Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:03:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 108188 times)
Cassandra
Situationist

« on: March 31, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »

Submitted my placement test for Indiana University's summer Russian immersion program. Can you say "career suicide"?

iTalki is cheaper, but okay.

I already have an in-person tutor. I've had what I feel has been substantial improvement, but I'm shooting for crash industrialization Russification.

Dope! If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you intend to study once you get a good handle on the language?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 04:39:05 PM »

Submitted my placement test for Indiana University's summer Russian immersion program. Can you say "career suicide"?

iTalki is cheaper, but okay.

I already have an in-person tutor. I've had what I feel has been substantial improvement, but I'm shooting for crash industrialization Russification.

Dope! If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you intend to study once you get a good handle on the language?

Большое спасибо! To be brief, this is the lashing out of my quarter-life crisis after failing (thus far) to land funding in a PhD program (and finding myself unwilling to dive into an incomplete program of mine here in Detroit). That said, I figure I have options that range from travel to law school to new job opportunities. One that sticks out to me is the possibility of volunteer work in Russophone countries, including an organization I've had my eye on for a while.

Finally gaining something close to proficiency has long been an aspiration of mine, but I had the eternal excuse of being employed. I'm finally tired enough of languishing. But! We are still waiting on the results of the placement test, so we'll see if I accidentally DQ'd myself by using one word in English on an essay response. Counting chickens and such.

You have a very creative plan here! You're pursuing something you've wanted to do for a while, and at the same time adding a skill that will help you pursue any number of careers. Well done! I'm honestly a little jealous. I suppose I'm in a similar quarter-life crisis, which just last weekend had me scrolling through unionjobs.com, sending out a barrage of resumes to various Organizer positions. I don't even know if that is the right move, but I feel an overwhelming urge to do something, if that makes any sense.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 08:25:00 PM »

Thank you! I was told that Indiana would try to be sending out placements today, but I haven't gotten anything yet, so I'm still kind of nervous.

I'm honestly a little jealous. I suppose I'm in a similar quarter-life crisis, which just last weekend had me scrolling through unionjobs.com, sending out a barrage of resumes to various Organizer positions. I don't even know if that is the right move, but I feel an overwhelming urge to do something, if that makes any sense.

Brother (sister?), nothing has made more sense for me the past year or so. I'm doing well in my current job and am facing a potentially good job offer in a great city in SE MI--which would likely lead to property ownership and deciding to become a "real person"--and despite these possibilities, all I can feel is the urge to run. Tongue

I'm a guy haha. I just like the character of Cassandra, I feel like I can relate to her (for the good and the bad, I'm too much of a Cassandra to make any money in the stock market for example, lol).

Honestly dude, I would snap that job offer up if you think the work won't be the kind of thing that drains your soul. I passed up a lucrative career in finance a few year back when I walked away from a rep. job with Etrade. I stand by that, the lead development I was asked to do was not remotely ethical imo, but still... being poor sucks. I've got an OKish city job right now; I make $37k/year after the most recent raise, but with rent being insane and inflation through the roof, getting by is a bit of a struggle. There's something to be said for stability. Just don't make any deals with the devil!

Alright, that's enough unsolicited advice from an anon. Hope you get some good news tomorrow!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies