American Women are having more Abortions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:18:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Women are having more Abortions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American Women are having more Abortions  (Read 2938 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: June 16, 2022, 03:35:55 PM »

A lot of non-Atlas blue states have moved left on abortion since 2018, creating new public or public-private partnerships to increase abortion access/education (especially for Black/Brown women.)

It's unsurprising that a culture that increasingly celebrates abortion would have more of it. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 11:40:42 AM »

A lot of non-Atlas blue states have moved left on abortion since 2018, creating new public or public-private partnerships to increase abortion access/education (especially for Black/Brown women.)

It's unsurprising that a culture that increasingly celebrates abortion would have more of it. 

Nobody celebrates abortion. The need for it is a fact of modern life.

You're kidding yourself if you think the culture doesn't celebrate abortion.  The days of "safe, legal and rare" are long gone.

There are holidays that celebrate abortion, Andrew Cuomo lit up the World Trade Center in pink to celebrate New York state legalizing late-term abortions, and celebrities on award stages are applauded when crediting their success to a decision to terminate a human life.

And Democrats are complicit in this new, celebratory culture around abortion.  Arguments like "abortion is healthcare" or that abortion "empowers" women are advanced in service to the goal of normalizing and destigmatizing mass abortion. 

Abortion can be legally protected while still acknowledging it as a personal and moral failure.  But is that even what you (and the Democrats more broadly) believe these days?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »

You're kidding yourself if you think the culture doesn't celebrate abortion.  The days of "safe, legal and rare" are long gone.

There are holidays that celebrate abortion, Andrew Cuomo lit up the World Trade Center in pink to celebrate New York state legalizing late-term abortions, and celebrities on award stages are applauded when crediting their success to a decision to terminate a human life.

And Democrats are complicit in this new, celebratory culture around abortion.  Arguments like "abortion is healthcare" or that abortion "empowers" women are advanced in service to the goal of normalizing and destigmatizing mass abortion. 

Abortion can be legally protected while still acknowledging it as a personal and moral failure.  But is that even what you (and the Democrats more broadly) believe these days?

I offer that it's not a celebration of abortion, but rather a celebration of the freedom of choice. Freedom from oppression by perhaps people like you who want to throw your own personal morality and fear of God into the ring as the standard for all.

Using terms like "freedom of choice" is exactly the type of celebratory jargon that whitewashes what abortion really is - the termination of human life.

Your post tells how perfectly happy you are to celebrate and #ShoutYourAbortion as long as it's to "own" those tirelessly defending the sanctity of life.  You're equating abortion rights to the war to defeat the Nazis or something.  Grow up.   

No one should be happy to talk about abortion, much less happy to have one.  Abortion is a shameful and hurtful reality, but the pro-choice movement has had the normalization and promotion of abortion as their goal for several years now.     
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »

I offer that it's not a celebration of abortion, but rather a celebration of the freedom of choice. Freedom from oppression by perhaps people like you who want to throw your own personal morality and fear of God into the ring as the standard for all.

Using terms like "freedom of choice" is exactly the type of celebratory jargon that whitewashes what abortion really is - the termination of human life.

Your post tells how perfectly happy you are to celebrate and #ShoutYourAbortion as long as it's to "own" those tirelessly defending the sanctity of life.  You're equating abortion rights to the war to defeat the Nazis or something.  Grow up.   

No one should be happy to talk about abortion, much less happy to have one.  Abortion is a shameful and hurtful reality, but the pro-choice movement has had the normalization and promotion of abortion as their goal for several years now.     

You are operating inside a realm of wanting to control women, wanting to speak for your God, and wanting the entire country to fit in with your definition of what is right and moral. You may not agree with what I'm saying here, but your words tell a different tale.

You say I celebrate abortion but again, I tell you that nobody celebrates abortion. Especially me. I am all for freedom. I am for women having the right to dictate what happens to their own body, without moralists like you trying to crawl into their vaginas to vicariously see what's going on in there.

Why don't you put your nose in your own business and take care of your own health and the health of your family. That's your right. Period

You're only *saying* you don't celebrate abortion while having absolutely nothing but positive things to say about it.  So what does that mean you really believe?   

Repeat after me:  saying abortion can only be described as "a woman's right" is a fundamental denial of what abortion factually is, which is the termination of human life.     

That you can only imagine an assertion of this reality as tantamount to religious bigotry says much more about you than it does me. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 10:33:07 AM »

You are operating inside a realm of wanting to control women, wanting to speak for your God, and wanting the entire country to fit in with your definition of what is right and moral. You may not agree with what I'm saying here, but your words tell a different tale.

You say I celebrate abortion but again, I tell you that nobody celebrates abortion. Especially me. I am all for freedom. I am for women having the right to dictate what happens to their own body, without moralists like you trying to crawl into their vaginas to vicariously see what's going on in there.

Why don't you put your nose in your own business and take care of your own health and the health of your family. That's your right. Period

You're only *saying* you don't celebrate abortion while having absolutely nothing but positive things to say about it.  So what does that mean you really believe?   

Repeat after me:  saying abortion can only be described as "a woman's right" is a fundamental denial of what abortion factually is, which is the termination of human life.     

That you can only imagine an assertion of this reality as tantamount to religious bigotry says much more about you than it does me. 

What even do you think you're doing?  lmao
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »

What even do you think you're doing?  lmao

What do you think he’s doing?

Posting irrelevant, non-original content so he can get his rocks off on "owning" the cons
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 07:44:20 PM »

Frank, are you just trying to “pwn teh cons”?

Absolutely not.

I'm not sure what I can say without it being considered personal, or a 'personal attack.' I normally don't care about anybody here because what matters to me is the ideas, not the personalities. However,

1.In terms of not being original: I doubt that DT is saying anything that has not been said by others previously, even if he is not quoting. In fact, claiming (falsely) that a non viable fetus is the equivalent of a human life would carry no weight if it were an original argument of DT's. If one private individual held that view alone, it would be of no significance.  I quoted that rather than write my own post because it was easier.

2.More importantly, I think it does get to the heart of the abortion issue, which I regard as the ultimate in virtue signalling, for the reasons pointed out in that quote: it allows the individual to feel morally superior to others (or at least fine with themselves morally) while making absolutely no sacrifice or having any cost to themselves. 

3.So, this is the personal part, in that in another thread DT wrote this:

After two years of covid hysteria, it's very obvious who the public health bureaucrats at the CDC are in business for.  Normal people do not act, think or talk like this.       

1 million deaths from Covid in the United States in two years is hysteria?  I think it is absolutely fair to question the committment a person has to actual human life when they minimize 1 million deaths as 'hysteria.'     

The difference: moralizing about other people having abortion is easy, actually doing something in a time of pandemic is not as easy (at least it wasn't to Americans.)

On the contrary, it could just as easily be said that advocating for prenatal children is the most thankless job there is.  If we choose to ignore the unborn, they literally go away.  They're the only group completely unable to ever speak for themselves.  Advocating for the unborn is worth it if you see them as the most vulnerable members of our society.

Secondly, there is nothing more "sacrificial" about advocating for the poor, sick, homeless, etc. if your only proposed solution for them is more taxes on the rich.  Christians get credit for running a parallel cradle-to-grave welfare state for orphans, widows, prisoners, immigrants, shut-ins, etc. that has existed for centuries, with much more effect and long before any government ever got around to it.

The parroted quote relies on so many ungracious assumptions about pro-life Christians that it cannot be considered anything other than bait to dangle in front of online slacktivists like yourself, itching to get an "own" in on people they already decided to hate a long time ago.  I'll stand by my characterization of you. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 08:30:13 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2022, 08:33:31 PM by DT »

Absolutely not.

I'm not sure what I can say without it being considered personal, or a 'personal attack.' I normally don't care about anybody here because what matters to me is the ideas, not the personalities. However,

1.In terms of not being original: I doubt that DT is saying anything that has not been said by others previously, even if he is not quoting. In fact, claiming (falsely) that a non viable fetus is the equivalent of a human life would carry no weight if it were an original argument of DT's. If one private individual held that view alone, it would be of no significance.  I quoted that rather than write my own post because it was easier.

2.More importantly, I think it does get to the heart of the abortion issue, which I regard as the ultimate in virtue signalling, for the reasons pointed out in that quote: it allows the individual to feel morally superior to others (or at least fine with themselves morally) while making absolutely no sacrifice or having any cost to themselves. 

After two years of covid hysteria, it's very obvious who the public health bureaucrats at the CDC are in business for.  Normal people do not act, think or talk like this.       

1 million deaths from Covid in the United States in two years is hysteria?  I think it is absolutely fair to question the committment a person has to actual human life when they minimize 1 million deaths as 'hysteria.'     

The difference: moralizing about other people having abortion is easy, actually doing something in a time of pandemic is not as easy (at least it wasn't to Americans.)

On the contrary, it could just as easily be said that advocating for prenatal children is the most thankless job there is.  If we choose to ignore the unborn, they literally go away.  They're the only group completely unable to ever speak for themselves.  Advocating for the unborn is worth it if you see them as the most vulnerable members of our society.

Secondly, there is nothing more "sacrificial" about advocating for the poor, sick, homeless, etc. if your only proposed solution for them is more taxes on the rich.  Christians get credit for running a parallel cradle-to-grave welfare state for orphans, widows, prisoners, immigrants, shut-ins, etc. that has existed for centuries, with much more effect and long before any government ever got around to it.

The parroted quote relies on so many ungracious assumptions about pro-life Christians that it cannot be considered anything other than bait to dangle in front of online slacktivists like yourself, itching to get an "own" in on people they already decided to hate a long time ago.  I'll stand by my characterization of you. 

Pro-life people are usually just anti-choice. Actually pro-life people would be anti-death penalty and pro-paid family leave, pro-birth control, pro-sex education, and so on. That last one is critical because proper sex education would prevent more abortions by properly educating people.

I've got plenty of reasons for believing that the anti-choice crowd are not just fundamentally bad people, but also just refuse to hear actual solutions because of a single-mindedness that "We ban abortions=no more abortions."

Ceausescu tried that. It didn't work out too well.

"Pro-life" is a catchphrase meant to communicate someone's opinion on a single issue, not establish a consistent life ethic.  An issue like the death penalty is fundamentally different from abortion across multiple dimensions, that you seemingly can't understand or acknowledge such only establishes that you are operating in bad faith.  Ditto for sex ed, parental leave, etc.

No serious pro-lifers (i.e., non-15-year-old Catholic school girls) think overturning Roe or whatever is going to reduce abortion to zero.  But the legality of abortion obviously does have great implications for how accessible and common it will be.   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 10:41:04 PM »

Absolutely not.

Pro-life people are usually just anti-choice. Actually pro-life people would be anti-death penalty and pro-paid family leave, pro-birth control, pro-sex education, and so on. That last one is critical because proper sex education would prevent more abortions by properly educating people.

I've got plenty of reasons for believing that the anti-choice crowd are not just fundamentally bad people, but also just refuse to hear actual solutions because of a single-mindedness that "We ban abortions=no more abortions."

Ceausescu tried that. It didn't work out too well.

"Pro-life" is a catchphrase meant to communicate someone's opinion on a single issue, not establish a consistent life ethic.  An issue like the death penalty is fundamentally different from abortion across multiple dimensions, that you seemingly can't understand or acknowledge such only establishes that you are operating in bad faith.  Ditto for sex ed, parental leave, etc.

No serious pro-lifers (i.e., non-15-year-old Catholic school girls) think overturning Roe or whatever is going to reduce abortion to zero.  But the legality of abortion obviously does have great implications for how accessible and common it will be.   

Explain how. Because all banning it does is make it far more dangerous to carry out, and would qlso be condemning thousands, if not millions, to a life of poverty.

But wait, pro-lifers don't care about poverty, because as you admitted, it's single-mindedess and damn all consistency.

Explain what?  I've told you exactly what I mean

A Christian pro-life position only entails the belief that human life is valuable and ought not to be destroyed.  The "sanctity of life" is a philosophical position at basic odds with a humanist "quality of life" ethic.  Your post implies it is better to have never been born than to be poor, which would be a belief the pro-life movement categorically rejects.   

And, as I have already mentioned, there are countless "pro-life" Christians expending blood and treasure to help the poor and needy among us.  To wish this away just because they do so while disagreeing with your politics or position on the sanctity of life is quite juvenile. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 11:07:40 PM »

Absolutely not.

Yes, and everything you write here confirms to me that you need to believe and believe you are, morally superior to other people, precisely because you are anti-abortion.

1.In addition to what you wrote here, you told another person in this thread to 'grow up' and said that women who have abortions have committed a 'personal and moral failure.'

I don't know if that's hate or anger from you, but you are certainly confirming to me that your primary or even sole interest in abortion is to claim to yourself and others that you are a 'moral' person and that you are morally superior to other people. Of course, I have no way of knowing what else you might be doing to reduce unwanted pregnancies and nor do I know if you hold yourself to such a similar high standard regarding 'moral failures' though your comment referring to Covid as 'a hysteria' certainly suggests to me you don't.

2.Most countries that have legal abortion and anything approaching a sucessful welfare state have higher taxes in general, not just on the wealthy. Whether Americans would be open to that or not, I have no idea.  Certainly seemingly the vast majority of people who laughingly claim to be 'pro-life' because they are anti abortion oppose increasing welfare spending or raising taxes.

3.Certainly Christian, religious in general and other private welfare charities have an important role to play in society, but to claim they have had 'much more effect' than government welfare, as imperfect as that is, is a laughable claim that suggests to me you've been (literally) brainwashed by your church.

It was the limits to the effectiveness of private charity that led many religious organizations and individuals to call for government involvement.  Charles Dickens, who certainly was a Christian himself https://www.americamagazine.org/issue/681/bookings/no-scrooge-he wrote A Christmas Carol and its sequels precisely to point out the need for government involvement in welfare.

Moralizing is an inherent aspect of the abortion debate.  You cannot come to a serious assessment of the "pro-life" or "pro-choice" arguments without an evaluative moral framework to weigh the sanctity of life, rights of women, etc.  This issue is controversial for a reason.

I believe women should have access to abortion as a matter of practicality.  I believe the quality of life is made better for many women because of abortion; in that sense, I'm not a subscriber to the "sanctity of life" ethic (which I find way too aesthetically Catholic to ever fully embrace, anyway.)

What I don't believe is that we should normalize or celebrate abortion, which is something Democrats have been complicit in for the past several years as I alluded to earlier.  We cannot sugarcoat what abortion is:  the termination of a human life.  For this reason, abortion is an issue that must be fraught with moral consequence. 

You rushed to throw out a screen grab of some reddit post as a "gotcha" rather than contemplate and engage my position.  Doing the latter would have been much more edifying.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 11:26:16 PM »

Would you agree with Cardinal Bernadin’s seamless garment approach ?

Do you mean as a moral or a policy framework?

Morally, I do my best to help the poor and needy among us and try not to murder people.  I also don't think I would ever advise someone I love to pursue an abortion.  That's all I'd ask of anyone else, too.

But there are legitimate reasons the State would have in breaking with these principles - the retributive application of justice via the death penalty for murderers or fighting a just war being the most important two, I think.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 11:50:12 PM »

To get back on-topic, more abortions should be best placed in the context of the simultaneous rise in "deaths of despair" and overall shorter life expectancy.

The demographic trajectory of 2020s America looks more and more like the post-Soviet bloc of the 1990s with every new study/report.  Eerie stuff. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies