#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 111544 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:32 PM »

Donald Trump gave a strong, unqualified endorsement of John McCain, in sufficient time for the Arizona GOP Senate primary.  This is politics; I can't think of a better way to say "I'm sorry!" than such a gesture.

I can.  It would have been to say "I'm sorry" specifically for denigrating McCain's POW history.  That's how adults behave, you see.

You may think that doing so would be "damaging" to Trump's campaign, which says far more about you than anybody else.

I view damaging Trump's election chances by caving to the Jeff Flakes of the world a form of using an unimportant issue to give Trump a disadvantage in the election over Hillary Clinton, whose disadvantages stem from important and substantive issues.

Why should Trump cave here?  If he caves to Flakey Jeffy on this issue, why wouldn't someone like myself, who's in agreement with Trump far more than the rest of the GOP on issues, think that Trump won't cave on key platform issues if he gives in on something so unsubstantive.  Was it a thoughtless comment?  Yes, but it was aimed at a war hero who ditched a faithful wife who waited for him for a younger, prettier, and richer woman.  (And I voted for McCain in 2008.)  If I were Trump's advisor, I'd tell him to stand his ground here.

People like you are why the party will get crushed in november.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »

Donald Trump gave a strong, unqualified endorsement of John McCain, in sufficient time for the Arizona GOP Senate primary.  This is politics; I can't think of a better way to say "I'm sorry!" than such a gesture.

I can.  It would have been to say "I'm sorry" specifically for denigrating McCain's POW history.  That's how adults behave, you see.

You may think that doing so would be "damaging" to Trump's campaign, which says far more about you than anybody else.

I view damaging Trump's election chances by caving to the Jeff Flakes of the world a form of using an unimportant issue to give Trump a disadvantage in the election over Hillary Clinton, whose disadvantages stem from important and substantive issues.

Why should Trump cave here?  If he caves to Flakey Jeffy on this issue, why wouldn't someone like myself, who's in agreement with Trump far more than the rest of the GOP on issues, think that Trump won't cave on key platform issues if he gives in on something so unsubstantive.  Was it a thoughtless comment?  Yes, but it was aimed at a war hero who ditched a faithful wife who waited for him for a younger, prettier, and richer woman.  (And I voted for McCain in 2008.)  If I were Trump's advisor, I'd tell him to stand his ground here.

People like you are why the party will get crushed in november.

Why?  Having voted for Obama in 2012 and Kerry in 2004, I'd be a net addition to the GOP ranks if I vote Trump, would I not?

The GOP isn't in trouble because of folks like me.  It's in trouble because it took the votes of folks like me, more often than not, but advocated policies not in my interest.  Free Trade.  Nation-Building wars.  Entangling alliances.  Policies that are great for "the World", but not for America.  This year, Donald Trump, of all people, exposed the fact that the GOP isn't this free-trade, movement conservative monolith; that there was a huge number of Republicans who didn't subscribe to the standard fare the GOP had been putting forth since the Bush 41 years.

For better or worse, this election is one of Americanism vs. Globalism.  That's better than having two (2) Globalist parties. 

Globalism is Americanism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies