NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:23:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 101
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 71800 times)
mjba257
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: April 04, 2024, 01:49:53 PM »

I'm not sure there's anything he can do since the judge has now stated he sees these last minute efforts as disingenuous. I think the judge has to approve the attorneys leaving the case so maybe even that wouldn't work. I think he will keep trying things though because it diverts the prosecution's attention away from the case when it has to respond to all these filings.

This case is a joke and should be thrown out and I say this as somebody who loathes Trump and wishes he'd just kick the bucket already. The fact that this judge hasn't tossed this case proves that he's a hack because any legitimate honest judge would've dismissed it.

Trump's best strategy is to delay. He's not getting a fair trial in Manhattan. He could try and fire his lawyers and if that doesn't work, feign illness. I do wonder what would happen if he just hunkered down in Mar-a-Lago and refused to show up? New York courts have zero jurisdiction over Florida and DeSantis could block any extradition requests.

Perhaps GOP governors could come together and economically boycott New York state until the case is dropped (i.e bar official travel, prohibit trade, ban flights, etc?)

Nice try but two federal judges have signalled that the case is serious.
Try harder next time "Trump hater".

It is a joke case. Ask yourself, why does Mr. Bragg refuse to prosecute violent criminals plaguing his jurisdiction, yet finds enough time to stretch the law to go after his political opponents? Hush money payments? Seriously? How about deal with those teens who keep sucker punching old ladies?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1651 on: April 04, 2024, 01:50:22 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2024, 01:53:45 PM by emailking »

I'm not sure there's anything he can do since the judge has now stated he sees these last minute efforts as disingenuous. I think the judge has to approve the attorneys leaving the case so maybe even that wouldn't work. I think he will keep trying things though because it diverts the prosecution's attention away from the case when it has to respond to all these filings.

This case is a joke and should be thrown out and I say this as somebody who loathes Trump and wishes he'd just kick the bucket already. The fact that this judge hasn't tossed this case proves that he's a hack because any legitimate honest judge would've dismissed it.

Trump's best strategy is to delay. He's not getting a fair trial in Manhattan. He could try and fire his lawyers and if that doesn't work, feign illness. I do wonder what would happen if he just hunkered down in Mar-a-Lago and refused to show up? New York courts have zero jurisdiction over Florida and DeSantis could block any extradition requests.

Perhaps GOP governors could come together and economically boycott New York state until the case is dropped (i.e bar official travel, prohibit trade, ban flights, etc?)

DeSantis can't legally block an extradition request if it comes from Hochul. He would be violating Florida law if it was properly submitted and he refused to sign off.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1652 on: April 04, 2024, 01:51:25 PM »

It is a joke case. Ask yourself, why does Mr. Bragg refuse to prosecute violent criminals plaguing his jurisdiction, yet finds enough time to stretch the law to go after his political opponents? Hush money payments? Seriously? How about deal with those teens who keep sucker punching old ladies?
I don't think "teens who keep sucker punching old ladies" usually get tried in federal court.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #1653 on: April 04, 2024, 01:57:19 PM »

Yeah, disagreeing with the strength of the case is one thing (and many people do).  If it's truly that weak, he'll either be acquitted or have a guilty verdict overturned on appeal.  But suggesting that red states band together to keep Trump a fugitive from justice and retaliate for his prosecution?  mjba257 is clearly no Trump hater.

Some things are more important than my personal dislike for one man. This is about fighting back against weaponized lawfare. Here you have an far-left DA from a deep-blue jurisdiction going after his political opponent using a "novel legal theory", all over a frivolous matter that happened eight years ago and only when said opponent declared his intention to run again, did this DA decide to revive the case (which btw, the feds had already declined to prosecute).

This is setting a dangerous precedent that goes far beyond Trump. That's why it's imperative red state governors take a strong stance against this and make it clear that if New York state wants to go down this path, they will be hurt economically.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1654 on: April 04, 2024, 01:59:12 PM »

You sound like Trump's TS feed.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #1655 on: April 04, 2024, 02:00:20 PM »

I don't think "teens who keep sucker punching old ladies" usually get tried in federal court.

Exactly. That's Mr. Bragg's job. It's his jurisdiction. But he doesn't do that. He lets them walk and surprise surprise, they keep doing it.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #1656 on: April 04, 2024, 02:01:29 PM »

DeSantis can't legally block an extradition request if it comes from Hochul. He would be violating Florida law if it was properly submitted and he refused to sign off.

He can change the law
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1657 on: April 04, 2024, 02:06:30 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico_v._Branstad
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1658 on: April 04, 2024, 02:07:52 PM »

Ok you're not being serious.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #1659 on: April 04, 2024, 02:18:44 PM »

I'm sorta half-kidding, half-serious.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1660 on: April 05, 2024, 12:39:13 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1661 on: April 05, 2024, 05:46:03 PM »

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1662 on: April 05, 2024, 06:04:50 PM »

When you are posting a message like that, can you please perhaps post even just a 1 sentence summary of the point this is all supposed to convey?

This way we could have some way of telling if we should really click laboriously on 12 different popup links.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1663 on: April 05, 2024, 06:24:11 PM »

When you are posting a message like that, can you please perhaps post even just a 1 sentence summary of the point this is all supposed to convey?

This way we could have some way of telling if we should really click laboriously on 12 different popup links.

Ok, Merchan let Trump's team file a (poor) motion to recuse Merchan from presiding over the trial because of a purported appearance of impropriety created by his daughter working for a firm that's connected to Democrats, but FYI, the tweets are embedding & readable just fine on this end even when logged out of both Atlas & Twitter, so your end may be glitching.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1664 on: April 05, 2024, 06:38:51 PM »

The tweets embed and read fine for me. 

HOWEVER: as a general suggestion (for everyone), I think embedding more than two tweets (which can actually post up to four with threading) makes the thread hard to read even when they read correctly.  If you are posting more than that, just quote them and provide links; for long threads, just a link to the first tweet in the thread or the unrolled version is sufficient.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1665 on: April 05, 2024, 06:40:53 PM »

Trump using a last minute shady rationale to delay his legal reckoning? Must be a day ending in day.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1666 on: April 06, 2024, 05:25:15 PM »

Trump says he'll be glad to go to jail in this case.

Crooked Judge Juan Merchan is not allowing me to talk, is taking away my First Amendment Rights, he’s got me GAGGED, because he doesn’t want the FACTS behind the Gag to come out. How many Corrupt, Biased, Crooked Joe Biden-“Protection Agency” New York Judges do I have to endure before somebody steps in? I had New York Federal Judge, Lewis Kaplan, with a woman who I never knew, and had nothing to do with, until she sued me for “defamation.” She did not know what day, month, or year the supposed “incident” took place - She knew nothing. Kaplan, a Hillary friend, wouldn’t even let my lawyers put on a proper case, made it two cases instead of one, took away my American Right to defend myself, and was a Crazed Bully as his wife and friends sat in the Courthouse, every day in their little roped off section, and prodded him on in awe. This mysterious lady, who said rape is sexy, got $91 Million Dollars.

Page 2: Then, of course, we have Arthur Engoron, a total lunatic, whack job, who ruled that I should pay an almost $500 Million Dollar “fine” for having done nothing wrong (No Victims, No Damages, Ironclad Disclaimer, ONLY SUCCESS!), in fact, he was the one who committed fraud when he purposely, at the direction of Racist, Corrupt A.G. Letitia James, undervalued Mar-a-Lago at $18 Million Dollars.

Page 3: Now, we have Merchan, who is not allowing me to talk, thereby violating the Law and the Constitution, all at once. It is so bad what he is trying to get away with - How was he even chosen for this case??? I heard he fought like hell to get it, and all of the rest of them also! If this Partisan Hack wants to put me in the “clink” for speaking the open and obvious TRUTH, I will gladly become a Modern Day Nelson Mandela - It will be my GREAT HONOR. We have to Save our Country from these Political Operatives masquerading as Prosecutors and Judges, and I am willing to sacrifice my Freedom for that worthy cause. We are a Failing Nation, but on November 5th, we will become a Great Nation again. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1667 on: April 06, 2024, 07:42:15 PM »

If the motion is poorly written, that could be more evidence that Trump's lawyers are incompetent.
He could then fire them with justification.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1668 on: April 06, 2024, 07:48:38 PM »

As I said before, the judge has to approve the lawyers leaving the case, regardless of him firing them, paying them, etc.

From https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-may-fire-legal-team-delay-trial-attorney-1885484

"What happens if Trump fires his lawyers? This can be a difficult one because defendants are entitled to counsel of their choosing, and lawyers are entitled to sufficient time to prepare. But Trump has a lot of lawyers on his team and the Judge has to be prepared for this one. Trump would have to argue a significant issue has developed with his lawyers before the Judge would agree to let them out of the case, and it's going to be difficult to do that with all of them. The Judge could tell him to go ahead with the remaining lawyers, because if Trump does this at the eleventh hour, it's going to look manufactured. But it's still an issue the Judge has to be careful about to avoid problems on appeal, and so far, Judge Merchan has shown himself to be a careful, meticulous jurist."
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1669 on: April 06, 2024, 07:52:39 PM »

As I said before, the judge has to approve the lawyers leaving the case, regardless of him firing them, paying them, etc.

From https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-may-fire-legal-team-delay-trial-attorney-1885484

"What happens if Trump fires his lawyers? This can be a difficult one because defendants are entitled to counsel of their choosing, and lawyers are entitled to sufficient time to prepare. But Trump has a lot of lawyers on his team and the Judge has to be prepared for this one. Trump would have to argue a significant issue has developed with his lawyers before the Judge would agree to let them out of the case, and it's going to be difficult to do that with all of them. The Judge could tell him to go ahead with the remaining lawyers, because if Trump does this at the eleventh hour, it's going to look manufactured. But it's still an issue the Judge has to be careful about to avoid problems on appeal, and so far, Judge Merchan has shown himself to be a careful, meticulous jurist."

The judge cannot force Trump to keep incompetent lawyers filing poorly written motions.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1670 on: April 06, 2024, 07:55:25 PM »

Pretty sure he can and that it would just be an appeal issue, but in any case that's a pretty big if. He has perfectly competent lawyers.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1671 on: April 06, 2024, 07:57:07 PM »

Pretty sure he can and that it would just be an appeal issue, but in any case that's a pretty big if. He has perfectly competent lawyers.

Not if they are filing poorly written motions, they are not.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1672 on: April 06, 2024, 07:59:00 PM »

Ok but that hasn't happened nor is there any reason to think it will.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1673 on: April 06, 2024, 07:59:35 PM »

Since his lawyers are probably competent, this must be the plan how to delay the trial for several months.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1674 on: April 06, 2024, 08:00:59 PM »

Guess we'll see 👍🏻
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 101  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies