Most likely openly gay Republican nominee in 2024 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:09:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most likely openly gay Republican nominee in 2024 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most likely openly gay Republican nominee in 2024  (Read 2991 times)
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »

I know, I know, it won't happen. But if it were it happen: who would it be? Who, among the multitude of openly gay Republicans, has the best shot at winning the nomination in four years?
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »

This is the correct answer.  Assuming there's not citizenship issues, I think Thiel would be one of the best possible "non-politicians" who could be nominated by the GOP for several decades

Probably someone who has yet to come out.

Jason Smith, congressman from Missouri?  He's definitely fruity.  I doubt a SeMo congressman would every willingly come out, though   

Thiel is not a natural-born citizen.
There's an interesting theory that the natural-born citizen clause was implicitly repealed by the Fifth and/or Fourteenth Amendments, since courts have held the equal protection clause protects naturalized U.S. citizens from federal discrimination based on national origin.

Even if we didn't want to go that far, it seems reasonable to suggest that Congress could allow naturalized citizens to run for president by simple statute thanks to the 14th Amendment's Enforcement Clause.

And then, of course, the ultimate backstop would be that the Supreme Court is not ever going to invalidate the election of Peter Thiel (or some other naturalized citizen) if he managed to get on enough state ballots and win enough votes to actually be elected president.  At that point, it's somewhat of a nonjusticiable political question the court wouldn't want to wade into.
I don't think either major party would be willing to nominate someone to a presidential ticket without absolute certainty that they would be eligible to assume their seat should they win.

I wonder when this issue would be kicked up to the Supreme Court. I'd assume it'd be when it comes to putting the name on ballots, and that'd happen during the primaries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies