New PA Maps In Effect (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:22:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New PA Maps In Effect (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New PA Maps In Effect  (Read 87545 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« on: February 17, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »

John O'Neill, who drew Florida's current congressional and state senate maps, made a 9D-9R PA (7 safe seats for both sides and 4 that lean one way or the other, but could be won by either side) map that does better on the neutral criteria on the whole than every other plan that's been released.

He splits less counties and municipalities than any other map and ties the Senate Democrats for the fewest precinct splits. His compactness score is also better or tied than any other map in 2 of the 3 compactness score and only 0.1 off on the third. What allows his map to be more competative is he splits the City of Pittsburgh as one of his 14 municipality splits, splits Philadelphia 4 times, and Bucks as one of his county splits.  

Source

Here is the PVI data

I would not be shocked if we got a map that looked like this.

I like this one a lot.

Of course you do. Your avatar claims you’re a Democrat. I hate this map because I”m a Republican, and this map gives Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Democrats far more power than they deserve. Geography matters.

That’s one of many reasons why if I were writing the rules, cities would not be chopped more often than necessary as a first order, except to comply with the VRA.

Sure, and I happen to think that Republicans shouldn't get more representation because of a geographic quirk. But you are a Republican, so of course you think that people living in cities should be underrepresented.

I don't like how Pittsburgh is split up at all.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »

I'm most interested to see who wins the new 17th. It's a narrow Trump district but ancestrally Dem.

I think we’ll pick it up, honestly.  Curious to see if anyone (Costello?) will retire in light of the new map.

So 8 Clinton seats + Cartwright's seat + PA-17 means ceiling of 10 seats come November?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »

Didn't Ice Spear once vote for a GOP state senator in 2014 or something? So I assume there's still a few reasonable Republican legislators out there in the state.  
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »

MD should be 6-2 but the Dems could have drawn 8-0 if they wanted and did not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies