If you were in charge of McDonald’s, would you have them sell alcoholic drinks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:35:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  If you were in charge of McDonald’s, would you have them sell alcoholic drinks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were in charge of McDonald’s, would you have them sell alcoholic drinks?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: If you were in charge of McDonald’s, would you have them sell alcoholic drinks?  (Read 1655 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2021, 01:24:51 AM »

?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 01:59:34 AM »

I had never considered this idea until now, but frankly I think it's an injustice (possibly unconstitutional?) that I cannot get a McChicken with a McBeer. I am going to send a sternly-written letter to Joe Biden about this.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »

Yes because it would make the company more money
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »

Yes! I sometimes get puzzled looks for getting food at McDonalds and then cider separately at Pans & Company, when it's not really even my fault.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:53:55 PM »

They already do in some locations/countries, so this is clearly a conscious business decision based on individual markets. If there was a business case, they would've done it in the US.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 12:40:06 AM »

A large amount of McDonald's business in North America is done by drive-thru, which in many jurisdictions are prohibited from selling alcohol. I can't see it happening as it wants a uniform menu in each country.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 09:37:52 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 06:55:51 AM by Kevin »

No,

In the American cultural context selling booze at McDonald’s would make no sense.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 03:47:32 AM »

No I wouldn't. It makes no sense, would be poorly received, and cut into my profits.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 04:51:52 PM »

No
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 04:57:51 PM »

Not necessarily as it would require a liquor license and new training for employees, and since people don't tend to go to McDonald's seeking alcoholic beverages wouldn't necessarily generate enough sales to increase revenue to cover those increased expenses.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 02:23:49 PM »

A Bailey's Irish Cream shake would be interesting.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 02:31:26 PM »

I don't drink, but if I did I wouldn't trust that set with alcohol any more than I'd trust them with crab cakes.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 05:35:42 PM »

Not necessarily as it would require a liquor license and new training for employees, and since people don't tend to go to McDonald's seeking alcoholic beverages wouldn't necessarily generate enough sales to increase revenue to cover those increased expenses.

You only need to pay for those things once. And the training is not extensive, it's literally just telling them they have to card anyone trying to buy it who looks under 50 or whatever.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 07:20:01 PM »

You only need to pay for those things once. And the training is not extensive, it's literally just telling them they have to card anyone trying to buy it who looks under 50 or whatever.
Liquor licenses have to be renewed annually and are often capped per city or county.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 07:38:51 PM »

Liquor licenses have to be renewed annually and are often capped per city or county.

I think that depends on the state. Like in New York it's obviously not a barrier to tons of random stores selling beer plus pretty much every chain like Target and Dollar General.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »

If I were in charge at McDonald's I'd start sprinkling big macs with cocaine and see how long it took anyone to notice.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 08:37:36 PM »

No, McDonald's is the place you go when you're already drunk
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »

Only to Wulfric.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 09:10:17 PM »

McDonald's already sells beer in Spain, though nothing stronger than that. Either way yeah, there is no reason not to sell beer.

I had never considered this idea until now, but frankly I think it's an injustice (possibly unconstitutional?) that I cannot get a McChicken with a McBeer. I am going to send a sternly-written letter to Joe Biden about this.

McDonalds already allows you to get your McChicken (as well as any other hamburger you want) with a McBeer over here. Feel free to move to Spain any time you want for that Tongue
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 09:11:10 PM »

Yes! I sometimes get puzzled looks for getting food at McDonalds and then cider separately at Pans & Company, when it's not really even my fault.

Huh, surprised McDonald's doesn't sell beer in Portugal given they do sell it here. Though they literally just sell beer and nothing else, not even cider.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »

I think that depends on the state. Like in New York it's obviously not a barrier to tons of random stores selling beer plus pretty much every chain like Target and Dollar General.

I think there's a distinction between selling alcohol and serving alcohol. At least depending on the state. Minnesota's are pretty strict, only authorized liquor stores can sell alcohol and the only Targets or grocery stores that do are ones with an attached liquor store with a separate door. But serving alcohol to drink requires a liquor license in all states, and I've never heard of one that doesn't require renewal. Pennsylvania btw caps liquor licenses in the state so if it's maxed out (as it is now and has been basically forever) the only way to get a license is to buy one from someone else, so closing businesses will auction their license and it often goes for like $25k....it's probably not even feasible for every McDonald's in Pennsylvania to serve alcohol.

Also it's not just telling employees "card people". They also have to be able to spot fake IDs and the like. A bartender friend of mine told me about some things on Minnesota driver's licenses that all legit licenses have such as that the last two digits are always the number the first three digits on the ID add up to (for example mine is 288 at the beginning and ends in 18.) That's not difficult to train either...but do you really want some minimum wage untipped worker who's the sort of person who has to work at McDonald's being all that's standing between you and your business getting potentially a $20k+ fine? Because that's something every franchise owner would have to deal with. Also in most states this would effectively ban anyone under 21 from working at McDonald's, at least at the front counter. (I know in many states under 21 cashiers can ring up customers buying alcohol, but I don't know of any that allows under 21s to actually pour and serve alcoholic drinks. Some might allow under 21 waiters and waitresses to bring drinks to a table but not actually prepare it.)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »

You have to pay for it once, but you have to donate to your alderman's re-election campaign annually if you want to keep it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 07:53:36 AM »

No, McDonald's is the place you go when you're already drunk
That's Waffle House, since they're likely to still be open once the bars close.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »

Actually, a bigger problem for McDonald's would be that every state has a minimum age of at least 18 to serve alcohol, with many having it higher, especially for liquor.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »

Sure, not at drive-thrus though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies