Largest ever study of Atheists in America. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:48:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Largest ever study of Atheists in America. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest ever study of Atheists in America.  (Read 1016 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 07, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »

Some fascinating tidbits here. Thanks for posting this, Andrew.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »

Wow, I figured LGBTQ numbers would be higher than the general population, but that is a big jump.

It may be the sample but I know that Gallup and Pew have found similar figures of a higher non religious belief amongst LGBT and queer people. The reason for which should hopefully be self evident.

On paper, of course.  However, an anecdotal example is my girlfriend's best friend from high school is a gay man who would identify as "Catholic."  Part of that is his part-Peruvian heritage, maybe, but I still think he'd be adamant about it, regardless of his actual Biblical beliefs or whatever.  This is of course one example, but I certainly wouldn't automatically assume an LGTBQ person I met was a "None," though it obviously wouldn't shock me at all.

I'm one of three LGBT Catholics in my close friend group. The fact that LGBT people are disproportionately nonreligious doesn't mean all LGBT people are nonreligious; nobody is suggesting that.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »

This active distrust and dislike of atheists that's being discussed is sort of culturally alien to me. I obviously don't live in nearly as much of a resolutely secular bubble as Dule does, but New England is still one of the less-religious parts of the country at this point and I associate nosy overconcern with other people's irreligiosity mostly with the elderly and with transplants from the Midwest or South.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »

This active distrust and dislike of atheists that's being discussed is sort of culturally alien to me. I obviously don't live in nearly as much of a resolutely secular bubble as Dule does, but New England is still one of the less-religious parts of the country at this point and I associate nosy overconcern with other people's irreligiosity mostly with the elderly and with transplants from the Midwest or South.

I grew up just outside Worcester, Mass. It's quite secular. But at school I did come across small number of religious students, mostly catholics.

I'm Catholic myself. I'm not very familiar with Worcester in particular, but the Pioneer Valley, where I live, is very much a "mostly secular, but there are definitely still religious people around" kind of place. Lots of Buddhists these days--and not just white converts, there are Southeast Asian immigrant and refugee populations too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies