San Diego: Donna Frye, Jerry Sanders Advance to run-off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:53:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  San Diego: Donna Frye, Jerry Sanders Advance to run-off
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins?/Who would get your vote?
Sandes/Frye

Sanders/Sanders

Frye/Sanders

Frye/Frye

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: San Diego: Donna Frye, Jerry Sanders Advance to run-off  (Read 1393 times)
socaldem
skolodji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2005, 02:18:45 AM »

Mayor Counted: 98.2%

Donna Frye 43.26%
Jerry Sanders 27.02%
Steve Francis 23.53%

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20050726-2249-election.html

Frye holds comfortable lead but appears headed to runoff

SAN DIEGO – With 41.6 percent of the precincts counted, Mayoral candidate Donna Frye appeared headed to a November runoff with Jerry Sanders in the race to be the next San Diego mayor.
Including absentees, Frye had 42.6 percent of the votes to Sanders' 27 percent and Steve Francis' 23.8 percent.

"I'm thrilled. I'm excited. Thank you San Diego," Frye told reporters at a rally outside of a downtown bar and restaurant.

"However the numbers play out I'm ready for it," she said.

Myke Shelby jokes: "I appreciate the people who voted for me, I'm going to find both of them and thank them personally."

Frye needed 50 percent-plus-1 to win the mayor's race outright, but said she wouldn't be disappointed if that didn't happen.

"Obviously, you always hope that we could get this done tonight," Frye said. "But, hey, I am thrilled."

Early polls had indicated that Sanders and Francis were locked in a tight race for second place, but as the night wore on, things looked better and better for former San Diego Police Chief Sanders.

"I still think it's pretty tight," Sanders said. "I am excited about the trend so far, but it's still early and we've got to look at a lot more numbers," Sanders said.

He also pointed out the differences he has with Frye.

"There are definitely differences between the two of us," he said. "We have very clear differences in how we have experience in working in large organizations."

The second-place finisher will face Frye on the Nov. 8 ballot, assuming a runoff is necessary.

In terms of actual numbers, those percentages meant Frye had 63,591 votes, Sanders 40,359 and businessman Francis 35,477. The other candidates in the race had far less support.

The votes represent 300 of the 721 precincts. Counting of the ballots cast during Tuesday's election may be finished before midnight, according to elections officials.

"We're cautiously optimistic," Sanders said at his campaign headquarters after seeing early returns. "We'll be patient and wait until the results come in."

Francis, who has a room near "Election Central" at the Westgate Hotel, said earlier that he wasn't counting on absentee balloting which were the first numbers released. That was before returns from the precincts began coming in.

"A lot of our campaign started after absentee ballots were already sent in," Francis said.

"So, for where we're at right now, I feel pretty good," he said before precinct returns started rolling in.

Earlier in the day, Frye expressed optimism.

"We've worked hard," Frye said as she voted in Clairemont Tuesday morning. "We've had people out today and all morning actually, going out, just talking to voters, and dropping off reminders to vote, get out the vote. We've got thousands of volunteers on the street and I feel ... good."

Frye also held a rally in North Park.

Francis spent the day by holding a rally downtown and meeting voters at Broadway and Second Avenue. He cast his ballot at the San Diego County Registrar of Voters office Monday.

Sanders voted Tuesday morning with his wife and two daughters at his side.

Eleven candidates ran in the special election to replace Dick Murphy, a former Superior Court judge who stepped down earlier this month to end a rocky tenure.

Hundreds of supporters of many of the candidates tonight jammed "Election Central" in the Versailles Room of the Westgate Hotel. The room is significantly smaller than cavernous Golden Hall, which had hosted election night festivities since 1978.

The room was so full after 8 p.m. that movement was difficult.

The front-runners' campaigns have centered primarily on addressing a $1.7 billion shortfall in the San Diego City Employees' Retirement System.

A decade of underfunding of the pension system has triggered federal investigations and led to the suspension of San Diego's credit rating – essentially crippling the city's ability to borrow money.

Frye's plan calls for changing the management of the pension fund by placing the fund under receivership. A court-ordered receiver could then be directed to waive the system's attorney-client privilege.

That would allow investigators to acquire sought-after documents related to the underfunding of the pension system. Audits of the city's 2003 and 2004 financial statements have been on hold pending the waiver.

"Without audited financial reports, the city cannot restore its credit ratings nor raise money to pay for much-needed city services and projects," Frye stated in campaign materials.

Frye, 53, has been on the City Council since 2001. She owns a surf shop in Clairemont with her husband, legendary surfer Skip Frye.

In a write-in campaign, she narrowly lost to Murphy in the election last November. She would have won if 5,551 disputed ballots – on which voters failed to fill in a required write-in "bubble" next to her name – had been counted.

Francis, founder of Carmel Valley-based AMN Healthcare, has proposed rolling back certain pension benefits that he maintains were granted illegally in 1996 and 2002 and contributed to the pension debt.

"The city government will collapse under the weight of such an outrageous, unfair and illegal burden," Francis stated in a campaign letter.

Francis, 50, a former Nevada legislator, has pledged to resolve San Diego's financial problems without increasing taxes or filing for bankruptcy.

Sanders, 54, was with the San Diego Police Department for 26 years. Following that, he was credited with turning around the local chapters of the American Red Cross and United Way.

He has called for a full accounting of the pension system problems and proposed renegotiating labor agreements.

"It's in everybody's best interest to have a solid pension plan that will fund pensions well into the future," he said last month.

Among the others running in the special election were bankruptcy attorney Pat Shea, motorcycle shop owner Myke Shelby, taxpayer advocate Richard Rider, environmentalist Jim Bell and businessman Jeremy Ledford.

Shelby said he was hoping for better and that he is done with politics.

"I'm not happy," Shelby said. "I didn't run a very good campaign."

Rider said he will continue to keep an eye on City Hall.

"We formed a good organization," Rider said. "We plan to monitor the runoff and whatever the next mayor does."

"One-hundred-eighty days later there's always a recall," he said.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:54:30 AM »

Not a lot of turnout from the look of it?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 04:03:17 AM »

Not a lot of turnout from the look of it?

Does seem a bit small, but keep in mind only 41.6% of precents were reporting
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:10:16 PM »

I am a resident of San Diego and Los Angeles counties, so this region is of particular importance to me.

Donna Frye is a disaster waiting to happen.  She has carefully crafted an image of the surfer grandma.  This is very appealing to San Diego voters.  Its a great sitcom character, I'm sure.  A bad Mayor, I'm also sure.

Jerry Sanders is not flashy, but competent and honest.

Steve Francis is worthless.  He's not even from San Diego.

Pat Shea should be Mayor, but never will be.  He doesn't have the cash to win, and had a poor showing because of it.

Donna Frye is almost sure to win.  The city government is tremendously corrupt, and this makes the city vulnerable to Donna Frye type candidates.  Half the city council is either going to jail or is under indictment for taking bribes, most of them were bribes from strip club owners (Where's BRTD?  He should come down here.) who want no touch rules removed and were willing to pay top dollar to get those rules removed.  Remember how Jimmy Carter got elected?  He was honest and that's what people wanted.  Didn't make him qualified, but it did make him appealing to voters.

Donna also had the last election stolen from her, and people feel very sorry for her, same reason that Rossi in Washington has a lot of sympathy from voters.

San Diego has two basic long term problems, only one of which has come up really in the campaign.

The one that has come up is that the city employee pension system is broken and needs either benefit cuts, increased employee cntributions, or taxpayer subsidies to keep going.  This is a preview of Social Security in case anyone wants to know what that will look like in 12 years.  Someone has to find a way to make a decision that will NOT be popular no matter what it is, and San Diego is going to have to find a way to stomach the person who makes that call.  Taxpayer subsidies are outrageous to me.  No taxpayer should have to fund a pension system that they don't recieve a dime from.  Either pension cuts or increased employee contribution are acceptable to me.

The second problm is that San Diego county has 2 million residents and acts like its a seaside village.  Its a metropolis that won't accept that its a metropolis, and until it does these kinds of disasters will continue.

Should be fun.  Not.

Antonio Villaraigosa and Donna Frye.  Only five years ago we had Richard Riordan and Susan Golding.  How the mighty have fallen.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:39:04 PM »

I am a resident of San Diego and Los Angeles counties, so this region is of particular importance to me.

Donna Frye is a disaster waiting to happen.  She has carefully crafted an image of the surfer grandma.  This is very appealing to San Diego voters.  Its a great sitcom character, I'm sure.  A bad Mayor, I'm also sure.

Jerry Sanders is not flashy, but competent and honest.

Steve Francis is worthless.  He's not even from San Diego.

Pat Shea should be Mayor, but never will be.  He doesn't have the cash to win, and had a poor showing because of it.

Donna Frye is almost sure to win.  The city government is tremendously corrupt, and this makes the city vulnerable to Donna Frye type candidates.  Half the city council is either going to jail or is under indictment for taking bribes, most of them were bribes from strip club owners (Where's BRTD?  He should come down here.) who want no touch rules removed and were willing to pay top dollar to get those rules removed.  Remember how Jimmy Carter got elected?  He was honest and that's what people wanted.  Didn't make him qualified, but it did make him appealing to voters.

Donna also had the last election stolen from her, and people feel very sorry for her, same reason that Rossi in Washington has a lot of sympathy from voters.

San Diego has two basic long term problems, only one of which has come up really in the campaign.

The one that has come up is that the city employee pension system is broken and needs either benefit cuts, increased employee cntributions, or taxpayer subsidies to keep going.  This is a preview of Social Security in case anyone wants to know what that will look like in 12 years.  Someone has to find a way to make a decision that will NOT be popular no matter what it is, and San Diego is going to have to find a way to stomach the person who makes that call.  Taxpayer subsidies are outrageous to me.  No taxpayer should have to fund a pension system that they don't recieve a dime from.  Either pension cuts or increased employee contribution are acceptable to me.

The second problm is that San Diego county has 2 million residents and acts like its a seaside village.  Its a metropolis that won't accept that its a metropolis, and until it does these kinds of disasters will continue.

Should be fun.  Not.

Antonio Villaraigosa and Donna Frye.  Only five years ago we had Richard Riordan and Susan Golding.  How the mighty have fallen.

Hmm...

I tend to lean quite a bit to the left, so the image of the reforming outsider left-wing surfer grandma appeals to me.  However, I also tend to like competent centre-right politicians, especially when they're running for mayor and Sanders fits that bill. 

Like you, I am very much relieved that wacko Francis does not have a chance, though the Machiavelli Frye-supporter in me would like to see the weaker opponent in the run-off. 

I think that you may be a little hard on Donna Frye... however, I tend to think that here electora chances are weaker than you suggest.  It seems to me that the Francis votes are transferrable to Frye and once Sanders gets his name recognition up, he should even be able to peel off of those voters who reflexively voted for Frye in the primary for the reasons you stated...  Sanders, after all, is not going to have any trouble getting the fundraising he needs to prevent Frye from getting that extra seven percent of the vote.  Meanwhile, he is a pretty good fit for the city.

I tend to disagree with your view of Villaraigosa.  I think he's exactly the pragmatic progressive we need in L.A.  L.A., in my view, needs much more public investment and Villaraigosa has the connections to get things done...  while I tended to like Riordan as well, in retrospect, I think he spent way too much time in political brawling, something that, of course, was largely not his fault.  An L.A. mayor needs to be able to pressure the Democratic partisans running city council...and only someone with solid left-wing credentials can do that... besides, Riordan really didn't do much for the LAPD...after all, he was a big Parks supporter...

Please, btw, give me some more background on the players in San Diego... was Susan Golding a Republican? She preceded Murphy, I suppose...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 12:03:12 AM »

Half the city council is either going to jail or is under indictment for taking bribes, most of them were bribes from strip club owners (Where's BRTD?  He should come down here.) who want no touch rules removed and were willing to pay top dollar to get those rules removed.

whoa, I definately support those council members and owners! Which candidate is more strip club friendly? That's who I'm rooting for.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:19:51 AM »

Susan Golding (1992-2000) was a liberal Republican.  Pro-choice, pro-gay marriage IIRC, and endorsed McCain in the 2000 primary.  She left office in disgrace but it wasn't really her fault.  She was exceedingly popular for a time, re-elected in 1996 with 84% of the vote.

In the Golding era Sa Diego tried to raise its profile by hosting major events.  They hosted '94 World Cup soccer games, the '95 America's Cup yacht race, and the 1996 GOP Convention.  Then in 1997 they hosted Super Bowl XXXII.  To win that Super Bowl bid they had to upgrade Jack Murphy Stadium (Now Quallcomm Stadium), including an expansion of seating capacity from 60,000 seats to 71,000 seats.  This expansion was completed in about 1996, a year or so before the game.

The NFL blackout rule comes into play now.  The rule says that any game that does not sell out cannot be shown in the city where the game is played.  This is to force people to attend the game instead of watching it on TV.  After they won the Super Bowl bid, San Diego had to sell an extra 11,000 tickets or all their homegames would be blacked out!  Fans were outraged and demanded that something be done (As long as they didn't have to buy tickets of course).  The Chargers threatened to leave town, because if their games could not be shown on TV they'd lose their fan base.

To fix this, Golding introduced the Charger Ticket Guarantee.  Any game that was not sold out, the city would buy the remaining tickets.  From 1998 onwards, this program kept the Chargers on the air in San Diego county.  And the tam was atrocious.  In 1994 they were in the Super Bowl, after the ticket guarantee, they stunk.  Peole thought the guarantee had ended any incentive for the Chargers to perform well, since their financial success was guaranteed by the city.  Goldng became very unpopular.

The truth is the team was bad because they made a very stupid trade to acquire quarterback Ryan Leaf in the 1998 draft, and gave away most of their draft picks for the next few years.  It was the Leaf trade that sank San Diego football, but Golding was an easier target (And people conventiently forgot that they were the original reason the ticket guarantee had been put in place).

So that's Susan Golding's story.

I do not share your faith in Mayor Antonio.  I don't think he's a pragmatic progressive, I think he's a radical.  He is associated with MecCha and the ACLU, not organizations I associate with moderates.  His platform was a series of giveaways to Democratic interest groups.  I work for the LA City Council right now in Tom LaBonge's office, Antonio is not going to stand up to the far left on the Council, he's spent his career leading the far left on the Council.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:24:45 AM »

Half the city council is either going to jail or is under indictment for taking bribes, most of them were bribes from strip club owners (Where's BRTD?  He should come down here.) who want no touch rules removed and were willing to pay top dollar to get those rules removed.

whoa, I definately support those council members and owners! Which candidate is more strip club friendly? That's who I'm rooting for.

Councilman Michael Zucchet (D), convicted on wire tapping and bribery, and Councilman Ralph Inzunza (D), convicted on 12 counts of criminal activity.  There may be others I don't remember.  Zucchet was the Acting Mayor until he was indicted.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 02:58:41 AM »

I guess I believe that Frye is going to go down big time in the run-off. I believe this because 90% if not all the people who voted fro Francis should cast their votes for Sanders next time/ Now varying any wierd shifts this would put the race at 49% Sanders 43% Frye... Frye would have to win almost all of the remainder to win the race.

Just my two cents.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 10:17:10 AM »

Councilman Michael Zucchet (D), convicted on wire tapping and bribery, and Councilman Ralph Inzunza (D), convicted on 12 counts of criminal activity.  There may be others I don't remember.  Zucchet was the Acting Mayor until he was indicted.

Too bad they got convicted. These men are freedom fighters. Good thing the Democrats have it right here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 02:11:28 AM »

I guess I believe that Frye is going to go down big time in the run-off. I believe this because 90% if not all the people who voted fro Francis should cast their votes for Sanders next time/ Now varying any wierd shifts this would put the race at 49% Sanders 43% Frye... Frye would have to win almost all of the remainder to win the race.

Just my two cents.

Nailed it.

Good call, man.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies