Plymouth or Jamestown?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:19:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Plymouth or Jamestown?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Plymouth
Jamestown
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Plymouth or Jamestown?  (Read 4661 times)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »

Heard a joke on Twitter that Democrats vs. Republicans is just Plymouth vs. Jamestown. There was a great deal of disagreement over which was which.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »

I'd say my chances of not being cooked and eaten were probably better at Plymouth than Jamestown, so them. Tongue But in seriousness: there are so many reasons to prefer Plymouth of the two, at least during the early period of its existence. Worse comes to worse, I can always defect to Rhode Island, assuming I survive the first few decades.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 10:15:14 PM »

Obviously Plymouth, one of the most democratic and egalitarian places in the world at the time. Godly Puritans, it turns out, are much better at running a society than aristocratic Cavaliers and profit-seeking adventurers. I truly believe the political cultures of the American North and South in the 19th century can be traced back to this early period.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

I'm inclined to say Plymouth for the reasons listed above. But I'm hesitant as the only thing that would make 17th century colonial life bearable would be being absolutely sh1tfaced all the time. Harder to do among the Puritans.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

Plymouth starved a lot less, and the local Native populations would be more likely to accept me there when I inevitably became tired of the trappings of colonial life and came to desire a more authentic existence.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »

I agree with the Plymouth consensus, even though I'd have to keep my religious beliefs to myself. Less starvation, somewhat less hostile (at least early on) relations with the Native Americans, and generally more competent and more public-spirited governance make it the obvious choice.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:01:34 PM »

Jamestown is clearly Republican, as the early colonists were there to seek their fortune, yet were disdainful of doing actual work.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:05:24 PM »

New England winters and malaria are both terrifying.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »

Jamestown was fiscally conservative, Plymouth was socially conservative.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 09:57:10 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2021, 10:32:51 PM by darklordoftech »

People talk about “our Puritan roots”, but “greed is good” seems more like Jamestown than like the Puritans.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »

WI: St. Augustine
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 04:50:14 AM »

People talk about “our Puritan roots”, but “greed is good” seems more like Jamestown than like the Puritans.

Of course it is more complicated that this, but I suppose one could argue the protestant work ethic is essentially "greed is God."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 09:14:54 AM »

Of course it is more complicated that this, but I suppose one could argue the protestant work ethic is essentially "greed is God."

Not really, no.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 08:44:24 PM »

America is a mashing together of contradictory origin stories, that help to define the problems that we still experience to this day.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »

Jamestown being "cavalier" as such would indeed be more permissive of "various" behaviors provided you had the money to make people look the other way. Much less so in Plymouth with its "our way or to hell with you (literally)" approach taken by the Puritans.

So the Ukraine meme kind of applies here.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »

Jamestown being "cavalier" as such would indeed be more permissive of "various" behaviors provided you had the money to make people look the other way. Much less so in Plymouth with its "our way or to hell with you (literally)" approach taken by the Puritans.

Except that in a context in which immorality is a defining feature of the aristocracy, religious moralism is not a "conservative" attitude. In such a social structure, the plain, russet-coated Puritan who knows what he fights for is more liberal than that you call a cavalier. And it's not like the episcopal church of the South was any more religiously tolerant than the Plymouth Puritans; to the contrary, it was much less so.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »

Write in: Philadelphia.

And to Orser67's point in the other thread:  American Nations is an excellent read and has pretty objective takes on all of the different cultures.  Including the Puritans... intolerance towards outsiders and what we modern Americans define as "Liberty" and personal freedom.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »

And to Orser67's point in the other thread:  American Nations is an excellent read and has pretty objective takes on all of the different cultures.  Including the Puritans... intolerance towards outsiders and what we modern Americans define as "Liberty" and personal freedom.

I guess that's why the Puritans in England allowed the Jews to return to the country after 400 years of being banned under the Catholic turned Anglican monarchy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »

And to Orser67's point in the other thread:  American Nations is an excellent read and has pretty objective takes on all of the different cultures.  Including the Puritans... intolerance towards outsiders and what we modern Americans define as "Liberty" and personal freedom.

I guess that's why the Puritans in England allowed the Jews to return to the country after 400 years of being banned under the Catholic turned Anglican monarchy.

Things can be done in a selective fashion.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 06:25:01 PM »

Claiming that the Cavaliers were more “socially liberal” than the Puritans is certainly quite the take. I didn’t realise you could own slaves and spit at peasants, but so long as look the other way with regards to drunkenness and partying, you’re socially liberally. Are David Cameron and Boris Johnson lefties because of the entitled debauchery of their younger years?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 06:25:42 PM »

How about Roanoke?
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 09:43:57 PM »

Things can be done in a selective fashion.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but the readmission of the Jews to England was not an exception to a rule or some great aberration from the Puritans' general religious policy. It makes quite a bit of sense contextually when one knows that the Puritans were tolerant of Protestant Dissenters and others whom the old regime had persecuted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 03:50:06 AM »

I guess we're just going to ignore that Rhode Island exists, then. How could it, when the Puritans of Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay were so tolerant of Protestant dissenters?

Not so different from how Quakers were treated anywhere else in the New World —but then, that is the point.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 03:53:42 AM »

Claiming that the Cavaliers were more “socially liberal” than the Puritans is certainly quite the take. I didn’t realise you could own slaves and spit at peasants, but so long as look the other way with regards to drunkenness and partying, you’re socially liberally. Are David Cameron and Boris Johnson lefties because of the entitled debauchery of their younger years?

Did I miss where Yankee said the Cavaliers were "socially liberal" somewhere? In any case, let's not pretend slavery was unique to the Southern colonies in this period; it very much was not.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 03:56:16 AM »

Did I miss where Yankee said the Cavaliers were "socially liberal" somewhere? In any case, let's not pretend slavery was unique to the Southern colonies in this period; it very much was not.

You’re right, he didn’t directly say it, but it was sort of implied that they were more so than the Puritans. The fact that they weren’t the only ones to initially own slaves doesn’t the change the fact that they held a deeply, uniquely (for America) reactionary worldview.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies