Pledge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:33:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Pledge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pledge  (Read 3452 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 09, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »

Sorry gang, Clinton lost any chance of having my support with her actions in the last half-week.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »

I hereby pledge to support the Democratic nominee in November, no matter who it is, unless the election is decided in advance anyways, in which case I will only support the Democratic nominee if his surname is taken from the Lucinda Williams album title "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road".

Nice typo Lewis! Obama isnt in that at all! Wink
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »

I pledge, to vote and support the candidate who appeals to my beliefs and lifestyles best, regardless of age, sex, or party.

Or race, you Bradley hating skinhead!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »

How can something appeal to your lifestyle? So if you like to drink coffee in the morning you are more likely to support a candidate that drinks coffee in the morning?

SoS,
where are the 'lies' in the first two links on your signature? It is true that Obama voted present on some abortion related bills in the Illinois Senate. It is also true that he supports lifting (not scrapping) the Social Security cap, just as claimed in the mailer. Those are legitimate policy issues that voters have the right to know about.
Its all in the wording, like "Obama wants to raise taxes on the middle class by $1,000,000,000", which is bull. The Clinton mailer about abortion had the exact same twist, painting him as a right wing crazy. Its Clintonian politics at its finest, and exactly what we're combatting.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

How can something appeal to your lifestyle? So if you like to drink coffee in the morning you are more likely to support a candidate that drinks coffee in the morning?

SoS,
where are the 'lies' in the first two links on your signature? It is true that Obama voted present on some abortion related bills in the Illinois Senate. It is also true that he supports lifting (not scrapping) the Social Security cap, just as claimed in the mailer. Those are legitimate policy issues that voters have the right to know about.
Its all in the wording, like "Obama wants to raise taxes on the middle class by $1,000,000,000", which is bull. The Clinton mailer about abortion had the exact same twist, painting him as a right wing crazy. Its Clintonian politics at its finest, and exactly what we're combatting.

You said "lies". I asked you where the lie was and now you say it's all about the wording. Surprise, surprise, campaign mailers have a bias.
I think Obama should just come back and say about the tax hike "Look, it's only for people making over $102,000 a year." If that works, good for him. If it doesn't work, then it's a good thing he's been challenged on it now and won't be flailing about in the general election to respond to the charge for the first time. Personally, I wouldn't commit to supporting such a drastic change in fiscal policy, especially since the forecasts on Social Security are still mixed.
To say that people making over $102,000 are part of the middle class is a lie. Theres no way around that.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »

SoS,

You said "lies". I asked you where the lie was and now you say it's all about the wording. Surprise, surprise, campaign mailers have a bias.
I think Obama should just come back and say about the tax hike "Look, it's only for people making over $102,000 a year." If that works, good for him. If it doesn't work, then it's a good thing he's been challenged on it now and won't be flailing about in the general election to respond to the charge for the first time. Personally, I wouldn't commit to supporting such a drastic change in fiscal policy, especially since the forecasts on Social Security are still mixed.
To say that people making over $102,000 are part of the middle class is a lie. Theres no way around that.

Yes, there is. In some places $102,000 is not really that exceptional, and families of those incomes would say they were middle class, with reason.

Also, the mailer only uses the phrase 'middle class' with when they were describing Hillary's position. 'A plan with a trillion-dollar tax increase on America's hard working families.' Biased? Yes. Hard-hitting, even negative? Sure. Don't tell me the other campaigns haven't done that too. Edwards in particular has run a very negative campaign on the Democratic side.

You said 'lie'. There was no lie. There was just something you (subjectively) disagreed with and even misread.

Claiming that a non-lie was a lie can also be a lie, you know.
Eh, Ill play your fickle game and just let you have it, although what she did was just as bad. Also, I agree that Edwards' campaign has been very disappointing in terms of its attitude towards unity, and a good, clean fight. At any rate, its exactly the kind of stuff teh next president shouldnt be doing, especially in the primary, and even more especially on top of the other things she has been up to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies