This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:23:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 155810 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2050 on: April 20, 2022, 02:35:27 PM »

I often joke that virtually everyone in the Labour Party is a Brownite politically now, but it’s worth remembering that a lot of the factional beef goes back to 2010 and whether you backed Ed Miliband or Ed Balls. There’s only ideologically about 15-20 Blairites in the PLP.

It’s such a psychodrama that people were briefing against Ed last year and saying ‘well Gordon hates him you know’ because that actually does convince a large number of MPs.

I did a post previously saying Starmer was one of the few Milibandites and well that descended from being a Brownite didn’t it…

It’s getting the carriage ahead of the course but I struggle to see his role- the economics brief is very Rachel Reeves domain, Home Office is well Yvette and Ed doesn’t have any experience in foreign affairs.

I guess he could have one of the attacking briefs but well it’s easy to see how it all ends up like Portillo as Al said.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2051 on: April 23, 2022, 01:36:41 AM »

I often joke that virtually everyone in the Labour Party is a Brownite politically now, but it’s worth remembering that a lot of the factional beef goes back to 2010 and whether you backed Ed Miliband or Ed Balls. There’s only ideologically about 15-20 Blairites in the PLP.

It’s such a psychodrama that people were briefing against Ed last year and saying ‘well Gordon hates him you know’ because that actually does convince a large number of MPs.

I did a post previously saying Starmer was one of the few Milibandites and well that descended from being a Brownite didn’t it…

It’s getting the carriage ahead of the course but I struggle to see his role- the economics brief is very Rachel Reeves domain, Home Office is well Yvette and Ed doesn’t have any experience in foreign affairs.

I guess he could have one of the attacking briefs but well it’s easy to see how it all ends up like Portillo as Al said.

Old habits die hard- Ed Balls said he isn’t running and hadn’t actually discussed it with anyone so I wonder who was doing the briefing about what Gordon really wanted.

The Times had an awful piece yesterday from ‘Labour sources’ saying that Ed would struggle because he’d be a better Shadow Chancellor than Rachel Reeves and would cause friction- which ignores that 1.)  RR actually has a good relationship with her boss- something the two Ed’s never had 2.) She has a lead in the opinion polls on economic issues 3.) She is actually doing a good job.

If they want Ed Balls in Government then put him in the Lords! But saner heads prevail and there’s been suggestions that Keir’s team don’t actually want him.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2052 on: April 23, 2022, 04:43:17 AM »

Reeves actually tied with Sunak in a recent "who would make the best Chancellor" poll - the built in advantage for the incumbent there is even bigger than it is with the similar PM question.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2053 on: April 23, 2022, 01:35:11 PM »

If they want Ed Balls in Government then put him in the Lords!
If that happens - I wager no less than three UK newspapers just run “Lord Balls” as their headline that day.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2054 on: April 23, 2022, 01:44:36 PM »

In light of the above the Times have a story saying Mr Tony thinks Keir is rubbish, along with most of his frontbench.

This is not new news, and it goes on to say they don’t like trust each other- why would they?

Both this and the balls Story shows a lot about how a very small group of people think in this party. It’s all very sins of our fathers.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2055 on: April 23, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »

As much as I think Blair typically has strong political instincts (most of the time - there are some glaring exceptions that come to mind), I’m not sure Starmer’s team will be too fussed about this.

Pretty sure the phrase “I’ve got serious disagreements with Tony Blair” still polls pretty darn well.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2056 on: April 24, 2022, 03:14:10 AM »

As much as I think Blair typically has strong political instincts (most of the time - there are some glaring exceptions that come to mind), I’m not sure Starmer’s team will be too fussed about this.

Pretty sure the phrase “I’ve got serious disagreements with Tony Blair” still polls pretty darn well.

Article went onto to say he’s setting up another political group made up of *drum roll* Alastair Campbell, Rory Stewart and Trevor Phillips. Which does make me question his judgement!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2057 on: April 24, 2022, 03:44:44 AM »

Phillips is easily the most right wing of those three.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2058 on: April 24, 2022, 07:33:44 PM »

Yet hilariously, the only one who is actually a member of the Labour Party!
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2059 on: April 24, 2022, 08:59:35 PM »

Yet hilariously, the only one who is actually a member of the Labour Party!
Pretty sure Blair is still a member.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2060 on: April 25, 2022, 03:17:40 AM »

The three others named, I think they meant. But hasn't Campbell re-joined yet?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2061 on: April 25, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »

First bit of anti LOTO briefing I’ve seen for a while; it’s significant that Nandy is local Gov Shadow and is saying this only two weeks before the result.

The tone suggests where it was briefed from but the bitchy quote against her (accusing her of being a no-show) makes it seem a bit strange. It was suggested she fell out with Keir and was going to be sacked last May over it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/lisa-nandy-keir-starmer-partygate-row_uk_626667b5e4b0197ae3f868e2
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2062 on: April 26, 2022, 06:50:54 AM »

Well apparently Starmer spent a lot of his Sunday morning BBC interview trying to turn discussions to the current cost of living crisis.

But guess what Sophie Raworth (the interviewer) wanted to talk about instead?
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2063 on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »

Well apparently Starmer spent a lot of his Sunday morning BBC interview trying to turn discussions to the current cost of living crisis.

I haven’t seen anything from interview so I may be completely wrong, but I’m going to guess ‘do women have penis’?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2064 on: April 26, 2022, 11:55:33 AM »

I haven’t seen anything from interview so I may be completely wrong, but I’m going to guess ‘do women have penis’?

Thankfully they seem to have got a bit tired of that one now.

No, she went on and on about the thing Starmer has been accused of spending too much time on.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2065 on: April 29, 2022, 01:46:13 AM »

Isn't running this kind of ad a bit pointless right now ?

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2066 on: April 29, 2022, 02:16:13 AM »

Yes it’s rather stupid but I’d guess it was done to test the message.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2067 on: April 29, 2022, 02:17:54 AM »

Parties often run small Facebook ads to see how they perform.

There has been a rather muscular effort on ‘law and order’ which even I’ve found a bit too far.

Very hangem and Burnham!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2068 on: April 29, 2022, 07:25:04 AM »

These ads were presumably targeted at a select group (ie socially conservative voters in Northern and Midlands battlegrounds between Labour and LibDems) Its the sort of segmentation the Tories have been doing rather successfully for a while now.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2069 on: April 29, 2022, 07:57:03 AM »

These ads were presumably targeted at a select group (ie socially conservative voters in Northern and Midlands battlegrounds between Labour and LibDems) Its the sort of segmentation the Tories have been doing rather successfully for a while now.
How exactly is nuclear policy going to become a relevant issue for a local election ?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2070 on: April 29, 2022, 08:01:01 AM »

How exactly is nuclear policy going to become a relevant issue for a local election ?

Shockingly, its not.

Along with a zillion other things that actually get mentioned in "local" election campaigns Wink
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2071 on: April 30, 2022, 03:50:26 PM »

"legalise drugs and soften punishments" almost makes me wanna vote for the Lib Dems
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2072 on: May 01, 2022, 03:24:44 AM »

Well this hasn’t been done before…. Last few lines are very telling.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2073 on: May 01, 2022, 04:30:05 AM »

"legalise drugs and soften punishments" almost makes me wanna vote for the Lib Dems

“Smoke weed, do crimes” - the Rt Hon Sir Edward Davy
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2074 on: May 01, 2022, 04:34:02 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2022, 04:37:58 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Well this hasn’t been done before…. Last few lines are very telling.

I am in favour of people being reminded that the last Labour government did good things. It remains the case that Mr Tony is a very problematic messenger, though.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies