January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:57:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 139804 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: July 21, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »

I don't think it's been noted on here, but Pelosi vetoed Jordan and Banks.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »

You are late. It's been posted/discussed.
Page 4, Reply #81.

I missed that post. But they didn't include a source, which I have. It's definitive now, and seems to have been a rumor earlier.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:44:48 PM »

Another bipartisan development if it happens:

I still find it galling how Riggleman lost reelection last year because of having officiated a gay wedding. So much for the Republican Party becoming more tolerant on those kinds of issues. And his successor, Bob Good, is a staunch Trumpist who invests himself in conspiracy theories-the complete opposite of Riggleman in these respects.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 08:47:59 AM »

Growing group of GOP members wants McCarthy to punish Kinzinger and Cheney for joining January 6 committee
A growing group of rank-and-file House Republicans wants House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and GOP leadership to punish Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger for accepting a position from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to serve on the select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection.

The push to seek punishment rose to a new level on Sunday, after Pelosi announced that Kinzinger had accepted her invitation to join the committee. Initially, most rank-and-file Republicans were content to let Cheney serve without much of a fight, but Kinzinger's addition has changed the conversation and has put a new level of pressure on McCarthy.

Republicans view Cheney and Kinzinger as acting in the interests of the Democrats, and as diverting attention from opposing Biden's "radical agenda." And of course, they don't want to investigate the events of January 6th any further, wish to pretend that they didn't happen, and want to move on as quickly as possible.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 06:59:25 PM »

It's a shame that one is a "Pelosi Republican" just because they don't bow down and kiss Trump's feet, despite holding staunchly conservative views on all other issues.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »

I'm watching some of the testimony now. The past years certainly have been very volatile politically. We've had the Kavanaugh hearings, Trump's two impeachments, and now this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »

Maybe this is totally out of line, but something I thought of while watching some clips on Twitter this morning...if he would have any interest (and even aligns this way), should Democrats try to recruit Michael Fanone to run for office? I mean, I'm not sure where he's from originally (if it's not DC, but the accent is difficult to pin down) but he would be a great face for the party and he seems to be genuinely motivated by the horror he went through.

He must be from somewhere in the South. But aside from that, I've continued to watch the testimony, and Kinzinger is certainly outraged about what happened on January 6. Active-duty and retired law enforcement and military, I would imagine, would be more deeply affected by what occurred than many of the rest of us. But unfortunately, aside from Kinzinger, all of the other Republican veterans in Congress have allowed partisanship and their loyalty to Trump to override this sentiment, and it's a disgrace.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »

I'm glad US Capitol Police Sergeant Aquilino Gonell isn't walking a beat in the Bronx.  Roll Eyes
This post is bad and you should feel bad

And Sergeant Gonell is an Iraq War veteran, so he certainly had to experience tense and harrowing moments on duty before what happened on January 6.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »

Maybe this is totally out of line, but something I thought of while watching some clips on Twitter this morning...if he would have any interest (and even aligns this way), should Democrats try to recruit Michael Fanone to run for office? I mean, I'm not sure where he's from originally (if it's not DC, but the accent is difficult to pin down) but he would be a great face for the party and he seems to be genuinely motivated by the horror he went through.

I do believe he said he voted for Trump in 2016, so I'm not sure how aligned he is with the Democratic platform, I think he's more motivated by his own trauma than politics.

From hearing him talk, I got the impression that-like Kinzinger-he was a conservative Republican or at the very least right-leaning. Like I said earlier, this is an event that should transcend partisan boundaries.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »

Stefanik says that Pelosi is to blame for the attack.

This woman truly has disgraced herself over the past several months. She went from being a moderate, "reasonable" Republican to a fire-breathing Trumpist who bathes herself in conspiracy theories.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »

Can you imagine if that shameless clown Jim Jordan was on the panel?

I can't even. Jordan would have been attacking those officers and trying to impeach the legitimacy of their testimony. That's precisely why Pelosi excluded him from the committee.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 11:32:36 PM »

Considering that the 20th anniversary of 9/11 is tomorrow, it's distressing to know that January 6th helps to demonstrate how much more divided and polarized the country has become since that great tragedy, in contrast to the national unity that took shape in its immediate aftermath.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »

Honestly. This guy is so freakin corrupt and has so many cases against him. HOW can people still like him and think he should be president again??

Like just…how?

I saw John Barrasso on ABC's This Week earlier this morning, and George Stephanopoulos was asking him whether Trump was correct when he said that he could declassify documents by "just thinking." Barrasso evaded the question, claiming he hadn't heard about Trump's claim, and engaged in a lengthy word salad, suggesting that there was bias against Trump. Stephanopoulos didn't buy this explanation, obviously. But it's amazing how most Republicans continue to defend the man and to embrace him. They are so terrified of his base, or so captured in conspiracy theories, that they cannot move on from him.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 02:45:43 PM »

This footage of Pelosi & Schumer in their secure locations is insane, holy sh*t

It certainly is. I've been watching coverage of the hearing for the better part of two hours now. Apparently, it was a documentarian - who I assume is a congressional staffer or aide - who recorded that footage on her phone. She certainly had considerable foresight in doing so, as it is historical footage that will be shown in documentaries and films in the years ahead. And it's very revealing how the congressional leaders had to take responsibility for getting law enforcement resources to the Capitol, while Trump sat on his laurels for hours and did nothing.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »

This footage of Pelosi & Schumer in their secure locations is insane, holy sh*t

It certainly is. I've been watching coverage of the hearing for the better part of two hours now. Apparently, it was a documentarian - who I assume is a congressional staffer or aide - who recorded that footage on her phone. She certainly had considerable foresight in doing so, as it is historical footage that will be shown in documentaries and films in the years ahead. And it's very revealing how the congressional leaders had to take responsibility for getting law enforcement resources to the Capitol, while Trump sat on his laurels for hours and did nothing.

CBS reported that is was a relative of Nancy Pelosi that was doing the recording. A niece or granddaughter, I think is what they said. This individual had some connection or experience dealing to reporting/media.

They said that she filmed a documentary involving George W. Bush many years ago.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 05:19:12 PM »

Democrats message at this point should essentially be - if you want Democracy to continue and Trump to be held accountable, vote to keep us the house.

Yep, even a vote for the relatively normal "good Republican" in Rhode Island is a vote to authorize and normalize a 1/6 every 4 years going forward.

This is what bugs me about people like OSR. People who realize how awful Trump is to the future of democracy, but are perfectly happy to vote for other Republicans. That vote for those Republicans is a blank check to future infringements on democracy.

But people like OSR are either blind or ignorant to that.

Are you saying that voters should not be voting for any Republican candidate, not even for local or county-level offices? Not even for relatively nonpartisan offices such as County Coroner?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 07:41:10 PM »

Democrats message at this point should essentially be - if you want Democracy to continue and Trump to be held accountable, vote to keep us the house.

Yep, even a vote for the relatively normal "good Republican" in Rhode Island is a vote to authorize and normalize a 1/6 every 4 years going forward.

This is what bugs me about people like OSR. People who realize how awful Trump is to the future of democracy, but are perfectly happy to vote for other Republicans. That vote for those Republicans is a blank check to future infringements on democracy.

But people like OSR are either blind or ignorant to that.

Are you saying that voters should not be voting for any Republican candidate, not even for local or county-level offices? Not even for relatively nonpartisan offices such as County Coroner?

Any vote for a Republican during this moment in time where a coup was just attempted, and where Trump remains in place to try another one, signals to those in power within the GOP that THAT kind of anti-American rhetoric and action will get them support and win them votes.

The only way to combat this is a harsh rebuke until the party can clean itself out.

Why haven't the voters gotten this message then? What will we say if Republicans do regain control of Congress, or even of the House?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies