2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:30:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan  (Read 42210 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 14, 2021, 07:44:18 PM »

If the new MI-3 becomes Dem leaning and the MAGA mob remains relentless, Meijer might be smart to seriously consider switching parties. His record is thin enough he could make it work.

Agreed.  He and that area both seem to fit more with the Dems long term trajectory than the GOP as long as they are on the Trump train.

I think he is fairly conservative. Just not a Trump/MAGA cultist.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »

I'm surprised the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo district made it.  The other two maps are pretty normal really.  

They made Kildee's seat Biden+2 and the Lansing district close to 50/50 in all three maps.

The Birch map is probably the best for Democrats long-term as Grand Rapids and Upton's district are both trending D overall, so potentially up to 9 districts total.  For 2022 the best map for D's is the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo "Apple" map.

I would have to imagine the MIGOP is rooting for the Chestnut map.

TBH, I feel like Meijer is someone who could become entrenched and be a consistent overperformer a la Fitzpatrick or Katko.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 07:19:21 PM »

I'm happy Meijer is showing some courage and sticking with his district. It's pretty close to a tossup even with it's adjustment left. Meijer should hypothetically be able to develop unique strength in his district. He's very moderate and carries the name of an iconic locally based business. I could see him keeping the district at least until the next blue wave and maybe even past that.

His 2020 performance was underwhelming, however. To do only +2 over Trump, who is an atrocious fit for the district, may signal that he is not very respected. Perhaps he's just viewed as a rich kid. Can someone from Western Michigan comment?

Meijer isn't that strong. He underran John James by like 3 points.

Was Hillary Scholten a good candidate? Meijer really should have done better given that he is a Meijer and the area's love of Republicans down ballot.

Turns out he just isn't a very good candidate.

Paging MT Treasurer.

I feel like he's actually a better candidate now than he was in 2020. He has the experience of running in a tough race and he's started to carve out a distinctive brand, while he was previously somewhat of a Generic R.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies