Former Vice President Walter Mondale has passed away at age 93 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:17:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former Vice President Walter Mondale has passed away at age 93 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former Vice President Walter Mondale has passed away at age 93  (Read 3633 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
« edited: April 20, 2021, 09:48:10 AM by StateBoiler »

Assuming the current living vice presidents match Mondale's longevity:

Dick Cheney:  May 15, 2034
Joe Biden:  March 4, 2036
Dan Quayle:  May 19, 2040
Al Gore:  July 14, 2041
Mike Pence:  September 19, 2052
Kamala Harris:  February 2, 2058

Between Cheney-to-Gore + Bubba/Dubya/Trump, we may be in for a slew of POTUS/VP deaths in the 2030s and 2040s.
That's the thing about having so many presidents and VP's born close together. 4/5 of the past presidents and 4/6 (counting Biden) of the past VP's were born in the 1940s. Add in three more unsuccessful pres nominees. Since most of them are decently healthy for their age and obviously the fame+wealth+great healthcare benefit adds a few years to your life I'd expect them all to live a while longer but the human body can only go so far.

I think someone mentioned this with Canada, that they went so long with none of their former Prime Ministers dying they're in for a slew of them in short order.

If Quayle lives to 2040, he'll have had a 47-year post-VP career. Considering how he completely left politics after 1996 and has been largely quiet politically, he's going to be completely forgotten by everyone living then. If you say to know about politics you have to be say 18 years old, that would be everyone younger than 55 would know little about him.

Can't say I knew much about Mondale as far as during my life where I knew about politics (the '84 election was when I was 2 years old) other than he was parachuted in to replace Wellstone after his death in the Minnesota Senate race he wound up losing.

Mondale's the first death of a Vice President that did not become President since Spiro Agnew in 1996. Before him since Agnew was largely private in his life post-resignation, you have to go back to Nelson Rockefeller's death in 1979 (Nixon '94, Ford '06, G.H.W. Bush '18).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies