WaPo: GOP may add to 2010 house gains (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:40:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WaPo: GOP may add to 2010 house gains (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WaPo: GOP may add to 2010 house gains  (Read 1942 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« on: November 03, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »

The above post is amusing nonsense. Will County, Illinois was split into 6 Congressional districts.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »

The above post is amusing nonsense. Will County, Illinois was split into 6 Congressional districts.

I'm referring to the state as a whole. As I said, I don't defend partisan redistricting in any instance, including what happened in Illinois. Where exactly did I defend that map? My point was that the end result is far more obscene in the North Carolina map. At the very least, NC-12 should be struck down as an illegal racial gerrymander. It's completely nonsensical to string together Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro along with random territory in between. Like I said before, I don't support one side laying down arms while the other does not, but I'm not afraid to call out both sides on this issue. Can the same be said of you?

If you don't mind, I'd be more than happy to take this to another board so that we can compare our own versions on how the states should be drawn ideally (that is, unless you only view Democratic gerrymanders as bad and NC as just fine, in which case this conversation will almost certainly go nowhere).

Right here, with this statement that isn't particularly true.

Even so, it really is quite something to turn an Obama state into a 10-3 McCain majority. I'm not going to play the holier-than-thou game, but nowhere did Democrats go that far. That's the equivalent of stretching Chicago into downstate districts.

Not only did you guys initially connect Charlotte, WS, and Greensboro in the last mapping, you guys also dropped Chicago into Kankakee County. But I guess you'd have to willfully not look closely at the 12 congressional districts that hit Chicagoland in order to make such statements.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »

See my point above. At the least, I do believe NC-12 was justified in some way as VRA-protected in the 90's. That is no longer the case since it isn't even majority-minority. Even as a VRA district, I think it would go too far to warrant protection though.

http://www.ncleg.net/GIS/Download/District_Plans/DB_2011/Congress/Rucho-Lewis_Congress_3/Reports/VTD_SingleDistrict/RegPR_PDF/rptVTDRegPR-12.pdf

http://www.ncleg.net/GIS/Download/District_Plans/DB_2011/Congress/Rucho-Lewis_Congress_3/Reports/VTD_SingleDistrict/Vap_PDF/rptVTDVap-12.pdf

The new district is 37% white by VAP and 36% by registration.

http://www.ncleg.net/GIS/Download/District_Plans/DB_2011/Congress/Congress_ZeroDeviation/Reports/VTD_SingleDistrict/RegPR_PDF/rptVTDRegPR-12.pdf

http://www.ncleg.net/GIS/Download/District_Plans/DB_2011/Congress/Congress_ZeroDeviation/Reports/VTD_SingleDistrict/Vap_PDF/rptVTDVap-12.pdf

The old district was 46% white by VAP and 45% by registration.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »

Does the VRA even mandate a black district in western NC?

Just because you have distirct and it is majority/pluralityy black doesn't mean it is protected. That isn't how it works.

No. Mecklenburg and Forsyth aren't even Section V counties.

The new 12th is also stops just shot of being an outright BVAP majority seat, 49.6% black VAP; a pretty transparent attempt by the GOP to pack as many blacks into the district while avoiding racial gerrymander issues.

Actually its probably 50% black VAP now even if it wasn't at the census.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies