What's the most innocuous thing you've ever posted that sent someone into a rage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the most innocuous thing you've ever posted that sent someone into a rage?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the most innocuous thing you've ever posted that sent someone into a rage?  (Read 476 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2024, 12:28:47 PM »

Not necessarily on Atlas/TE although you can mention something you posted here if so.

Anyway I posted about being banned from r/atheism just for posting a Furnace Fest video but I once posted this in a 2000s emo/hardcore Facebook group:

That's it. That was the entire post.

....and some guy got infuriated, accused me and the band of supporting genocide and went on some deranged rant that had people laughing at him including many who weren't Christian until he left the group in a huff.

I also got a bunch of people on Reddit pretty triggered for pointing out in r/Minneapolis that....there was much cheaper parking about two blocks away from a music venue, and then was accused of controlling behavior and emotional abuse.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 12:38:45 PM »

I once made a comment about Thomas the Tank Engine.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 12:52:10 PM »

I once made a comment about Thomas the Tank Engine.
It's not a two-part story. It's The Sad Story of Henry.

The Fat Controller says specifically we will bury you alive FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.

Those words are quite specific, and adhere faithfully to the Rev. W. Awdry's written story, unlike the American re-dubbed version which makes it seem like it's a two-parter & we're just waiting for when Henry feels like coming out again.

On Nick, Jr., they even cut the creepy Cask of Amontillado brick-wall-entombing scene.

ENTOMBED ALIVE, ETERNAL DAMNATION FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER IN SAECULA SAECULORUM!

• This episode is based on the story of the same name from the Railway Series book, The Three Railway Engines.
  • In the Nick Jr. version of the Shining Time Station episode, Mysterious Stranger, the sequence of Henry being bricked up is shortened.
  • In all US narrations, Henry being shut up in the tunnel was said to be a temporary punishment until he was ready to come out, with it being stating he needed to overcome his fear of the rain, while the UK narration stays true to the original format from the Railway Series where the Fat Controller intended to leave Henry in the tunnel indefinitely.

At the end as the theme music happily plays on the camera zooms away from Henry's sad face sticking out from behind his brick wall tomb where will he will suffer eternal damnation.

All because Henry dared to disobey Fat Controller to have control over his own body & not have his paint ruined under Topham Hatt's brutal regime. An agitator daring to demand even the slightest of improved working conditions as a wage-slave* to Topham Hatt.

Ringo Starr creepily invites all the children to agree "I think he deserved his punishment, don't you?"

That's how The Sad Story of Henry left off with generations of children. The end. Did you learn your moral lesson from the good Reverend from Henry's Sad Story?

In the next episode, Fat Controller only ends up letting Henry out because he is FORCED TO by happenstance- Capitalist Fatso needs Henry's labour because he was working his other wage-slave* employees so hard that one of them literally broke down & was no longer of use to Fat Controller, but he needed a laborer to keep the profits rolling in- Henry was suddenly of use to Fat Controller again!

Gordon's valve bursts & he breaks down because Fat Controller works his wage-slaves* to death, too cheap & greedy to provide adequate healthcare/maintenance to prevent his employees from having heart attacks while being harshly overworked 24/7 & underpaid*, getting catastrophic illnesses leaving them paralyzed.

*Actually they're not even paid ANY wages, literally just slaves of Sir Topham Hatt

And Fat Controller gets ANGRY & PUBLICLY HUMILIATES his slave Gordon for breaking down while being whipped so hard to WORK, WORK, WORK by the Topham Hatt regime!

"Hmmph! I never liked these big engines, always going wrong, send for another engine at once!"

Hatt also seems to harbor prejudice against his slaves based on their innate physical characteristics.

They uncouple Gordon to slide him out of the way- he's now USELESS to Fat Controller, useless to capitalist society. All used up, get out of the way!

Fat Controller tries to get one of his other slaves to do the job, Edward tries, but fails.

Nobody else is strong enough to pull the Express train besides Gordon...and Henry.

So then left with no other options, Fat Controller stands up in front of entombed Henry behind his brick wall prison, "Will you help pull this train, Henry?"

The release of Henry is entirely conditional on Henry agreeing to immediately do Fat Controller's bidding to get that Express train- and PROFITS!- rolling again ASAP because Fat Controller was suddenly faced with a labour shortage crisis & was losing money rapidly.

Henry got "lucky" that the Capitalists needed his labour in a crisis:

The BIG MONEY Express train had nobody to pull it- costing Fat Controller LOTS OF £££££££££££!

(Fat Controller could afford to lose a few pounds!)

Never again will Henry question authority, he's learned his lesson!

That's how capitalism works.

The island of Sodor actually has much more labour-friendly conditions than the real world since there is a finite source of labour and full employment (albeit unpaid indentured servitude at best).

Real world capitalism has unemployment built-in so when Fat Controllers of the world get some uppity anti-slavery abolitionist agitator like Henry, or an employee like Gordon gets stricken with catastrophic illness thanks to their brutal working conditions & lack of access to basic preventive healthcare- GOODBYE FOREVER!

You're all USED UP, we don't need, you're useless to society! Capitalism has chewed you up and spit you out!

Millions of people waiting on the unemployment lines begging to take your place to be worked to death for low (or no) wages!

You're only useful to the extent that a Capitalist needing & using you for your labour would increase his profits.

When he's done with you, you can go die in a tunnel for all Fat Controller capitalist society cares.

Total horror show. The conditions upon which Henry ends up being oh-so-generously released from being entombed alive FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER thanks to the selfless kindness & generosity & mercy  Roll Eyes of Sir Topham Hatt don't make things better, they make it worse. An Anglican authoritarian capitalist dystopian nightmare.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 01:37:37 PM »

I said that someone would be justified in using lethal force to protect their dog from someone trying to kill it, and half the forum lost their minds.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 03:57:55 PM »

There's always some annoying contrarian wanting to "well ackchyually" some small part of my larger argument. I straight up just don't respond to them anymore.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 04:05:09 PM »

I said that someone would be justified in using lethal force to protect their dog from someone trying to kill it, and half the forum lost their minds.
Everybody loves John Wick until they see him in real life. Roll Eyes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 04:39:55 PM »

I got a 1 week kick on AH after a German poster went on a diatribe about how he didn't like America with our history of imperialism and genocide, and I responded with something to the effect of "Why should any American care about this coming from a German??"

I don't think that was even questionable, much less ban-worthy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 04:45:38 PM »

FWIW I agree with you on the issue but think the point was missed after looking up the original thread: if someone breaks into your house and poses a threat to your pet, they also pose a threat to you and you have grounds for personal self-defense. Even if they insist they're only there to kill your dog and have no intention of killing you, you have no reason or obligation to believe them.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 04:57:07 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2024, 05:00:55 PM by VBM »

FWIW I agree with you on the issue but think the point was missed after looking up the original thread: if someone breaks into your house and poses a threat to your pet, they also pose a threat to you and you have grounds for personal self-defense. Even if they insist they're only there to kill your dog and have no intention of killing you, you have no reason or obligation to believe them.
Most people would consider their pet to be a member of their family. It’s obviously justified, both legally and morally, to use lethal force when the lives of your family members are in peril. Many posters in that thread (probably one of the worst threads in Atlas history tbh) said that you should value the life of your pet’s attempted murderer than the life of your pet, which is just ghastly

I used this as my example in this thread because 99% of pet owners in real life would tell you that of course someone would be justified in this case. It wouldn’t even be a debate. This is just one of those weird cases where terminally online people try to “um ackshually” something that’s obvious to normal people. It’s kinda like when some Rose Twitter types get really mad when a store owner beats up someone who tried to rob them
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 07:01:45 PM »

I used the word "cuck" in an ironic way and JacksonHitchcock called me a "homophobe."

I'm pretty sure he was just trolling in the usually ineffective way he always did though.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 10:37:55 PM »

I used the word "cuck" in an ironic way and JacksonHitchcock called me a "homophobe."

I'm pretty sure he was just trolling in the usually ineffective way he always did though.
Idk what that poster's politics were, but I've noticed that because "cuck" was a popular word in alt right circles, many liberals and progressives have a kneejerk reaction to it and assume that anyone who uses the word cuck in any context must be a far right incel.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 10:42:22 PM »

Idk what that poster's politics were, but I've noticed that because "cuck" was a popular word in alt right circles, many liberals and progressives have a kneejerk reaction to it and assume that anyone who uses the word cuck in any context must be a far right incel.

They knew I was using it ironically, especially given my history.

I don't know specifically remember his politics, but he was mostly a troll from what I remember.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 11:05:27 PM »

Everything I post is innocuous so just make a list
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2024, 02:27:23 AM »

His was not rage exactly (in fact I ended up being the angrier one) but I once caused S019 to throw a fit by suggesting that English spelling is ridiculous.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 06:24:49 PM »

Not necessarily on Atlas/TE although you can mention something you posted here if so.

Anyway I posted about being banned from r/atheism just for posting a Furnace Fest video but I once posted this in a 2000s emo/hardcore Facebook group:

That's it. That was the entire post.

....and some guy got infuriated, accused me and the band of supporting genocide and went on some deranged rant that had people laughing at him including many who weren't Christian until he left the group in a huff.

I also got a bunch of people on Reddit pretty triggered for pointing out in r/Minneapolis that....there was much cheaper parking about two blocks away from a music venue, and then was accused of controlling behavior and emotional abuse.
I'm not sure if this counts as innocuous since I can understand why my post could be considered problematic, but Santander's response to me referring to Tim Scott as "Uncle Tim" was very over the top. He begged the mods to ban me for saying that
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 08:35:31 PM »

"go home, you're drunk"
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 10:49:06 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=564852.msg9217145#msg9217145
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 10:50:00 PM »

Anytime I’ve banned someone probably.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2024, 01:15:25 PM »

Any response to Badger.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 03:15:26 PM »

Not here, but back in 2008 I posted that the movie The Dark Knight was right-wing coded and could have been written by John McCain. This was 100% a compliment and sent this one guy on a comic book message board I belonged to into a rage. After like five ranting posts from him, I responded with a Joker emoji and the line "Why So Serious?" and he implied that he would fly to NJ to kick my ass, thus getting himself banned.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2024, 03:34:03 PM »

Recent example: Gustaf doesn't like me and considers me "unpleasant" after I gently criticized him for making some bad strategic/time-related decisions in a Diplomacy game. Pretty disappointing since I tried my hardest to word that criticism carefully and he still got pissed.

Another recent example I've mentioned is Donerail getting triggered on Discord for some light teasing over an opinion written by some judge.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 04:06:01 PM »

Not here, but back in 2008 I posted that the movie The Dark Knight was right-wing coded and could have been written by John McCain. This was 100% a compliment and sent this one guy on a comic book message board I belonged to into a rage. After like five ranting posts from him, I responded with a Joker emoji and the line "Why So Serious?" and he implied that he would fly to NJ to kick my ass, thus getting himself banned.
Okay, I'm as lib as they come, but this is funny.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 04:28:20 PM »

I got banned from a discord server for telling a mod that he was being a hypocrite
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 04:32:58 PM »

Post-industrialization is feminization.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »