Polish Politics and Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:42:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Polish Politics and Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polish Politics and Elections  (Read 111130 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 02, 2023, 10:17:12 AM »

What are the chances of some sort of KO/PL2050 coalition ousting PiS in the elections this year? What would the government look like, in that case?

Isn't the most likely outcome that the PiS govt just gets reelected again? Could be some Hungary 2022 redux?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 09:09:46 AM »

I'm kind of relieved this actually looks pretty good so far. Even though it's just the exit polls for now (at least not only CA is slow in counting Wink ), it seems like the opposition majority here is too wide for a significant change in the final outcome? Or is there any chance PIS could rig something? Poland is still a EU country, which seems that rigging is impossible.

Another source of concern - though Polish posters or others familar may correct me - would be President Duda. I assume he will at first call upon PIS to form a govt and then once the mandate is retured Tusk will be assigned to form a coalition. PIS with these results doesn't have a path to majority. Not even with the far-right party, which before the election ruled out joining a PIS-led govt. I'm just worried that Duda could call for a snap election after PIS fails to form a govt and they remain in power as caretaker. I assume a snap election wouldn't take place until early next year. It could still be a risk for the PIS though, since such a move could backfire.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 09:33:26 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2023, 09:49:39 AM by Sir Mohamed »

So Tusk is now certain to become PM again? The 3 parties aiming to oust PiS obtain 54% of seats now, which is an insurmountable advantage.

Kind of ironic that this would be the 2nd time Tusk ended the PiS reign, he already did so in 2007 when Kacysnki himself was his predecessor as PM.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 09:56:38 AM »

Szymon Hołownia (leader of PL2050) elected Marshal of Sejm (speaker)

Szymon Hołownia - 266 votes (KO, PL2050, PSL, New Left, Konfederacja)
Elżbieta Witek (incumbent) - 193 votes (PiS)

Why is Konferacja against PiS and also ruling out any potential coalition? They're to the right of PiS, aren't they?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 09:50:21 AM »

With Duda apparently acting as full PiS partisan hack, how likely is it that he just derails the entire agenda of the new govt? Doesn't he have veto power over bills? He could just refuse to resign every law that undoes a major PiS policy. At least until his term ends in 2025, the Tusk Admin could struggle with getting things done?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »

Donald Tusk is officially PM of Poland, PIS formally out of power:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies