Biden approval ratings thread, 1.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:02:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden approval ratings thread, 1.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden approval ratings thread, 1.0  (Read 288493 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« on: October 02, 2021, 12:54:54 AM »

The issue for Biden's approval is that his Presidency has been washed up. In the beginning there was a wave of enthusiasm for him since there was a promised return to normal. The issue is people don't remember what normal was. The Obama era was a disaster for democrats and Biden's attempt to return to that era could potentially cause similar issues. Unlike Obama however, this time Democrats came in with the slimmest Congressional majorities in decades, thus killing any potential for significant legislation. DC statehood, HR1, whatever their priorities are were out the window in January when Sinema and Manchin were against removing the filibuster. That's basically half of whatever Biden's actual policy proposal was. (Not being Trump doesn't count as policy.)

Now they might not even get infrastructure through and even if the bipartisan bill passes, its not really something Democrats can campaign on in the midterms since Republicans also voted for it. If they somehow pull off a diluted reconciliation bill after this embarrassing failure, then that will be the final piece of Biden's agenda as he becomes a lame duck like Obama was for the next 2 or 6 years.

Covid isn't going away anytime soon, and the economy isn't roaring back either. The dust has pretty much settled on the virus, half the country is ready to move on, the other half doesn't want to go back to normal life anytime soon. Inflation is soaring, and there is no way this is simply transitory. If the White House is showing off that a 4th of July cookout is $0.16 cheaper than the previous year (when in reality it is more due to higher gas prices needed to buy the goods) then there is fundamentally something wrong.

Afghanistan was the biggest failure of the Biden Presidency. He ran on being a strong global leader but after August it was pretty obvious that Biden was incompetent on foreign policy. The American people recognized that and it put him underwater which he might not recover from, at least until 2022.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 01:27:52 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/democratic-rep-tim-ryan-plan-120001263.html

Tim Ryan says he intends to be like Beshear KY win in Trump country, both Beshear and Tim Ryan look alike, both are Blue COLLAR

Both have nice wives and kids

Both Demings and Ryan are only 4 pts down, Rs forget that they underperform when Trump isn't on ballot Are GA Sen 2021 and Cali Gov 2021
Tim Ryan is not going to win. He may come close and possibly even get within 5 but Ohio hates Biden more than ever right now, and I doubt there is going to be major reversion by 2022.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 07:57:58 PM »

Shouldn't we get a 2.0 thread since we are in his 2nd year of the term?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 08:04:31 PM »

Barring an absolute miracle, I think it's fair to say Biden will be underwater come election day at this point. He has a very similar approval to where Trump and Obama 2014 were at this point.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 02:15:43 AM »

Biden's approval has been static (43-44%) since Christmas, I doubt any movement is actually going to happen barring a major event.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 02:29:03 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2024, 02:51:24 AM by Arizona Iced Tea »

Given the continued decline in Biden’s approval polling, I think this can safely be called the worst SOTU (politically) since Ford or Carter.
See the weird thing is initially after watching it, I thought it was a decent speech. But it appears he may have been a bit too divisive which left a bad taste in people's mouths in contrast to his 2020 campaign focused on unity.

Also I sometimes wonder how on earth was Biden able to have a pretty high approval rating for most of 2021? It seems Afghanistan threw him off a cliff he never managed to recover from.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 04:38:37 PM »

Given the continued decline in Biden’s approval polling, I think this can safely be called the worst SOTU (politically) since Ford or Carter.
See the weird thing is initially after watching it, I thought it was a decent speech. But it appears he may have been a bit too divisive which left a bad taste in people's mouths in contrast to his 2020 campaign focused on unity.

Also I sometimes wonder how on earth was Biden able to have a pretty high approval rating for most of 2021? It seems Afghanistan threw him off a cliff he never managed to recover from.

The frustration continues for me. I am baffled at what was so "divisive" about the speech. There was a lot of red meat for the Democratic base, as that's what the speech was meant to shore up and reassure, but the goals, accomplishments, and concepts he espoused really weren't discussed in a firebrand Bernie Sanders sort of way that were meant to exclude anyone except Trump's most zealous supporters, perhaps.

Is promoting a raised minimum wage, affordable health care, reproductive access, a ceasefire for all sides in Israel-Palestine, better pay for teachers, tuition forgiveness, supporting a conservative bill to address the border issue, maintaining a free and fair republic, support for unions, voting rights, protection of earned benefits, and much more all really that alienating? It sounded like actual "populism" to me. But then again, I'm out-of-touch with "real America" apparently, even though they're supposed to care about and support all of this too.

If Biden can't make a dent with a campaign like this and ends up losing, it really will be the fault of an irrational electorate, I'm sorry.
So I took another skim through the speech and I can start to see that the problem was he didn't attempt to do it in a unifying manner. SOTU should try to bring the nation together to tackle priorities facing the country. It should not be utlized like a campaign rally. Unlike Obama, Biden specifically tried to attack the GOP and wanted to exclude them from working with him. That doesn't leave a good taste in people's mouths especially coming from a guy who wanted bipartisanship 4 years ago.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies