Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:37:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should taxes on these be higher or lower? (see post below)
both higher

inheritance higher/lottery lower

inheritance lower/lottery higher

both the same

inheritance the same/lottery higher

inheritance the same/lottery lower

inheritance higher/lottery the same

inheritance lower/lottery the same

both lower

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings  (Read 2493 times)
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« on: October 23, 2005, 08:27:05 AM »

Ideally both eliminated, but I'd settle for dramatically lowering the lottery tax while eliminating the inheritance tax.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:09:31 PM »

For something to be considered an income, is there an inference that one has to work for it or make an informed decision or do something in order to receive the money aside from having good timing and aside from being "lucky"? I would buy that argument if someone were to advance it because being lucky or having good timing is too arbitrary a reason for me for the government to penalize someone. Yes, it's an income, but it's not something that's worked for, in a sense. Too arbitrary a reason to penalize someone, IMO, if it's taxing someone for being lucky and I agree that it is.

As to the inheritance tax, it doesn't preclude anyone else from making a fortune and it doesn't in and of itself keep the wealth all in one spot, so it doesn't keep a caste system out and it doesn't guard against feudalism. People can lose fortunes at any time, mainly via making stupid decisions or by being wasteful. Others, on the other hand, can make them at any time. I think it's blatantly unfair; the government shouldn't intrude into what and how someone wants to leave behind an estate and it shouldn't step in front of someone receiving an estate. They can't come in and say, okay, you have 2 kids, so 50% goes to each one, so I don't think the government should interfere at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies