SENATE RESOLUTION: Appropriations Freedom Resolution (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:31:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: Appropriations Freedom Resolution (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: Appropriations Freedom Resolution (Debating)  (Read 2527 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »

You cannot chase a moving target. If you cut the deficit overnight the recession it causes would expand the deficit before it ever balances. Which is case in point as to why this is not about Austerity at all, it is about being responsible adults instead of classic drunken sailors.

As for paygo being irrelevant to the deficit reduction, you cannot pump out a flooded ship before you plug the leak and you cannot unplug the leak and expect to be able to bail out water faster than it comes in. Visual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6XGv8ddTI&t=102s

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »

Amendment is adopted also.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 01:53:18 AM »

I would support Tack's proposal in the AFE board thread if he were to offer such as an amendment.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »

What amendment was Tack considering?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 02:01:44 AM »

I think it was posited in the petition thread but I cannot remember off hand.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »

I think it was posited in the petition thread but I cannot remember off hand.

Maybe Atlasia should try and impose some sort of "deficit reduction rule" similar to the one the EU does irl? Where we get Paygo only if the deficit is above a certain % over GDP in the last budget? If people want a compromise that could be one I guess.

The EU rules impose certain supervision and controls on countries where the budget deficit is above 3% of GDP, which seems like a sensible rule I guess, if it's good enough for the real life EU it is good enough for me.

The last federal budget had a deficit of -562 billion dollars. Assuming GDP is the same as RL, that means the Atlasian deficit is 2.7% of GDP. So Atlasia's deficit is not that large and slightly below the warning threshold. And I trust this administration and Congress will bring it down further.

Remember, the important number to reduce is not the debt per se (though reducing that one is great). It is reducing the Debt/GDP ratio that is important.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2019, 06:49:47 AM »

Get back to us when you give us an actual proposal that will realistically do better, because factually speaking, cutting it almost in half is a pretty big deal.
All in due time

You're proposing something with no proof of a plan to ensure that responsible spending and deficit reduction will still take place without it. You realize how irresponsible this looks, right?

I can confirm that some proposals have been submitted by DC to the GM office for scoring. We are working on getting the scores together.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »

Get back to us when you give us an actual proposal that will realistically do better, because factually speaking, cutting it almost in half is a pretty big deal.
All in due time

You're proposing something with no proof of a plan to ensure that responsible spending and deficit reduction will still take place without it. You realize how irresponsible this looks, right?

I can confirm that some proposals have been submitted by DC to the GM office for scoring. We are working on getting the scores together.
Thank you. Take as much time as you need. We will be ready to submit our proposal as soon as your work is completed.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

Well, it's been almost two weeks since I sent some proposals to the GM's. I have no doubt that they're scoring my proposals as we speak and I commend them for their efforts.

However, at this time, I believe we must make a final judgement on this resolution. Therefore, I motion for a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »

Has a time table for when that will be ready been discussed with Encke or Mr. R?

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »

Has a time table for when that will be ready been discussed with Encke or Mr. R?
No time table as of yet. I suspect it won't be too much longer from now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »

A final vote has begun on this resolution. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »

Aye
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »

Aye
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »

NAY

I would have preferred to wait for the data.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2019, 02:07:59 AM »

Aye
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2019, 01:30:21 AM »

Did DC launch a coup on Yankee while I was away from the forum last night/today due to my anxiety?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:31 AM »

Did DC launch a coup on Yankee while I was away from the forum last night/today due to my anxiety?

Appears DC does not have any power, but given the motion passed anyway, NCY decided not to fret over an irrelevant technicality.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2019, 02:07:12 AM »

Appears DC does not have any power, but given the motion passed anyway, NCY decided not to fret over an irrelevant technicality.

Pulling an ASV I see Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 01:41:09 AM »

DC decide did this once or twice in the past congress. Ironically my first reaction was to make a joke about Devout being an ontario sock. Frankly my preference would be that Ontario does these when I am not on/working etc and thus to keep things official, but as long as Ontario or myself certifies the final result, it should be fine.

The one downside is that the topic line doesn't get changed and the noticeboard as well, so when Devout or Ontario start a vote, they should really PM the members because this can lead to lower turnout with the topic line/noticeboard being updated later/not at all as happened here.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2019, 01:44:15 AM »

technically time hasn't expired yet since Devout started it on Thursday at 11 AM, and wasn't able to get on after Tack voted and Ontario didn't call 24 hours for vote changes.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2019, 02:06:25 AM »

DC decide did this once or twice in the past congress. Ironically my first reaction was to make a joke about Devout being an ontario sock. Frankly my preference would be that Ontario does these when I am not on/working etc and thus to keep things official, but as long as Ontario or myself certifies the final result, it should be fine.

The one downside is that the topic line doesn't get changed and the noticeboard as well, so when Devout or Ontario start a vote, they should really PM the members because this can lead to lower turnout with the topic line/noticeboard being updated later/not at all as happened here.

I mean you can do a lot of things in Congress if no one objects lol

ASV a couple times had a tendency to open a final vote on his own despite him not being speaker when I was running the Fremont legislature largely because I interpreted it as a desire for my job of sorts. ASV to his credit seems (along with Pericles) actually improved recently.

Of course your case is different as neither Fremont Senator is coming for your job lol.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2019, 02:25:09 AM »

I mean you can do a lot of things in Congress if no one objects lol

ASV a couple times had a tendency to open a final vote on his own despite him not being speaker when I was running the Fremont legislature largely because I interpreted it as a desire for my job of sorts. ASV to his credit seems (along with Pericles) actually improved recently.

Of course your case is different as neither Fremont Senator is coming for your job lol.

I just interpret it as a desire to get things done, a desire that I share. If Devout Centrist wants to be co-deputy PPT or something, I will gladly make that happen to further that aim. For now the occasionally vote opening doesn't bother me, as long as he is PMing the members
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2019, 03:04:02 AM »

Regarding the comments above, I have been pretty much out of commission for RL research-related reasons for the past 4-ish days. I have now returned and have a bunch of stuff to do for the Lincoln budget. I will almost certainly have these estimates within the week.

I know that all of the proposals have attached cost estimates from the CBO, but I have been attempting to reproduce the CBO results from raw data when available, simply because this makes my life much easier if people decide to change certain properties of the proposals down the line in such a way that the CBO estimates are rendered unusable or unreliable (basically what I did with the estate tax estimate a while back).

I have also discovered an error in my FY2019 payroll tax analysis, an error that will (somewhat fortuitously) result in a 40-ish billion dollar reduction in the deficit. Long story short, I read the IRS definitions guide and found that I had incorrectly applied the data that I was using (correctly) to calculate income tax numbers to the payroll tax numbers, when I should have been using a different set of data entirely (the difference between the two datasets was rather subtle and I wouldn't have found the issue had I not read the IRS guide). This corrects an issue that I had previously found puzzling back in February when I did the numbers: the uncapped healthcare payroll tax had been doubled, yet was not producing double the expected revenue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies