Is Donald Trump finished? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:26:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Donald Trump finished? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Donald Trump recover from his latest slump?
No. In fact it will get a whole lot worse for him.

It won't get any worse, but it won't get any better..

He'll pull into a tie or lead again, but still lose.

He'll not only bounce back, but win the election.

Who the hell knows?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Is Donald Trump finished?  (Read 2415 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 03, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »

Some of you guys at Atlas seem to lack perspective sometimes. Trump is a terrible candidate, but polling wise there have been worse. And I love Hillary but I fear some of her baggage could come back to haunt her. Trump's Campaign is in trouble, but you'd have to be short sighted to think replacing him would be an option at this point.

I have never felt so lousy about a Presidential race in my entire life.  Many folks feel the same way, which is why nothing would surprise me.

If the election were held today, I would not vote for Donald Trump. 

The controversy over Mr. Khan doesn't bother me.  Mr. Khan is a Gold Star Father who injected that status into partisan politics, and he reaped the Trump Maelstrom.  I think a lot of folks (including a lot of Republicans) have piled on because they've wanted a "real Republican".  And Mr. Khan may be well on the way to what he really wanted, which was for Trump to go down and not get back up, so he's looking like a winner in this deal, whether he deserves to be or not. 

Trump handled the situation by ramping up the chaos in ways that were unavoidable.  The worst (but not the only) thing was lending support to Paul Ryan's primary challenger, after Ryan gave him a rather mild rebuke over the Mr. Khan issue.  What kind of "deals" could he ever make as President when he does a reluctant ally that way?  Being a moderate RINO, I could care less about Paul Ryan's primary, but I do care about a Presidential Administration being able to get things done.  McGovern made nice with Richard Daley AFTER his delegates booted the Daley delegation from the 1972 DNC; he displayed friendliness toward George and Cornelia Wallace, who did not endorse him and who was poles apart from him on a number of issues.  Goldwater, who was more coarse as a candidate than McGovern, never trashed the moderates who were #NeverGoldwater, even after the raucous 1964 RNC. 

I cannot imagine a President Trump getting anything done.  I don't see him as willing to make the kind of "friends" needed in politics to get anything done, and especially given that his personal platform of issues is one which requires BOTH parties in Congress to compromise some.  I can't see him being the builder of a new infrastructure that this country needs, which I hoped he'd be.  And I don't see him as responsive to ANYONE in his inner circle; not even his kids, Don and Ivanka, who appear to know something about politics and PR. 

I don't know what I'll do.  I loathe Hillary, and if I vote for her, it will be in the privacy of the voting booth, and without a kind word toward her on my part.  She doesn't deserve to be President.  Gary Johnson does, relative to the others running, but if mental health is the issue, then the Presidential race this year isn't far away from the Edwin Edwards-David Duke LA Governor's race of 1991.  A dumpster fire it was, but the remedy there was obvious.

Perhaps I'll feel better after throwing up.  I hope so.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:25:23 PM »

If he continues like he has for the past few days he can't win, if he sticks to some substance which he has today as of now, he can rebound and win

How many times have we thought Trump was finished during this election cycle? I am never going to say he's done again until he actually loses to Hillary.

I highlighted one part of a sentence.  Anyone who's had a child with behavioral health issues knows what it's like to go one day at a time, or a half a day at a time, hoping that, yes, he/she can really get through the school year OK.  Often, it's disappointing, and the child grows to adulthood still needing remediation of some sort.

Trump is getting to the point where I wonder about this.  A candidate that has "good days" and "bad days"?  For President?  Americans want some consistency in their President; a smidgen of a-hole is tolerable, and (sometimes) desirable, but it's not OK as the norm.  If a "mental health" narrative grips Trump's campaign, the entire GOP will have to bail on him.  I'm not saying Trump's there, yet, but I am amazed at the inability he has to take critical feedback, even from friends and family.  That's not good at all.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies