United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:34:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 181748 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »

The EU will go into the same trash heap as the League of Nations.  Total failure!

Yeah, and when the League of Nations failed, everyone lived happily thereafter.

It was a failed project, which needed to be scrapped so that something better could be built in its stead.

And the world enjoyed the scrapping process immensely.

It's the end result that counts.

So, I trust, you are a firm supporter of the UN.

Yes, I am.

And, now, quickly, in a short paragraph, please tell me what exactly is the difference between LoN and the UN which makes you despise the former and adore the latter. Please no google and no wiki.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »

ITV calls it for leave. RIP UK, hello Independent Scotland and possibly united Ireland!

I'll drink to the last two!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.

Why? Both countries clearly indicated they want to be in the EU. It is England and Wales that are secessionists. Scotland and Northern Ireland just want to preserve their national loyalties.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »

https://twitter.com/ITVAllegra/status/746191648850206720

ITV is reporting that Cameron and Osborne are on their way out, and it will be a "dignified exit".

Wow.

Cameron will probably stay on as PM

Sincerely hope this does not happen. He should resign, both as the PM and as an MP.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »

Let the Scots vote on independence. But this time around it'll be proper independence, complete with euro and oil at a fraction of the price where it was 2 years ago. Last time they couldn't even get a majority for independence lite, complete w/ Queen and pound and oil at >$100.

I am pretty sure they are happy to go for euro, Schengen, and the entire thing. They might keep Elizabeth I: Englishers do not have a monopoly on her anyway.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2016, 12:07:45 AM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.

How in the world is it borderline insanity to defend keeping Scotland in the UK anymore? England is moving more and more to the right while Scotland is solidly progressive, and now England has dragged Scotland out of the EU. These countries are so overwhelmingly different and one has considerable power over the other. Scotland deserves a government that fairly represents then.

There have always been and will always be reasons in favor of Irish unification, and this is just another reason in favor. I would be surprised to see it happen, but obviously there is some significant difference of opinion between NI and England.

At the very least, one should consider changing the intra-Irish border. The one inherited from the past, clearly, as this referendum shows, is no longer tenable. Belfast and vicinity might stay English for a bit longer.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2016, 12:08:35 AM »

If Scotland wants to peace out, they should drop the queen.  They won't deserve her at that point. I would hope she would reject them.

They could take Prince William. He is a St. Andrews grad, if I remember it right.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:49 AM »

Awake already... probably head back to bed shortly but...

So is it just me or does it look like Asian heavy areas didn't vote as much in favor of Remain as one would expect. Looking at Hounslow in particular but also Harrow and Ealing and Brent to a lesser extent. Also Bradford, Leicester and Birmingham results. A breakdown of Birmingham would be nice. Is differential turnout an issue?

You are correct to observe this. And check out Luton and Slough. And Newham. And etc. Minorities in general turned out not to be a heavily Remain block at all. Suspect some Asian demos (which though?) may have been more than 50% Leave.

Well, I guess, it is not that surprising. They, actually, directly benefit fairly little from EU: if at all (at least, not in addition to the general British benefits from the union). A preferential deal with France is making things worse for Pakistan, not better.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2016, 01:27:22 AM »

Horrah Hoorah! Nationalism and Self-Determination has won out over globalist ponzi monopoly scheme and global multinational capitalism.

I suspect that Corbyn voted for leave privately.

Obviously, his support for remain felt so unnatural, you could tell from his appearances that it was forced.

Well, he may very well wind up being the one stuck with the mess.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:27 AM »

Much of the elite is feeling angry and spiteful right now.  They're lashing out.  Downgrading the UKs credit rating would be a spiteful move.

There needs to be consequences for this incompetence.

There's the spitefulness!

No spite, just facts. Your credit rating is based on your economic stability, which the voters just decided to disregard.

Indeed, thus downgrading us to the same level as economic basket cases such as the United States and New Zealand... Again, the full economic consequences of Brexit will not be known for some time, however, one thing that will hurt our economy for sure is pointless negative speculation within two hours of voting to leave the EU.

Oh Cass, I'm afraid our rating is going to play a game of how low can you go.

But is it though - we still haven't left the European Union, and are not likely to do so for quite some time, thus hopefully giving us an opportunity to renegotiate at least some of the trade deals imperilled by Brexit, and upon which certain sectors of our economy depend. I would agree, if we crashed out of the European Union instantaneously, that our economy, and thus our credit rating would be in really deep sh**t. We won't though, we will have time to negotiate some form of orderly exit. We may not get a great deal, but I doubt we'll be in a position where our government is likely to default on its debts as a result of Brexit.

I mean, the very fact that the realistic PM choice for the foreseeable future includes Boris Johnson, Corbyn and Farage, by itself, should encourage people to worry about British creditworthiness. Worry a lot.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:40 AM »

Fox News is not happy about Brexit.. Bad for US National Security!

Is it though?

Pretty bad. UK has been a key player in Western security strategy. Diminished Britain, preoccupied simultaneously with the European and Scottish divorces, with renewed Irish troubles and god knows whom in power is not going to be good for any partners, US included.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:13 AM »

LD leader has some choice words for both Cons and Labs. This may be an opening for a proper Europhile party: LD should be aggressive in the niche.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:45 AM »

One thing that would make me really enraged is if Cameron tries to stay as the PM. He himself manufactured this disaster, he should be going to Chiltern Hundreds tomorrow.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2016, 02:04:38 AM »

Some Leave politicians suggesting the Article 50 not be invoked for a while... omg was this all a scam?

The only valid excuse not to do this by, say, the end of next week, would be dissolution of the Parliament and a new election. Anything else would be a farce.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2016, 02:05:23 AM »

I can't imagine what the electoral consequences  would be.

Actually, I am pretty certain, there would be none.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2016, 02:17:23 AM »

Seems like, Cameron is doing the proper thing and resigning. Hopefully also from the Commons.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2016, 02:20:58 AM »

Cameron choosing to resign right now is irresponsible.  The country is in chaos!

The country voted itself into chaos. It is the voter choice. Not letting the country to fall into chaos would be a violation of basic democratic principles. The country will get what it chose.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:36 AM »

Cameron choosing to resign right now is irresponsible.  The country is in chaos!

The country voted itself into chaos. It is the voter choice. Not letting the country to fall into chaos would be a violation of basic democratic principles. The country will get what it chose.
Also, Cameron's incompetence during the referendum doomed any chance of him staying on afterwards. He has no moral authority.

He called this referendum. He has to go.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »

I keep thinking about the queen. During her rule she witnissed the entire process of European integration. From the EEG to the EU. And now the Brexit. What would she think now...

She's addressing the Scottish parliament next week.

They should acclaim her as a Queen of Scotland. In fact, she should be explicitly offered to move to Balmoral, or, at least, to appoint William as a resident Viceroy.

Scots should take the position that it is England that is seceding, not them.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »

I don't care why I should care about globalists finances, and their spitefulness over common people.

If you do not care, whether you eat or not, you shouldn't.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »

when ever people vote against elitists/globalists stock market collapse. stockbrokers are such a pu$$ies, imagine them at the front line... pathetic.

I mean, you must have imagined yourself at the front line. Why wouldn't you go there?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »

So, highest Remain vote shares. Places I really feel sorry for.

Gibraltar 95.9%
Lambeth 78.6%
Hackney 78.5%
Foyle 78.3%
Haringey 75.6%
City of London 75.3%
Islington 75.2%
Wandsworth 75.0%
Camden 74.9%
City of Edinburgh 74.4%
East Renfrewshire 74.3%
Belfast West 74.1%
Cambridge 73.8%
Southwark 72.8%
East Dunbartonshire 71.4%
Oxford 70.3%
Hammersmith and Fulham 70.0%
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2016, 05:10:33 PM »

The thing that really gets me is the dishonesty and fear mongering over Northern Ireland. There is absolutely not going to be border checkpoints set up. Absolutely no way. The most likely thing to happen is  there will be a passport required to travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

I don't get it. What was the point of leaving the EU if not to impose ridiculous border restrictions? Smiley

There will be border restrictions, but not between Northern Ireland and the Republic!  This has been stressed over and over again but the Bremainers willfully ignored it to stir up fear.

You have an agreement on this from the Irish?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 05:16:38 PM by ag »

The most likely thing to happen is  there will be a passport required to travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

This may be the single stupidest thing I have read on this forum all year. Good God.

No, Ive seen worse.  Maybe a passport wasnt the best idea, but there will be a way.

Either way, there won't be border controls between Ireland and NI. Guaranteed.

Guaranteed by whom?

The only way I can see how a London government can "guarantee" it at this point, is by ceding Ulster to Ireland. Anything else will require negotiating. And while I do believe that the net result will be some sort of a free travel agreement, it will not come costless. In fact, it is going to be one of the major trump cards in the hands of EU negotiators.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »

LibDems should run in the next election on Europe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies