Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:57:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915301 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: February 24, 2022, 01:14:20 AM »

May every Russian  Soldier who enters the Ukraine catch a bullet through the eye socket.  Every. God. Damned. One.

There, I said it.

Not very Christ-like of you, Badger.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1751 on: February 24, 2022, 01:14:43 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1752 on: February 24, 2022, 01:15:03 AM »

Anybody else leaning towards the concept that Russia is moving towards a full scale invasion and occupation?

Could be a great Putin bluff, but why go all out unless you are looking for the best position on the chessboard?

There is no possible case that it is limited to Donetsk/Luhansk, given that we have video of troops crossing from Belarus into Northern Ukraine etc, which is nowhere near.

It is possible that Putin may not want to occupy 100% of Ukraine all the way to the Polish border, but it is clearly not some small portion of it that he has in mind.

It could be that Putin is aiming to acquire all of Ukraine (including Kiev) east of the Dneiper, leaving the Ukrainian pro-Western portion alone for now.  This is assuming he isn't going to launch an amphibious invasion to take Odessa (and beyond) and thus strip Ukraine of its access to the Black Sea.

Wait, I see someone has already preceded me:

It could be that Putin wants to use the status of Luhansk and Donestsk to push the border up to the Dniper, thereby leaving a rump Western Ukrainian state with Kyiv still as it's capital while swallowing up the rest of Ukraine. This is just speculation though and Putin's aims are included in the fog of war.

Edit: On second thought, I can't see Putin pushing up to the Dniper and not annexing Kiev even if it's not the same bank of the Dniper.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1753 on: February 24, 2022, 01:15:28 AM »

May every Russian  Soldier who enters the Ukraine catch a bullet through the eye socket.  Every. God. Damned. One.

There, I said it.

Don't you have a spate of unintelligible completely obtuse obtuse and missing the point posts to make somehow defending this?

Piss off.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1754 on: February 24, 2022, 01:16:23 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 01:19:40 AM by Storr »

Well umm, I'll let the official Ukrainian government twitter account speak for itself on this one:

TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #1755 on: February 24, 2022, 01:16:39 AM »

Rest in peace.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1756 on: February 24, 2022, 01:17:13 AM »

May every Russian  Soldier who enters the Ukraine catch a bullet through the eye socket.  Every. God. Damned. One.

There, I said it.

Piss off.

In your heart, you know I’m right.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1757 on: February 24, 2022, 01:17:21 AM »

I hope Biden leads the west in doing everything we can to destroy the Russian economy.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1758 on: February 24, 2022, 01:18:26 AM »

There, I said it.

nothing wrong with saying that
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1759 on: February 24, 2022, 01:18:31 AM »

Anybody else leaning towards the concept that Russia is moving towards a full scale invasion and occupation?
Yes. Ukraine will no longer be a sovereign country from here on out. Russia will control and own it. NATO will ensure that Russia faces massive punishments for doing this, but they won't send in troops to actually stop it from happening.

So bit of devil's advocate here a bit, thinking about it from a military perspective, why hasn't Russia just gone ahead and grabbed Kharkiv yet, since after all a large majority of pop speaks Russian and is a City of 1.4 Million just a handful of Kilometers over the border with Russia?

Is it simply that this might be more of a difficult "urban combat" scenario which wouldn't fit Mr. Putin's narrative presented to his own people?

Afghanistan again proved itself to be the "Graveyard of Empires" for Russia, English, and Americans...

Iraq 2.0 showed the limit of American power to successfully occupy with overwhelming support against a determined Guerrilla Resistance.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1760 on: February 24, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1761 on: February 24, 2022, 01:19:32 AM »

There, I said it.

Piss off.

In your heart, you know I’m right.

No you are not right
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1762 on: February 24, 2022, 01:19:52 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1763 on: February 24, 2022, 01:20:23 AM »

We shouldn't want anyone to die. The best thing would be if all fighting stopped right now. It won't, and so Ukraine has to defend itself. But the whole thing is a tragedy.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1764 on: February 24, 2022, 01:21:37 AM »

Won’t Sactions just cripple the lives of everyday Russians instead of actually ending the war?
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #1765 on: February 24, 2022, 01:22:22 AM »

We shouldn't want anyone to die. The best thing would be if all fighting stopped right now. It won't, and so Ukraine has to defend itself. But the whole thing is a tragedy.
I agree that all deaths are a tragedy, and wish that this war had never started. However, let's not get it confused as to who the villain in this war is, and it sure as hell isn't Ukraine.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1766 on: February 24, 2022, 01:22:34 AM »

I guess it could work if you had a vote like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly_Resolution_2758
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1767 on: February 24, 2022, 01:23:00 AM »

Won’t Sactions just cripple the lives of everyday Russians instead of actually ending the war?

I think deterrence is part of the calculation there. Over time it might lead to Russia giving up if there is a long insurgency in Ukraine.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1768 on: February 24, 2022, 01:23:37 AM »

Heartbreaking: The worst person you know just made a great point
Moldova was part of the USSR. Unsurprisingly, Putin sees it as rightfully his. He's already done the same frozen conflict BS there that he did in Georgia and Ukraine.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1769 on: February 24, 2022, 01:23:43 AM »

There, I said it.

nothing wrong with saying that

If you really want to wish death on someone, perhaps do it upon the leader who sent the young Russian soldiers into Ukraine, not on the young soldiers themselves who are not really the ones responsible for all this, remember that they are pawns in a larger machine.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1770 on: February 24, 2022, 01:23:51 AM »

Hopefully it hurts their lives enough that they stop supporting Putin.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1771 on: February 24, 2022, 01:23:56 AM »

Yes. Ukraine will no longer be a sovereign country from here on out. Russia will control and own it. NATO will ensure that Russia faces massive punishments for doing this, but they won't send in troops to actually stop it from happening.

So bit of devil's advocate here a bit, thinking about it from a military perspective, why hasn't Russia just gone ahead and grabbed Kharkiv yet, since after all a large majority of pop speaks Russian and is a City of 1.4 Million just a handful of Kilometers over the border with Russia?

Is it simply that this might be more of a difficult "urban combat" scenario which wouldn't fit Mr. Putin's narrative presented to his own people?

Afghanistan again proved itself to be the "Graveyard of Empires" for Russia, English, and Americans...

Iraq 2.0 showed the limit of American power to successfully occupy with overwhelming support against a determined Guerrilla Resistance.
Russia has focused tonight on bigger cities and destroying the Ukrainian air force. They can worry about smaller cities later. I suppose they aren't worried about pretexts anymore. Also, I watched a Majority Report interview with a journalist who's been on the ground in the Ukraine for some time yesterday, and according to him, the political alignment of Ukrainians doesn't really correlate with language... ie, Russian-speakers are not necessarily more pro-Russia than other Ukrainians.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1772 on: February 24, 2022, 01:24:03 AM »

Huh, Ukraine might actually have something here.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1773 on: February 24, 2022, 01:24:55 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1774 on: February 24, 2022, 01:25:06 AM »

After today, I'll take that technicality if it works.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies