United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:17:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177309 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: June 24, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »

Much of the elite is feeling angry and spiteful right now.  They're lashing out.  Downgrading the UKs credit rating would be a spiteful move.

There needs to be consequences for this incompetence.

There's the spitefulness!

No spite, just facts. Your credit rating is based on your economic stability, which the voters just decided to disregard.

Indeed, thus downgrading us to the same level as economic basket cases such as the United States and New Zealand... Again, the full economic consequences of Brexit will not be known for some time, however, one thing that will hurt our economy for sure is pointless negative speculation within two hours of voting to leave the EU.

Oh Cass, I'm afraid our rating is going to play a game of how low can you go.

But is it though - we still haven't left the European Union, and are not likely to do so for quite some time, thus hopefully giving us an opportunity to renegotiate at least some of the trade deals imperilled by Brexit, and upon which certain sectors of our economy depend. I would agree, if we crashed out of the European Union instantaneously, that our economy, and thus our credit rating would be in really deep sh**t. We won't though, we will have time to negotiate some form of orderly exit. We may not get a great deal, but I doubt we'll be in a position where our government is likely to default on its debts as a result of Brexit.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1651 on: June 24, 2016, 01:33:36 AM »

"We've done it without a bullet being fired." – Nigel Farage

Shocked
dax00

« Reply #1652 on: June 24, 2016, 01:36:21 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 01:41:12 AM by Foul, and a miss - Ali Carter 4 »

Whoever bought GBP when I said (2 hours ago) it would be a great day to buy would be making a lot of money right now.

My gut tells me in 40-ish minutes time, GBP will dip again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1653 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:20 AM »

Funny how Shetland and Eilean were the 2 places to vote against the EU in 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1654 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:27 AM »

Much of the elite is feeling angry and spiteful right now.  They're lashing out.  Downgrading the UKs credit rating would be a spiteful move.

There needs to be consequences for this incompetence.

There's the spitefulness!

No spite, just facts. Your credit rating is based on your economic stability, which the voters just decided to disregard.

Indeed, thus downgrading us to the same level as economic basket cases such as the United States and New Zealand... Again, the full economic consequences of Brexit will not be known for some time, however, one thing that will hurt our economy for sure is pointless negative speculation within two hours of voting to leave the EU.

Oh Cass, I'm afraid our rating is going to play a game of how low can you go.

But is it though - we still haven't left the European Union, and are not likely to do so for quite some time, thus hopefully giving us an opportunity to renegotiate at least some of the trade deals imperilled by Brexit, and upon which certain sectors of our economy depend. I would agree, if we crashed out of the European Union instantaneously, that our economy, and thus our credit rating would be in really deep sh**t. We won't though, we will have time to negotiate some form of orderly exit. We may not get a great deal, but I doubt we'll be in a position where our government is likely to default on its debts as a result of Brexit.

I mean, the very fact that the realistic PM choice for the foreseeable future includes Boris Johnson, Corbyn and Farage, by itself, should encourage people to worry about British creditworthiness. Worry a lot.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1655 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:43 AM »

My rationale for thinking MPs might not vote to leave the EU is predicated on two main factors.
1) The Tories being as disunited as they are seem unlikely to all vote for leaving.
2) A solid majority of opposition MPs might not support leaving, not wanting to open Pandora's box,and being more able to reject the referendum than the Tories, since they little role in the referendum.
These two factors taken together could result in a Commons vote initiating EU withdrawal to fail.
I could be wrong.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1656 on: June 24, 2016, 01:44:57 AM »

I mean, the very fact that the realistic PM choice for the foreseeable future includes Boris Johnson, Corbyn and Farage, by itself, should encourage people to worry about British creditworthiness. Worry a lot.

Farage is not now and never will be a realistic PM prospect even if you define realistic very generously.

John McDonnell might be. Not that I think you'd prefer that...
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1657 on: June 24, 2016, 01:49:59 AM »

I'm very disappointed, and rather concerned about what happens next.

It looks like there was a very strong correlation between "marginalisation" and Leave in England and Wales, with the noticeable exception of Liverpool.  Sheffield must have been very, very polarised, based on what I could tell of what was going on in the inner west.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1658 on: June 24, 2016, 01:50:36 AM »

Fox News is not happy about Brexit.. Bad for US National Security!

Is it though?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1659 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:40 AM »

Fox News is not happy about Brexit.. Bad for US National Security!

Is it though?

Pretty bad. UK has been a key player in Western security strategy. Diminished Britain, preoccupied simultaneously with the European and Scottish divorces, with renewed Irish troubles and god knows whom in power is not going to be good for any partners, US included.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1660 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:28 AM »

Also, what is wrong with our polling industry?

It seems the privately commissioned exit polls (as well as the other polls released on the day) were the cause of some of the pre-Newcastle/Sunderland optimism for Remain, so they weren't up to much either.

The demographic model the BBC were using had its faults, but correctly indicated that those early results were bad news.  Could John Curtice and team have carried out a proper exit poll if given the resources to do so?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1661 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:13 AM »

LD leader has some choice words for both Cons and Labs. This may be an opening for a proper Europhile party: LD should be aggressive in the niche.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1662 on: June 24, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »

Some Leave politicians suggesting the Article 50 not be invoked for a while... omg was this all a scam?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1663 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:45 AM »

One thing that would make me really enraged is if Cameron tries to stay as the PM. He himself manufactured this disaster, he should be going to Chiltern Hundreds tomorrow.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1664 on: June 24, 2016, 02:01:21 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 02:03:49 AM by Brown Line »

Some Leave politicians suggesting the Article 50 not be invoked for a while... omg was this all a scam?

If it was, you might as well take the entire British political system and flip it upside down.  I can't imagine what the electoral consequences  would be.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1665 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:29 AM »

Hopefully Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1666 on: June 24, 2016, 02:04:38 AM »

The only valid excuse not to do this by, say, the end of next week, would be dissolution of the Parliament and a new election. Anything else would be a farce.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1667 on: June 24, 2016, 02:05:23 AM »

I can't imagine what the electoral consequences  would be.

Actually, I am pretty certain, there would be none.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #1668 on: June 24, 2016, 02:08:47 AM »

My rationale for thinking MPs might not vote to leave the EU is predicated on two main factors.
1) The Tories being as disunited as they are seem unlikely to all vote for leaving.
2) A solid majority of opposition MPs might not support leaving, not wanting to open Pandora's box,and being more able to reject the referendum than the Tories, since they little role in the referendum.
These two factors taken together could result in a Commons vote initiating EU withdrawal to fail.
I could be wrong.

Really can't see how they can have a referendum billed as the most important vote in a generation and then go "whatever...we'll just stay in."
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1669 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »

I could be wrong.

Really can't see how they can have a referendum billed as the most important vote in a generation and then go "whatever...we'll just stay in."
It wasn't binding. Also the opposition, especially Labour, was little involved. Safeguards need to be present from stopping someone like David Cameron from ruining the economy in this fashion, with his utter incompetence. This was a vote of humongous importance.
However it appears that scenario is not coming to pass.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #1670 on: June 24, 2016, 02:15:48 AM »

Rumor has it Dave will step down.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #1671 on: June 24, 2016, 02:16:46 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 02:18:18 AM by Beezer »

I could be wrong.

It wasn't binding. Also the opposition, especially Labour, was little involved. Safeguards need to be present from stopping someone like David Cameron from ruining the economy in this fashion, with his utter incompetence. This was a vote of humongous importance.

Point is that there would be a huge outcry if parliament now turned around and disregarded the verdict, regardless of whether it was binding or not.

I also don't buy the narrative that Cameron has ruined anything. He ran on a platform promising a referendum. This arguably got him elected. He then asked the British people for their decision on EU membership. What you are essentially calling for is the suspension of democracy whenever a political leader acts in contravention to your own preferences.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1672 on: June 24, 2016, 02:17:23 AM »

Seems like, Cameron is doing the proper thing and resigning. Hopefully also from the Commons.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1673 on: June 24, 2016, 02:18:46 AM »

I could be wrong.

Point is that there would be a huge outcry if parliament now turned around and disregarded the verdict, regardless of whether it was binding or not.
Perhaps. But it might not amount to much in the long run,which usually matters much more than short.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1674 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »

Cameron choosing to resign right now is irresponsible.  The country is in chaos!
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies