Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 [284]
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 191169 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7075 on: April 30, 2024, 06:30:16 PM »

For f***'s sake! Hamas cannot be "destroyed."

All that's been literally destroyed (other than Gaza and the lives of its residents) is Israel's reputation.

If there is a deal, and all hostages are released, the priority should be rebuilding Gaza. Keep security around the border if necessary, but this needs to end.

Why can't Hamas be destroyed?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7076 on: April 30, 2024, 06:31:50 PM »

All that's been literally destroyed (other than Gaza and the lives of its residents) is Israel's reputation.

If there is a deal, and all hostages are released, the priority should be rebuilding Gaza. Keep security around the border if necessary, but this needs to end.

Because you can't shoot an idea, as Thomas Dewey once said.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7077 on: April 30, 2024, 06:33:10 PM »

As said before, they're more of an idea, if anything. And there will probably always be a perpetual force in Palestine that wants to exterminate Jews and Israel, especially after this conflict.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7078 on: May 01, 2024, 05:04:17 AM »

'You can't destroy the Tamil Tigers'
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7079 on: May 01, 2024, 05:05:36 AM »

As said before, they're more of an idea, if anything. And there will probably always be a perpetual force in Palestine that wants to exterminate Jews and Israel, especially after this conflict.
Deeply shocking for you to suggest that exterminationist anti-semitism is an inbuilt and eternal character trait of Palestinians
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7080 on: May 01, 2024, 05:52:08 AM »

‘There will always be a perpetual force in Palestine that wants to exterminate Jews’ sounds like something written by Ben-Gvir
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7081 on: May 01, 2024, 05:59:22 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 08:36:59 AM by CumbrianLefty »

"We will go into Rafah even if a ceasefire is agreed" makes absolutely no actual sense does it??

So you could, from an optimistic standpoint, just see it as Bibi bulls***ting to please his audience.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7082 on: May 01, 2024, 06:24:16 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 06:29:59 AM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

I think it really depends on what you mean, actually.  If you mean literally “can Hamas be destroyed” or better yet merely neutralized as a threat going forward even if some rump organization persists, then I think the answer is definitely “yes.”  I’d admittedly add the caveat that it will take years rather than months and anyone who claims otherwise is a liar, a fool, or both, but the point stands.  There is recent precedent for this too.  

Look at Al-Qaeda (a much stronger more and far more global organization than Hamas consequentially took much longer to destroy), of the top guys (using a very broad definition) in Al-Qaeda pre-9/11, everyone except Saif Al-Adel has been killed or captured.  And Al-Adel is only alive b/c he basically chose to spend the rest of his life under house arrest in Iran.  Al-Qaeda is still around here and there, but not in a meaningful way.  They’re no longer a real threat and have basically been destroyed and/or absorbed into various other groups.

In that sense, Hamas can absolutely be destroyed and in much less time than Al-Qaeda took (albeit it’ll still take years imo).  Now, if you mean the broader threat of Palestinian terrorism then no, that is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future regardless of what happens to Hamas.

Remember, Hamas is an organization rather than an idea.  And Hamas is bad enough that “the next group will only be worse” argument is pretty weak tea at best.  At a certain point, some groupe are evil, violent, and dangerous enough that it becomes a distinction without a difference or that the group’s continued existence is unacceptable regardless of who replaces them.  

I will say that I fundamentally reject the idea that eliminating Hamas requires some sort of mass destruction of Palestinians in Gaza.  I don’t think that is what Israel is doing now, but I want to be clear that I am not advocating such and disagree with posters on both sides who have (for very different reasons) at times attempted to conflate the Palestinian population of Gaza with Hamas.  It is an extremely important and meaningful distinction (Hamas vs. the Palestinian civilian population in Gaza), no matter what you believe about the conflict

"We will go into Rafah even if a ceasefire is agreed" makes absolutely no actual sense does it??

So you could, from an optimistic standpoint, just see it as Bibi bulls***ing to please his audience.

He has the same problem Obama had re: invading Syria if Al-Assad used chemical weapons.  Netanyahu made a big show out of telling everyone he was going to do something that he only later realized he might not actually be willing to do given the likely consequences of said action.  So now Netanyahu can’t act like he’s backing down, but also seems to know (maybe I’m being overly optimistic here) that he can’t actually invade Rafah (at least, not in the manner he’d intended).
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #7083 on: May 01, 2024, 07:46:28 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 07:50:31 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

Twitter account of Barak Ravid, who says he's a political reporter for Axios and CNN analyst.

BREAKING: Blinken told Netanyahu the U.S. still opposes an IDF operation in Rafah without a credible plan for protecting civilians and thinks there are better options to deal with the Hamas battalions in the city other than a full scale military operation, per U.S. official.

followed by:

BREAKING: Netanyahu told Blinken during their meeting today he won't accept a deal that will include ending the war. He said if Hamas doesn't drop this demand there will be no deal and Israel will invade Rafah, per Israeli and U.S. officials.

Notice the differences in sourcing in each statement. I wonder what Israel says Blinken told Netanyahu.

My take is Netanyahu is just using maximum leverage to drive a hard bargain. We'll see if it pans out for him.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #7084 on: May 01, 2024, 07:55:19 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 08:20:06 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

I think it really depends on what you mean, actually.  If you mean literally “can Hamas be destroyed” or better yet merely neutralized as a threat going forward even if some rump organization persists, then I think the answer is definitely “yes.”  I’d admittedly add the caveat that it will take years rather than months and anyone who claims otherwise is a liar, a fool, or both, but the point stands.  There is recent precedent for this too.  

Look at Al-Qaeda (a much stronger more and far more global organization than Hamas consequentially took much longer to destroy), of the top guys (using a very broad definition) in Al-Qaeda pre-9/11, everyone except Saif Al-Adel has been killed or captured.  And Al-Adel is only alive b/c he basically chose to spend the rest of his life under house arrest in Iran.  Al-Qaeda is still around here and there, but not in a meaningful way.  They’re no longer a real threat and have basically been destroyed and/or absorbed into various other groups.

In that sense, Hamas can absolutely be destroyed and in much less time than Al-Qaeda took (albeit it’ll still take years imo).  Now, if you mean the broader threat of Palestinian terrorism then no, that is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future regardless of what happens to Hamas.

Remember, Hamas is an organization rather than an idea.  And Hamas is bad enough that “the next group will only be worse” argument is pretty weak tea at best.  At a certain point, some groupe are evil, violent, and dangerous enough that it becomes a distinction without a difference or that the group’s continued existence is unacceptable regardless of who replaces them.  

If you think that, good for you, I just completely disagree based on Americans' experience with the Middle East and North Africa this century, and think we get to year 2030 we're not going to see much functional difference from now as far as Israeli-Palestinian relations. The destruction of Hamas for long-term Israeli security is not something that can be judged now or even this year regardless of whether there is an operation in Rafah or not, it has to be judged minimum 5 years from now long after Netanyahu and Biden and Trump are all gone. Meanwhile Israel has made themselves more isolated internationally. I'm not sure being automatically pro-Israel will even extend into the next generation of Democratic Party leadership in this country once all the baby boomer politicians have retired and died. I think Kamala Harris is a large unknown quantity as far as what she really thinks on policy issues in comparison to Biden. If she's the next President the saving grace for Israel might be she has a Jewish husband that has over time influenced her thinking as all spouses do.
SInNYC

« Reply #7085 on: May 01, 2024, 11:06:45 AM »

Netanhayu has made it pretty clear from day 1 that the only choices in the negotiations are either Gaza gets leveled now or it gets leveled after the hostages are released. Meanwhile, Hamas has said with slightly less force that any negotiations must leave them in power or at least safe after hostages are released.

This is why I dont put much faith in any of the negotiations that we keep hearing about.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7086 on: May 01, 2024, 11:45:31 AM »

Netanhayu has made it pretty clear from day 1 that the only choices in the negotiations are either Gaza gets leveled now or it gets leveled after the hostages are released. Meanwhile, Hamas has said with slightly less force that any negotiations must leave them in power or at least safe after hostages are released.

This is why I dont put much faith in any of the negotiations that we keep hearing about.

I think if he was to try to go for total war in Rafah after getting the hostages back, that would probably jeopardize US support and thus lead to his government getting toppled. So that factors in a lot.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7087 on: May 01, 2024, 04:32:49 PM »

Deeply shocking for you to suggest that exterminationist anti-semitism is an inbuilt and eternal character trait of Palestinians

That's not exactly what I meant, more so that there are extremists who will exploit and cultivate it whether they're Hamas or not. And vice-versa on the Israeli side wanting complete dominance of Palestine.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7088 on: Today at 12:45:48 AM »

My take is Netanyahu is just using maximum leverage to drive a hard bargain. We'll see if it pans out for him.
Very interesting stuff. Very interesting. Good thing we didn’t give Israel a ton of military aid with no strings attached. Now Blinken and Biden can force Netanyahu to back down and act with more restraint Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 [284]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies