to live and the right of a convicted rapist, murderer, child molestler, and terrorist (But not those perpetrators of treason, by God!) to be spared of death is an affront to basic human decency.  Regardless of whether or not the death penalty should for moral reasons be prohibited, it is a violation of our most basic morals to suggest that the rights of cold blooded killers are in any way equal to those of us who have never once violated the code of conduct that forms the foundation of civilized society.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »

I understand the concerns of the various parties, that is why I forwarded this proposal.  Clearly, no one is willing to attempt a solution.  My mistake.  I guess I assumed that people with such strongly held beliefs could, at least, see the logic and prudence in teying to make some steps in the right direction here.  Everyone is out to defend their own territory on this issue, as they seem to believe that that their oppinions are more important than results.  Well, I retract my proposal in that case, since there is no support for this measure.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 10:39:21 PM »

*a platoon of latte liberals from Minnesota arrives, and immediatly starts picketing and distributing flyers against this bill*
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 01:24:38 AM »

I understand the concerns of the various parties, that is why I forwarded this proposal.  Clearly, no one is willing to attempt a solution.  My mistake.  I guess I assumed that people with such strongly held beliefs could, at least, see the logic and prudence in teying to make some steps in the right direction here.  Everyone is out to defend their own territory on this issue, as they seem to believe that that their oppinions are more important than results.  Well, I retract my proposal in that case, since there is no support for this measure.

Actually, just about everybody supports half of this bill.  The liberals like the death penalty half and the conservatives like the abortion half.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 01:52:56 AM »

How so?

The Bill states that abortion should not be allowed barring extraordinary circumstances and like wise for capital punishment.  I see no contradiction.  If we are to allow killing under one set of extraordinary circumstances, why not another?

Certainly, the law is meant to protect those who can be rehabilitated and for those who are so sick that they cannot see the fault of their actions, well....

I think the problem a lot of DP supports have is the misconception that those who are against it oppose it in principle. I support capital punishment in principle, but I recognize that it can NOT be flawlessly used, and we have had several individuals come within DAYS of their execution, before being found innocent of thier accused crime.

Even if the criminal's crime is even worse in comparison to other capital punishment-worthy crimes, the death penalty should not be an option. In prison, there are ways to make a mass-murderer or terrorist's stay much worse.

And off topic, for many prisoners that are already in prison, I don't buy the argument that most of them have it good, and are living "as if they were in a hotel," as I've heard some people put it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2004, 01:58:36 AM »

we already have a suitable abortion bill. Now lets debate the death penalty bill. Putting them together is like putting bacon and fudge together. Snaps to whoever gets the reference. Cheesy
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2004, 03:22:26 AM »

we already have a suitable abortion bill. Now lets debate the death penalty bill. Putting them together is like putting bacon and fudge together. Snaps to whoever gets the reference. Cheesy

How so?  They are both important questions concerning our respect for Life.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2004, 08:29:10 AM »

If you had eliminated the exception to the death penalty, I would have supported it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2004, 01:20:43 PM »

If you had eliminated the exception to the death penalty, I would have supported it.

Why allow abortion under extraordinary circumstances, but not the Death Penalty?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2004, 08:18:04 PM »

Why allow abortion under extraordinary circumstances, but not the Death Penalty?

*members of the platoon come over and thwack Supersoulty on the head with their placards*

Because we say so, silly!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 03:19:50 AM »

I demand action on this Bill.  It seems imperitive to me that the most important job of the government is to protect the lives of it's citizens.  I demand action.  I demand that this Bill be given consideration and that we have an up and down vote on it, so that all Senators be put on record as having supported or opposed this.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies