Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:04:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should taxes on these be higher or lower? (see post below)
both higher

inheritance higher/lottery lower

inheritance lower/lottery higher

both the same

inheritance the same/lottery higher

inheritance the same/lottery lower

inheritance higher/lottery the same

inheritance lower/lottery the same

both lower

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings  (Read 2491 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: October 23, 2005, 04:09:32 AM »

Inheritance tax should be quite high (say 50%) above a certain level - somewhere between 2 and 10 millions.  I do think it is appropriate to treat it differently from regular income, as an inheritance typically represents some 40-50 years of grueling ass-kissing for most heirs.

Lottery winnings should simply be taxed as regular income for that year, since that is clearly what they are.  The top marginal income tax rate should be about 70%, but should only kick in at quite high levels.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »

Taxes on wealth gained by luck (including the luck of being born into a wealthy family) are some of the most important taxes we have.

There is a lot of truth in this, but keep in mind that successfully inheriting involves not only the luck of birth, but 40 or so years, on average, of sucking up to the horrible old misers.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »

Taxes on wealth gained by luck (including the luck of being born into a wealthy family) are some of the most important taxes we have.

There is a lot of truth in this, but keep in mind that successfully inheriting involves not only the luck of birth, but 40 or so years, on average, of sucking up to the horrible old misers.

I once heard a saying "He who marries for money earns it."  I think that could apply to any type of inheritance.  And you are a prime example of people who have not been well served or blessed as a result of being born into a family with money.  You will be the last generation to have wealth in your family.

Yes, I do not plan to have any children.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »

I once heard a saying "He who marries for money earns it."  I think that could apply to any type of inheritance.  And you are a prime example of people who have not been well served or blessed as a result of being born into a family with money.  You will be the last generation to have wealth in your family.

Yes, I do not plan to have any children.

That's not what I meant.  There wouldn't be anything for them even if you did.

Absurd.  Anyone can follow the simple rule - 'don't spend the principle'.

Of course the nice thing about not having any progeny is there is no need to be concerned about this.  If you think about it anyone who leaves an estate is an idiot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies