Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:51:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 344358 times)
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: October 22, 2021, 10:40:20 AM »

Talk about gaffes, Youngkin's personal instinct is a "no" on same-sex marriage:

This is probably less of a gaffe than you think. I checked at least two recent polls about same-sex marriage and they asked if it should be legal, not whether they personally approve of it. Someone should run a more careful poll on this but I believe that the opinion "no I don't approve of same-sex marriage, however they should be legal" will have substantial support, and that's the view that Youngkin is expressing here.

As its not a live issue, anyone who cares about it abstractly is a hardcore partisan so it doesn't matter.

Though I suspect the bigger issue if it were to become one is that Youngkin is lying to pander and people come up with a ton of Carlyle woke pandering in with his signature. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1826 on: October 22, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »

The issue for Youngkin is that much like how he twisted McAuliffe's words on teachers/schools, McAuliffe can easily use Youngkins simple "no" to say he doesn't support same-sex marriage.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1827 on: October 22, 2021, 11:25:58 AM »

The issue for Youngkin is that much like how he twisted McAuliffe's words on teachers/schools, McAuliffe can easily use Youngkins simple "no" to say he doesn't support same-sex marriage.
VA-2004: “My opponent supports same-sex marriage!”
VA-2021: “My opponent doesn’t support same sex marriage!”
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1828 on: October 22, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »

What was twisted?

Btw, since McAuliffe's statement, you're trying tirelessly to see everywhere Youngkin's "gaffe", which kinda proves that you, indeed, yourself think, that McAuliffe made a gaffe.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1829 on: October 22, 2021, 11:44:56 AM »

Even Liz Cheney, who represents one of the most conservative states in the country, supports same sex marriage.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1830 on: October 22, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »

Even Liz Cheney, who represents one of the most conservative states in the country, supports same sex marriage.

“I personally am opposed, but I don’t think there should be laws against it” is a reasonable belief. My guess is that when you combine the amount of people who oppose SSM in VA with the amount of people who oppose it personally but not legally, you get close to half the state population

Non issue
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1831 on: October 22, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »

“I personally am opposed, but I don’t think there should be laws against it” is a reasonable belief. My guess is that when you combine the amount of people who oppose SSM in VA with the amount of people who oppose it personally but not legally, you get close to half the state population

Non issue
I mean that’s my stance and I am a partisan Democrat.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1832 on: October 22, 2021, 03:15:32 PM »

It's very interesting here the amount of excuses that are being made for Youngkin day in day out.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1833 on: October 22, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »

Non issue
I mean that’s my stance and I am a partisan Democrat.

I think it’s wrong to not give people their civil rights and allowing gay people to be married is a civil right but I’m not 100% comfortable with a church I go to officiating a gay marriage though I would think it would be great if they were blessed and I do recognize that just a few years ago, I would have had trouble getting married.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1834 on: October 22, 2021, 05:34:50 PM »

I am getting a lot of texts from the Youngkin campaign/GOP lately.  I usually get very few if any GOP texts because they are probably sure I lean the other way.  This tells me that Youngkin's campaign doesn't think he has enough votes out there and needs to persuade or swing voters.  That's bad news for Youngkin because Virginia has very few persuadable voters.  I really don't care what the polls say, the Dems will do better than the polls are letting on.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1835 on: October 22, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »

So I just got off from phonebanking for McAuliffe, and most of the people I contacted were Youngkin supporters. Probably doesn't mean much in terms of who's going to win, but it does worry me. One of them even cussed me out.
Duke of York

« Reply #1836 on: October 22, 2021, 06:08:46 PM »

So I just got off from phonebanking for McAuliffe, and most of the people I contacted were Youngkin supporters. Probably doesn't mean much in terms of who's going to win, but it does worry me. One of them even cussed me out.

That doesn't indicate much. How many people did you talk too?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1837 on: October 22, 2021, 06:09:11 PM »

Like five or six. Most of them didn't pick up.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1838 on: October 22, 2021, 06:10:22 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2021, 06:16:59 PM by Matty »

A literal shrug of the shoulders

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1839 on: October 22, 2021, 06:40:04 PM »

Is the McAullife campaign just having you call random numbers?   They should be having you call those who were targeted in 2020 and said they were voting for Biden.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1840 on: October 22, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »

Is the McAullife campaign just having you call random numbers?   They should be having you call those who were targeted in 2020 and said they were voting for Biden.

I would imagine it's the latter, unless they're really stupid. Either way, it's rather sobering. I really think this race is a tossup.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1841 on: October 22, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »

I would imagine it's the latter, unless they're really stupid. Either way, it's rather sobering. I really think this race is a tossup.

Hard to imagine that someone who voted for Biden would cuss you out for calling from the McAuliffe campaign.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1842 on: October 22, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »

Hard to imagine that someone who voted for Biden would cuss you out for calling from the McAuliffe campaign.

Well, there are plenty of people who voted for Obama who are now pure Q fanatics.
Duke of York

« Reply #1843 on: October 22, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »

I disagree. Polling and early voting isn't indicating this.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1844 on: October 22, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »

And we all know how much Virginia voters cared about that scandal.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1845 on: October 22, 2021, 07:43:26 PM »

And we all know how much Virginia voters cared about that scandal.

I don’t think this was a case of outright dismissing the scandal - the push to oust Northam got stalled once it was revealed that the next two people in line to succeed him also had baggage of their own, and the next person after that was a Republican. I think they probably would have succeeded in pushing Northam out if they could ensure that his successor would be a Democrat free of baggage (which is exactly what happened to Cuomo, as his successor did not have anywhere near the amount of baggage that the two people in line after Northam had). Additionally, had Northam been eligible to run for re-election, this issue would have at least invited a significant primary challenger.
Hollywood
« Reply #1846 on: October 22, 2021, 07:58:15 PM »

I can't imagine his organization targeting anything but Likely D Biden voters at this point.  They usually switch over to lean D and undecideds during the final week of the election. 

I remember when I worked for a PAC re-electing Corzine after Obama had won in 2008.  We had tons of new voter data from the Obama 2.0 campaign helping us target lean Ds.  I was berated on the phones every single day by Democrats and lean D independents that were sick tax increases.  It's all they cared about. We made no headway in suburban communities.  Didn't matter if they were African American, Hispanic or White. 
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1847 on: October 22, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »

A literal shrug of the shoulders would be the best response to questions about someone else's offensive Halloween costume from 40 years ago.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1848 on: October 22, 2021, 08:50:06 PM »

A literal shrug of the shoulders would be the best response to questions about someone else's offensive Halloween costume from 40 years ago.
This.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1849 on: October 22, 2021, 09:38:00 PM »

I can't imagine his organization targeting anything but Likely D Biden voters at this point.  They usually switch over to lean D and undecideds during the final week of the election. 

I remember when I worked for a PAC re-electing Corzine after Obama had won in 2008.  We had tons of new voter data from the Obama 2.0 campaign helping us target lean Ds.  I was berated on the phones every single day by Democrats and lean D independents that were sick tax increases.  It's all they cared about. We made no headway in suburban communities.  Didn't matter if they were African American, Hispanic or White. 

Lol I find it very hard to believe you would ever work for a Democrat.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies