I was in the belly of the beast yesterday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I was in the belly of the beast yesterday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I was in the belly of the beast yesterday  (Read 865 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 06:26:41 PM »

Come to Jackson county TN you might just pass out.
I once rented a car with a TN license plate, and since TN is a state that has the county names on it too I remember the county: Cumberland.

I was pissed off. Here I am driving a non-liberal car from a county Trump win by almost 60 points. What if people on the road who saw me think I voted for Trump?!

Cumberland county is close to here, for some reason a lot of my frat brothers are from Cumberland county, including my best friend (after my fiancee) who is literally a Hispanic woman and even she's super conservative.

You really don't find a lot of liberals around here.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »

disappointed, thought this would be about your trip to the vore convention
Would an Ingress anomaly be comparable?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2019, 10:54:50 PM by Badger »

When I was driving back home, I decided to make a stop to hit as many Ingress portals as possible in whatever city it'd be easiest for. But the city this applied to I hadn't been to before...Waukesha, WI.

It felt dirty, but I decided my unique portal visit count was too important. My first stop though was a brief one in Brookfield...which surprised me in that it seemed to be just generic strip malls and fast food chain places. Nothing interesting, but nothing that jumped out as horrifyingly right wing, or frankly much different than D-leaning suburbs like Eagan, MN or various ones near Chicago. After a brief stop there and taking a few portals I headed out to the main target. So...I pulled off the interstate and stopped there and headed to the area around the library and city hall. As I browsed around the whole area I was surprised at how non-shockingly open right wing it was. I was expecting something akin to the inverse of the All Liberal All The Time culture you get flooded with stepping into Minneapolis. Still I could feel the non-liberalism and it felt yucky by the time I got out. Worst of all, I ran out of water, and was still thirsty, so I had to stop at a gas station and actually buy something there!

Oh the shocking thing, I found this there. HOW THE HELL IS THIS SOLD IN WAUKESHA COUNTY WHEN IT'S NOT EVEN SOLD IN MINNEAPOLIS.

It was alright, but not worth the almost $10 cost FYI.

Anyway after I got the portals and some restocking farm I headed out of there FAST. I breathed a huge sigh once I saw the sign entering Dane County, and felt purified and cleansed once I had returned to an actual progressive and human place, not a backwards land of Trump.

What, may I ask, was so overtly non-liberal about the place?
Uh, WAUKESHA COUNTY, WI.

Okay, I get that. Though I would note that it is not even the most conservative County even in southeast Wisconsin.

What I mean is, what was so overwhelmingly anti-liberal about walking around there? I mean, if you were suddenly memory wiped of the previous few hours and didn't know where you were, and let's say an optometrist just put drops in your eyes so you couldn't read any newspapers or signs telling you your location, what was so obviously conservative about the place from just walking around? I mean, I get that it probably didn't radiate the same Vibe as Minneapolis or St Paul. However, Red, I'm getting the impression that the most conservative a thing about the town's appearance is simply you knew it was Waukesha, and little more.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 10:55:56 PM »

When I was driving back home, I decided to make a stop to hit as many Ingress portals as possible in whatever city it'd be easiest for. But the city this applied to I hadn't been to before...Waukesha, WI.

It felt dirty, but I decided my unique portal visit count was too important. My first stop though was a brief one in Brookfield...which surprised me in that it seemed to be just generic strip malls and fast food chain places. Nothing interesting, but nothing that jumped out as horrifyingly right wing, or frankly much different than D-leaning suburbs like Eagan, MN or various ones near Chicago. After a brief stop there and taking a few portals I headed out to the main target. So...I pulled off the interstate and stopped there and headed to the area around the library and city hall. As I browsed around the whole area I was surprised at how non-shockingly open right wing it was. I was expecting something akin to the inverse of the All Liberal All The Time culture you get flooded with stepping into Minneapolis. Still I could feel the non-liberalism and it felt yucky by the time I got out. Worst of all, I ran out of water, and was still thirsty, so I had to stop at a gas station and actually buy something there!

Oh the shocking thing, I found this there. HOW THE HELL IS THIS SOLD IN WAUKESHA COUNTY WHEN IT'S NOT EVEN SOLD IN MINNEAPOLIS.

Anyway after I got the portals and some restocking farm I headed out of there FAST. I breathed a huge sigh once I saw the sign entering Dane County, and felt purified and cleansed once I had returned to an actual progressive and human place, not a backwards land of Trump.

Uh, WAUKESHA COUNTY, WI.

Okay, I get that. Though I would note that it is not even the most conservative County even in southeast Wisconsin.

What I mean is, what was so overwhelmingly anti-liberal about walking around there? I mean, if you were suddenly memory wiped of the previous you hours and didn't know where you were, and let's say an optometrist just put drops in your eyes so you couldn't read any newspapers or signs telling you your location, what was so obviously conservative about the place just walking around? I mean, I get that it probably didn't radiate the same Vibe as Minneapolis or St Paul. However, red, I'm getting the impression that the most conservative a thing about the town's appearance is simply knew it was Waukesha and little more.
There was something very very Gilded Age about the layout. Lots if McMansions and trashy small homes just north of the center including this sh!thole gas station where the proles live. I didn't get that vibe in uber-liberal Evanston.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 11:29:09 PM »

Uh, WAUKESHA COUNTY, WI.

What I mean is, what was so overwhelmingly anti-liberal about walking around there? I mean, if you were suddenly memory wiped of the previous you hours and didn't know where you were, and let's say an optometrist just put drops in your eyes so you couldn't read any newspapers or signs telling you your location, what was so obviously conservative about the place just walking around? I mean, I get that it probably didn't radiate the same Vibe as Minneapolis or St Paul. However, red, I'm getting the impression that the most conservative a thing about the town's appearance is simply knew it was Waukesha and little more.
There was something very very Gilded Age about the layout. Lots if McMansions and trashy small homes just north of the center including this sh!thole gas station where the proles live. I didn't get that vibe in uber-liberal Evanston.

"Trashy homes"? Oh b r t d, how terribly classist, some might even say (gasp!) " unliberal" of you! Grin
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 12:15:22 AM »

BRTD, shouldn't you abandon your car and bike or take public transit around Minneapolis instead? Cars are bad for the environment and are for conservative suburbanites. The most dedicated urbanites would rather be dead than drive a car.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 12:56:37 AM »

BRTD, shouldn't you abandon your car and bike or take public transit around Minneapolis instead? Cars are bad for the environment and are for conservative suburbanites. The most dedicated urbanites would rather be dead than drive a car.
One of the few bad things about my cushy and highly overpaid job is it's in Eagan.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »

On a side note coming from someone who has ZERO problem with living in a place with politics well to the left of mine (currently live in Iowa City and moving to Chicago August 1st), I have got to say that Evanston was one of the more overrated places I have ever been ... so talked up and just "meh."  For a college town, give me Madison, Iowa City, Champaign, etc. any day of the week.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 05:45:48 PM »

On a side note coming from someone who has ZERO problem with living in a place with politics well to the left of mine
You'd hate it where I live. Imagine seeing anti-Republican signs in local business windows.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:10 PM »

On a side note coming from someone who has ZERO problem with living in a place with politics well to the left of mine
You'd hate it where I live. Imagine seeing anti-Republican signs in local business windows.

A restaurant I frequent down the street (Stella) literally tried to charge Trump supporters $10 to get in shortly after the 2016 election.  Thankfully, though one of the most liberal places you can be, even Iowa City saw this is a close-minded, petty thing to do.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies