TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:55:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting  (Read 54929 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 03, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »

YMMV, but after following the 2018 elections closely, O'Rourke seems like the only candidate in that batch with a strong personal appeal. There were others who ran out of a unique political niche (Sinema) or who ran particularly strong campaigns (Abrams), but Texas was the only contest where it seemed like no other candidate could have done so well.

Eh. I don't think any Republican other than Rick Scott was going to knock off Bill Nelson that year. It took Scott's own goodwill from his hurricane management in 2017 to really put him over the edge.

IMO it's hard to compare the statewide maps in Florida and come away thinking that the candidates had that much to do with the outcomes in 2018.

Of course in a razor's-edge contest it's inarguable that they mattered.

I still wonder whether that Senate loss had more to do with Scott's Guns-of-Navarone-level campaign spending, or with Bill Nelson being vulnerable to a "doddering old man" caricature that would have been effective regardless of his opponent.

This question deserves some national attention given the age of the leading Democratic presidential contenders.

Well Trump isn't that much younger than Bernie or Biden. But I think it'll be hard to paint either as a "tired old man" like Nelson. Nelson didn't even really start fundraising/campaigning until September 2018 because he assumed that Scott would be another pushover like Harris or Mack. Both Bernie and Biden have a lot more energy, and won't take anything for granted. They should be fine on that front as long as they don't collapse in public a la Hillary at the 9/11 memorial.

And I do think Scott was the only one who could have beaten Nelson. As a popular incumbent governor who also happens to be a multimillionaire, Scott was just about the strongest candidate Republicans could have fielded for that race, and considering how close it was even with him, I find it hard to believe that anyone else could have won.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »

God why didn't Castro run? Probably because the slime at the DSCC pushed him to not run so they could run a mushy middle dem like Hegar instead. Ugh

Still will be very competitive, toss-up

Castro didn't run because he dropped out of the Presidential race after the filing deadline had passed because he was that insistent on his stupid vanity bid for President.

He wouldn't have won the primary anyway.

I think OP is referring to Joaquin Castro. And yes, he would have definitely won the primary given the current state of the field.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:34:52 PM »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »

We're probably in for some massive fundraising totals in the next week or so.

Wonder how much was in the last two weeks alone.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »

I am wondering if Julian Castro is regretting not runnning.

Hegar is good but this race seems to have got virtually no attention & seems to have come bottom of the list

I thought Joaquin was gearing up for a run in Spring 2019. Not sure why he didn't, since he would have likely cleared the primary field and gotten a big head start on fundraising and name rec, rather than getting locked into a messy runoff like Hegar.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 01:26:00 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/us/politics/texas-house-democrats-republicans.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR2D90rNTM_OgTAgz3YEHDy-Tx_g67jeonmcCRFQU-Nm8NGfDVMnPyRPebY

Biden-Cornyn voter - a former GOP State Rep from Tarrant County who's also voting for the Democratic State House candidate and the Republican State Senator. People sure do have strange voting habits...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies