Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:34:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should taxes on these be higher or lower? (see post below)
both higher

inheritance higher/lottery lower

inheritance lower/lottery higher

both the same

inheritance the same/lottery higher

inheritance the same/lottery lower

inheritance higher/lottery the same

inheritance lower/lottery the same

both lower

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Taxes on Inheritance and Lottery Winnings  (Read 2492 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2005, 08:44:23 PM »

*If you think either tax should be eliminated, vote 'lower'.

I vote Option 2. The absence of an inheritance tax makes the rich richer and the poor poorer. A lottery, however, can be won by anyone.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 08:56:55 PM »

The absence of an inheritance tax makes the poor poorer? You are a brain dead kook.

If people stopped stealing from the rich, would they be 'making' the rich richer?
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:17:59 PM »

If nothing else, stealing from the rich circulates money and helps the economy. The Egyptians would have fallen long before they did had theives not plundered the tombs to circulate the money.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 10:19:21 PM »

Wow. You don't understand money, and you don't understand banking.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 10:34:09 PM »

Money is funny stuff. It is actually completely useless. Very few people actually want money.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 10:36:13 PM »

That truism conflicts with your earlier statement.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 10:44:09 PM »

It most certainly does not. Very few people want money. They want the stuff they can buy with money. This is why people are more than happy to take your money. The more stuff that can be bought with money, the more people want money, which creates a booming economy.

If everyone wanted to keep their money rather than spend it, then you wouldn't be able to buy much of anything with money, and so there would effectively be no economy.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 10:49:51 PM »

Having more money in circulation does not add to the number of things you can buy with money, and therefore does not improve the economy in any way at all.

Money that exits circulation simply has a deflationary effect that, under our banking system, will be offset by the Federal Reserve.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 04:09:32 AM »

Inheritance tax should be quite high (say 50%) above a certain level - somewhere between 2 and 10 millions.  I do think it is appropriate to treat it differently from regular income, as an inheritance typically represents some 40-50 years of grueling ass-kissing for most heirs.

Lottery winnings should simply be taxed as regular income for that year, since that is clearly what they are.  The top marginal income tax rate should be about 70%, but should only kick in at quite high levels.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 08:27:05 AM »

Ideally both eliminated, but I'd settle for dramatically lowering the lottery tax while eliminating the inheritance tax.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 08:27:53 AM »

I disagree.  Lottery winnings should definitely be taxed as income in my opinion.  There's no reason to give people who win the lottery a free pass when working people are taxed.

Inheritance is a bit different, since it was already taxed at the time it was earned.  Truthfully, I am ambivalent about inheritance taxes.  

On the one hand, the money has already been taxed, so it is in a way double taxation on the same money to tax it again when the holder of the money passes.  But the money does represent a form of income to the person receiving it.  I think the right answer on inheritance taxes is to tax only large estates, with the amounts indexed to inflation, at a low rate.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 08:41:41 AM »

Inheretance the same, lottery lower
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »

I'm curious as to why people think lottery earnings should be taxed at a lower rate than income.

Is it because of the expectation that poor people win the lottery?

Why should working people pay more tax, effectively, so lottery winners can pay less?  I can justify lower taxes on activities that CREATE wealth, which is why I think it is appropriate to have a lower capital gains rate, but lotteries don't create wealth at a macro level; they only redistribute it.  I see no reason the person receiving free wealth should get a free pass.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 09:06:32 AM »

I disagree.  Lottery winnings should definitely be taxed as income in my opinion.  There's no reason to give people who win the lottery a free pass when working people are taxed.

Inheritance is a bit different, since it was already taxed at the time it was earned.  Truthfully, I am ambivalent about inheritance taxes. 

On the one hand, the money has already been taxed, so it is in a way double taxation on the same money to tax it again when the holder of the money passes.  But the money does represent a form of income to the person receiving it.  I think the right answer on inheritance taxes is to tax only large estates, with the amounts indexed to inflation, at a low rate.

I agree on inheritance, that it was already taxed when it was earned (not that large estates should be taxed, though) but the lottery, at least the way I see it, is more of a donation than an income.  Or kind of like insurance even.

How can receiving potentially millions of dollars be considered a "donation?"  It is also far too random to be considered insurance.  It is gambling, and gambling earnings are taxed as income.  To call it insurance is a perversion of the whole idea behind insurance, since insurance has a guarantee that it can be collected under circumstances, while the lottery offers nothing of the sort.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 09:23:08 AM »

How about we just declare them both income and be done with it?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 09:29:04 AM »

Why don't we declare bank withdrawals income?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 10:01:36 AM »

Because you already own that money.

For inheritance, money should be taxed and property should not.  If someone inhreits a farm and $250,000 in cash, they should be taxed only on the cash. 

For a lottery win, it is simply money coming in and should be treated like all other sources of income.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 10:05:54 AM »

inheritance lower/lottery the same

The inheritance tax is a bad idea.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 10:29:09 AM »

For inheritance, money should be taxed and property should not.

Um, rich old people will just put all their money in assets so they can pass on their wealth tax-free.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 11:05:09 AM »

For inheritance, money should be taxed and property should not.

Um, rich old people will just put all their money in assets so they can pass on their wealth tax-free.

And you have a problem with this why?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »

I don't, but why not just repeal the tax?

This would be the equivalent of only taxing dollars, while everybody conducts commerce in euros.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 12:57:55 PM »

Being hit by a drunk driver is pretty random, too.  And the lottery has a guarantee that it can be collected if you pick the same numbers as they do.  I'm looking at it as a completely black and white situation.  In both insurance cases and with the lottery, you give them money and if something specific happens, they give you a huge load back.  It's up to the lottery commision/insurance company to decide what has to happen.

I really don't buy into your argument at all.  Insurance provides financial protection against certain specified events, and insurance money in theory is to cover the cost of those events, and usually not fully.  The lottery is based on a contrived picking of numbers, and there is no pretense that lottery earnings are anything but massive amounts of additional income.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 01:07:07 PM »

I understand your arguement and I see how mine is flawed but I still really don't see the lottery as an income. Smiley That's all I can say at this point.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  When you have a check for $1,000,000 or whatever the amount is arrived every year, believe me, it's an income.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 01:07:39 PM »

I disagree.  Lottery winnings should definitely be taxed as income in my opinion.  There's no reason to give people who win the lottery a free pass when working people are taxed.

Inheritance is a bit different, since it was already taxed at the time it was earned.  Truthfully, I am ambivalent about inheritance taxes.  

On the one hand, the money has already been taxed, so it is in a way double taxation on the same money to tax it again when the holder of the money passes.  But the money does represent a form of income to the person receiving it.  I think the right answer on inheritance taxes is to tax only large estates, with the amounts indexed to inflation, at a low rate.

Sounds good to me.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 01:15:02 PM »

Taxes on wealth gained by luck (including the luck of being born into a wealthy family) are some of the most important taxes we have.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies