OH-PPP: Obama @ 44% approval, leads Republicans by at least 2% (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:40:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  OH-PPP: Obama @ 44% approval, leads Republicans by at least 2% (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH-PPP: Obama @ 44% approval, leads Republicans by at least 2%  (Read 2883 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: August 18, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »

The electorate is likely going to be less Dem-friendly than it was in 2008 though.

I don't get Obama doing so relatively well in Ohio. It doesn't make sense to me.

John Kasich. Otherwise Obama would be in the dumpster here too and he may very well wind up there eventually depending on how the economy is and what ends up happing with Ohio Senate Bill 5, the public employee union reform. By that I don't just mean how badly it fails, but what the public outcry is like.

Just why is Kasich so unpopular?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »

Odd. I don't understand why folks want to overpay public employees, but I guess that is their right. One would think they would rather pay market, and get more services (or less taxes), but I guess not.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »

IIRC it only passed the Ohio Senate by one vote, despite the GOP having an over 2/3 majority.

Unionization only passed by 1 vote in the Ohio Senate.

Yes, but with a quarter of Republicans opposed stripping unionization rights. SB 5 is just that radical (and wrongheaded).

@ Torie: Collective bargaining rights /=/ overpaying public employees. If we were truly talking about "what the free market allows", we wouldn't be inserting government interference with employee's right to organize to negotiate with employers instead of making it punishable by jail and stiff fines.

Yes, Badger, but that system results in overcompensation, particularly via pensions, so it needs to be changed. That is another topic for another day. It is fairly complex actually - the dynamic between public employees and the politicians who are their employers, and sometimes, when they increase public employee benefits, they increase their own. It's a mess really. Federal employees by the way have no bargaining rights over compensation whatsoever, as I am sure that you know. And the system works much better. Federal employees do have certain statutory rights to fair treatment, but not over compensation - of any kind or nature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies