Is the conservative movement collapsing? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:47:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is the conservative movement collapsing? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Is the conservative movement collapsing?  (Read 2243 times)
wolfsblood07
United States

« on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »

The conservative movement has fractured.  We have Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, Donald Trump in one faction.  We have the libertarians.  We have the John McCain deficit hawks and neocons. And we have the traditional big business faction, the paleocons, the evangelicals.  We need to bring these factions back together like Nixon and Reagan did.
The movement fractured when Bush 41 embraced the New World Order and all hell broke loose with Saddam Hussein.  That was when Pat Buchanan started the revolt.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:58:07 PM »

No.

"Small government" has absolutely nothing to do with the conservative movement, or why people have voted Republican for the past 50 years.

I mean you're right that Republicans would not have won without racism, religious wedge issues, and militaristic fearmongering, but there ARE millions of people, many of which that I know personally and in fact I actually used to be, that believe/are convinced that government is inherently inefficient and should therefore be small. 

That number is not inconsequential and is the result of remarkable evangelization by intellectuals like Friedman, Reagan, etc.
But doesn't it make sense that less government = more freedom and more incentive to achieve?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies