Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:36:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 389914 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 12:48:56 AM »

You can comment here, but I already acknowledged that.

Assembly is open to all Northeastern residents...

I would like to support this bill, but I would like Antonio to explain to me how a Representative is bound to resign because inactive voters voted for them... I hope he can better explain it to me.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2009, 03:37:39 PM by Northeast Rep. Doctor Cynic »

Representative Antonio, I must confess originally I was leaning in support of the measure, however, after some thought I am leaning against. The reason being is that while I sympathize with its intent, I don't know that it will truly accomplish anything. Our actions may do nothing in the Senate and this will be a waste of time. So, I'm hoping that you can convince me otherwise...
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2009, 02:10:05 AM by Northeast Rep. Doctor Cynic »

I would like to offer the following amendment to my esteemed collegue and friend's initiative. This will make the statement more palatable and more in line with a realistic goal:

Northeast initiative for ethics in voting

Whereas :
- The action of asking people that absolutely don't take part in Atlasian politics to vote for one candidate in order to serve one person's political interest is a clear threat for democracy.
- Recent events permitted to put on light how common said practices have become.
- Northeast Region is particularly concerned by said practices.
- The absence of specific legislation on this domain at the federal level is the main cause of said practices.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly states that:
- Zombie voting is not welcome in the Northeast Region, and shall be fought by every legal mean.
- Every elected official of the Northeast Region shall be exemplary on this domain, for example resigning from his/her office if he/she considers that his/her election was due to zombie voters.

- The Northeast Region officially urges the Senate to pass a law that will restrict voting rights to people who really take part in Atlasia outside voting booths.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2009, 03:14:56 PM by Northeast Rep. Doctor Cynic »

Without the amendment, I cannot support it. It's just not a realistic expectation, even if it passes this body, to think that the Senate would pass something along those lines. I don't know what it would do. It's so ambiguous. I like your intent, just not this particular initiative.

As much as I would like to see something done here... It just can't happen with this one, my friend.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »

I'm keeping the amendment before the floor.

Aye.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

I second Rep. Antonio's motion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »

It's far from perfect, but it's a start.

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 12:54:53 AM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 03:29:45 PM »

It's unfortunate that this wouldn't pass, because it seems to be common sense. Anyone who would consider themselves pro-gun should embrace this measure. Not only does it provide for common safety, and it doesn't limit sales to anyone except the mentally imbalanced.

Would you want a crazy person to have a gun?...

Other than that, I don't see why this bill can't be supported. So if my conservative friends on the other side of the asile could explain any opposition, I welcome the chance to fight on this bill's behalf, if Antonio doesn't want to.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »

Why would you be opposed to safety classes and I.D.s for getting a firearm? That's a pretty foolish thing to do.

I oppose any restriction on the production or selling of firearms, but it stands to reason this would be helpful and somewhat necessary.

Safety and Liberty can coexist within this bill and I defy you to prove otherwise.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

The Ayes are Three; the Nays ae Four. The Bill has failed.

Northeast Gun Safety Act

1. Selling firearms to any person below the age of 18 is illegal
2. Salespersons are required to check customer idenity before transaction
3. Selling firearms to convicted felons is illegal
4. Selling firearms to persons with confirmed serious mental ilness is illegal
5. Every school in the Northeast Region is required to provide a compulsory coursed for every student below the age of 15 about dangers of using the firearms, as well as about providing a basic medical help to gunshot victims in every 3 months.

The Question is, shall the bill be considered? The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Rep. Antonio V, has the floor.

I would like to offer two amendments, one to strike Section 2, and one to strike Section 5.

You will have to reprint the bill with the desired amendments to make it official. Go back a few pages and see how it's done. It's easy.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »

I don't see why the government should have any role in telling the people the right way to use a firearm. To me, it seems like the first step in an attempt to simply restrict guns altogether. As for IDs, citizens have a RIGHT to bear arms, one which should not be infringed upon by ID checks.

So, then released criminals or those with criminal backgrounds could get those guns anyway?... Also, it makes perfect sense to have gun safety courses available. What would be the point of having it if you can't use it? I see no reason why these should be stricken.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

I support having them AVAILABLE. What he is asking is for it to be COMPULSORY. Also, criminals, if caught, would be facing extra time for using a firearm in aggression AS WELL as breaking the law by possessing one in the first place.

I think what the bill is asking is perfectly reasonable. It's not as though they are being restricted in anyway, but providing photo I.D. is a reasonable safety precaution. There's nothing in this bill about making them unavailable to anyone other than the criminal or the insane. Identification presentation is one way to help prevent them from falling into those hands.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »

This is perfectly acceptable.

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »

Oh, is that my former project? Smiley

Btw, isn't Hamilton seat vacant since he left Atlasia?

It's been filled.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 11:17:02 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »

Hamilton is not benned. His name still shows up on the Members List.

Well, if he doesn't vote on the next bill, he will be at risk of expelled from the legislature.  Do we need to have some sort of proceedings for that?

Rep. Doctor Cynic - I don't think we're voting on Cape Wind yet.  Rep. Mr. Moderate should have the floor to explain his bill.

Expressing Support. That's all.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »

Right now, we are looking at an economy that is slugging along with little creation or concern for our glorious enviroment.

This bill has a two prong design. First, to protect the enviroment by converting and creating green jobs. The second is to expand the economy and shoot the unemployment rate down. Admittedly, the bill is not designed as a final solution, but rather the first step in vital enviromental protection and job creation. I urge my friends in the Assembly to approve this bill.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_job

The same way the government creates non-green jobs. Seriously, it is just the creation of new jobs in enviromentally friendly sectors with incentives.

I don't know the cost. Ask someone who took a more advanced math course for that one. Although, it should come from the stimulus budget.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 02:23:41 AM »

I will support this bill with the friendly amendments. Without them, I cannot support it. I don't believe in voting requirements, but am willing to compromise.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »

Do you mind if I amend 2c) to say "Approval of the Governor in the form of his signature" - to make it clear that he must affirmatively sign any proposed amendment?  There appears to be some sort of issue about that on the Governor's office thread.

Personally, I think that's a good idea.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies