Should elections be national holidays?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:05:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should elections be national holidays?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should elections be national holidays?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Should elections be national holidays?  (Read 3410 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 02:47:31 PM »

OR, you could just have the election on saturdays. Roll Eyes
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 02:56:26 PM »

You have absolutely no moral obligation to vote, and voting for someone just to further your interests is actually immoral by any sane, consistent standard I can think of...
On the contrary, a rational being would not intentionally to the detriment of his own interests. One is not, in my opinion, morally obligated to vote contrary to one's own interests, just as one is not morally obligated to give charity. Decrying a particular vote as immoral strikes me as arbitrary and capricious.

I agree, though, that citizens are not morally obligated to vote in the first place.

Is stealing wrong, or not?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »

OR, you could just have the election on saturdays. Roll Eyes

Yes, but then we wouldn't get an extra paid holiday! Smiley

In all seriousness, though, people are more likely to be out of town on Saturday then on Tuesday. If Tuesday were a holiday but Monday was not, most people wouldn't be travelling or out of town and thus unable to vote. Come to think of it, Wednesday would probably be even better to have as election day.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2005, 03:21:45 PM »

Congress has no constitutional authority to grant paid leave, and national holidays are irrelevant except with regard to federal operations.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 03:29:08 PM »

Polls here in Virginia are open before I go to work.  I can go in at 6am, fill out my ballot, and head right on in to DC without interrupting my schedule.  However, I think the day should be a national holiday just so people would understand how important it is for people to do their responsibility as citizens and vote.

A national holiday is just another day off.  I don't think it would increase voter participation one iota.  The obstacles that people claim keep them from voting are just cheap excuses.  Remove them, and they'll find another obstacle.  I think we're better off without lazy, dysfunctional people voting in large numbers in any case.

Not only would a national holiday create a day off, but it would crate the likelihood of an extended weekend. If it remained on Tuesday, many people would take a four day weekend to travel, just as happens when July 4 falls on a Tuesday. The net effect would not encourage any additional voting.

If one was concerned with the ability to vote in a timely fashion, longer hours are the best solution. The next best option is to place it on a weekend, but I don't think most people want to give up a weekend day to vote.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2005, 04:13:18 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2005, 04:15:10 PM by nclib »

It is NOT a citizen's responsibility to vote. In fact, it's your responsibility NOT to vote unless you know what you're talking about, which most people do not.

It IS however, your responsibility to be well-informed.

That said, I think it would be a good idea to make election day a national holiday.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005, 04:15:07 PM »

It is NOT a citizen's responsibility to vote. In fact, it's your responsibility NOT to vote unless you know what you're talking about, which most people do not.

That said, I think it would be a good idea to make election day be a national holiday.
well saidand i completely agree. making it a national holidday would get my dad out to the primaries much more often.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005, 04:51:16 PM »

Yes, obviously it should be a paid holiday.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 05:59:32 PM »

That would mean time and a half or double time, right? Smiley

I have no problem with that.  Good Keyensian effects, obviously.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2005, 06:31:29 PM »

That said, I think it would be a good idea to make election day be a national holiday.
well saidand i completely agree. making it a national holidday would get my dad out to the primaries much more often.

Primaries would not have a national holiday.  Only actual elections.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2005, 07:32:32 PM »

Polls here in Virginia are open before I go to work.  I can go in at 6am, fill out my ballot, and head right on in to DC without interrupting my schedule.  However, I think the day should be a national holiday just so people would understand how important it is for people to do their responsibility as citizens and vote.

A national holiday is just another day off.  I don't think it would increase voter participation one iota.  The obstacles that people claim keep them from voting are just cheap excuses.  Remove them, and they'll find another obstacle.  I think we're better off without lazy, dysfunctional people voting in large numbers in any case.

Not only would a national holiday create a day off, but it would crate the likelihood of an extended weekend. If it remained on Tuesday, many people would take a four day weekend to travel, just as happens when July 4 falls on a Tuesday. The net effect would not encourage any additional voting.

If one was concerned with the ability to vote in a timely fashion, longer hours are the best solution. The next best option is to place it on a weekend, but I don't think most people want to give up a weekend day to vote.

True, which is why I support moving election day to Wednesday. I also support the polls being open longer hours (possibly 24 hours a day...hey, if Walmart can be open 24 hours, why not the polls? Smiley )
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »

No. If you can't put aside time to vote on a work day for your nation's future you do not deserve the right.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2005, 07:36:16 PM »

No. The first Tuesday of November is voting day, and should remain so. And eliminate "same-day registration", too
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2005, 11:04:53 PM »

Primaries would not have a national holiday.  Only actual elections.
why not? they are just as important.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2005, 11:13:38 PM »

No. If you can't put aside time to vote on a work day for your nation's future you do not deserve the right.

No love for the single mom working two jobs with two young kids to take care of?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2005, 11:40:34 PM »

A billion here and a billion there and soon we're talking real money.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2005, 11:41:13 PM »

While democrats get angry that Republican companies change the shift times 6 months before elections so that they cant go to the polls and vote.

Proof? Maybe another poster to add to the "most paranoid" list.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2005, 11:53:54 PM »

A billion here and a billion there and soon we're talking real money.

Oh, no, it will take trillions in redistribution to set this sad land straight.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2005, 12:04:37 AM »

why not? they are just as important.

I honestly don't think so.  If the individual parties want to narrow down their candidates to just one person, that is something for them to figure out who will run.  I wouldn't mind parties running multiple candidates on election day, like some states do.  That way, it forces people to learn who the candidates are rather than just voting down the party line.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2005, 06:17:07 PM »

No love for the single mom working two jobs with two young kids to take care of?

My mother has 7 kids to worry about, and she gets around to voting. Of course she is not single, but she works the year riund at home and can somehow find time in all the responcibilities she has to vote. Those single moms should as well. It takes little time to practice our right to vote.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2005, 06:45:03 PM »

My mother has 7 kids to worry about, and she gets around to voting. Of course she is not single, but she works the year riund at home and can somehow find time in all the responcibilities she has to vote. Those single moms should as well. It takes little time to practice our right to vote.

You have six siblings!! Whoa! Typical Iowa farm family. Tongue
Shira

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2005, 07:42:43 PM »

A holiday would increase the overall turnout. Experts say that a low number is good for the GOP and a high one is good for the DEM.  I tend to agree with this assertion.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2005, 09:36:37 PM »

A holiday would increase the overall turnout. Experts say that a low number is good for the GOP and a high one is good for the DEM.  I tend to agree with this assertion.

That assertion was commonly believed among political scientists until last year. The demographics of the high turnout in 2004 have caused many experts to rethink that old view.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies