Do you hate both sides on most issues? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:11:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you hate both sides on most issues? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you hate both sides on most issues?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you hate both sides on most issues?  (Read 2789 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:31 AM »

Immigration tops my list ironically. On the one side you have those who don't believe in any limits or restrictions at all, and the other wants no immigration at all. Both are misguided and contrary to economic and societal interests.

Trade would be another primarily because for one thing, the type of free trade of the bilateral variety that we had been pursuing lately is hardly real free trade at all certainly in comparison to the multilateral free trade pursued in the aftermath of World War II. I tend to take a more realistic approach to things as opposed to some idealistic one. It is thus that while I think free trade is preferrable, if pursued in isolation from the effects on the ground, such could lead to a counter reaction in the political world that pushes protectionism, which is obviously not the desired outcome.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »

Immigration tops my list ironically. On the one side you have those who don't believe in any limits or restrictions at all, and the other wants no immigration at all. Both are misguided and contrary to economic and societal interests.
While that may be a prevalent opinion on this forum, I would hardly say that the Democratic party wants to remove all immigration restrictions.

Ostenibly yes, but the long term effect of cyclically granting amnesty is to undermine those restrictions in place to the point where they might as well not even exist. Frankly, what is the difference? At least the openly open borders crowd is honest about it.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:23 AM »

While that may be a prevalent opinion on this forum, I would hardly say that the Democratic party wants to remove all immigration restrictions.

Ostenibly yes, but the long term effect of cyclically granting amnesty is to undermine those restrictions in place to the point where they might as well not even exist. Frankly, what is the difference? At least the openly open borders crowd is honest about it.

As a liberal, I actually do support increased border security and enforcement of laws along with giving a path to citizenship to those who are already here (and the DREAM Act). I highly doubt most Democrats secretly support "open borders".

The effect of always taking that approach is precisely such though in effect. Increasing border security from where it is now would be of minimal effect. It could help in some areas but overall, it has little return to be offered from doing such. It is certainly not a magically bullet that absolves the consequences for continually giving amnesty.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:55 AM »

Not really. Ending all immigration isn't exactly a mainstream view in American politics...

Where does it say that the side has to be mainstream?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47:50 AM »

Not really. Ending all immigration isn't exactly a mainstream view in American politics...

Where does it say that the side has to be mainstream?

I assumed the "both sides" referred to the Republican and Democratic positions. I suppose that was a pretty big assumption, but if "both sides" referrers to the furthest right and furthest left position on each issue, then I think just about everybody would hate "both sides" on quite a few issues.

I didn't start the thread, so I don't there. But there was quite a lot of emphasize on the fact that there were numerous and far more then two positions on an issue. As for this one, I was probably thinking of the divided within the GOP, but that is really just an extension of the divides in society at large though on the issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies