19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:19:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 19-year-old Fmr. Candidate for KS Governor may have just won a State House seat  (Read 20134 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: August 06, 2020, 11:27:12 AM »

Also of note: If he does win, I believe that makes him the first officeholder to be born in the 21st century.

True, I think the current 'youngest elected official in America' is a member of a ME Town Council who was born in 2000.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »

This race isn't over yet, as the vote canvas (which will rule on any provisional ballots) takes place on Monday.

That being said, talk of the Speaker not allowing Coleman to be seated if he wins is honestly a bit much. The power to expel ought not be expansive enough to empower the State House to simply disregard the will of Coleman's electorate, however distasteful the State House may find his previous conduct, because Coleman's constituents still chose to elect him despite knowing about his actions. The State House needs to respect that if they respect, y'know, the idea of democracy.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 12:09:34 PM »

Wouldn't this have came up in a criminal record check?
Even if juvenile records weren't sealed, I don't think the victims ever went to the police.

https://www.kshb.com/news/election-2020/wyandotte-county-election-board-certifies-win-for-19-year-old

He has officially won by 14 votes. the incumbent said he will pursue a recount and is considering a write in campaign in the fall.
It looks the the incumbent is running a write in-campaign, but Republicans are also running a write-in campaign. Hopefully the political leaders there can salvage this, but one guy on the ballot facing divided opposition is gonna have good odds in November.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article245042675.html

Per Daily Kos, Romney and Trump got 37% and 40% in this district respectively. Could the Republican have a shot due to vote-splitting on the Democratic side?

Depends on how many Republicans partake in the write-in. If they have the efficacy of 2010 Lisa Murkowski, then anything's possible.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »

If Republicans had bothered to put someone on the ballot here, they could have won, especially if Frownfelter pursues the write-in campaign. As it stands, I doubt they have much chance.

What do you think happens in the likely scenario of this kid (D) vs. Frownfelter & some rando GOP-er as write-in options?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 10:22:17 PM »

God I'm just disgusted at all the people here either defending this monster or saying this doesn't matter.  Do you realise how creepy and weird you guys are looking defending this.

I agree, but I also think democracy is important.

Democracy includes the state party making people aware of who they nominated and that they have an alternative.

Party primaries are treated as more sacred than they should be, given how under-attended they usually are.
I dont care how unattended they are. He lost fair and square and a court should step in and order him to cease his write in campaign. Do you think the democrats deserve to be able to bail themselves out by cheating instead of doing the right thing and supporting the GOP candidate who didnt lose their primary.

Sore-loser laws evidently aren't a thing in Kansas, so you're literally advocating for judicial lawmaking.

Hopefully the GOP hack attorney general will threaten to press charges if Frowncheater goes forward with this.

Now you're literally advocating for locking somebody up on false charges. Write-in campaigns aren't "cheating," let alone against the law. Get a f**king grip.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 02:06:39 AM »

@tmthforu94: so what happens now? Does the KS Democratic Party's state executive committee nominate Frownfelter? Or does KS law provide for a different process re: filling a vacant nomination?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »

Fingers crossed that Frownfelter is able to mount a successful write-in campaign & trounce this toxic douche.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »

Fingers crossed that Frownfelter is able to mount a successful write-in campaign & trounce this toxic douche.

Wouldn't it be better to have someone else run a write-in campaign who hadn't already lost a primary to this guy?

Would it hypothetically be better? Sure. Does there seem to be a chance of that happening? Evidently not, no.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 08:46:08 PM »

He's awful, but if the voters elect him anyway knowing all this, the legislature should seat him. The people have the right to be represented by any eligible citizen they choose, not necessarily someone acceptable to other legislators.

It would be one thing if this all came out after Election Day. But the voters have the full information and their decision should be respected.
No, if he wins the voters should be ignored and him not be seated. 

Because f**k democracy, amirite?

(/s if it wasn't painfully obvious)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 09:06:47 PM »

Explosion should only be done for events that happen in the middle of a term. If this POS is elected he still should be seated.

This. Again, if this information had emerged after his election, then it would've been fair game. But now that it's all out & in the open, if the people still choose to elect him, then their decision should be respected if we still claim to respect, y'know, the idea of democracy.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »

You mean to tell me that somebody who did awful things in the past & who doesn't take ownership of those actions today continued to do more awful things for all that time in between?

Truly surprising.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »

The incumbent who lost the primary is running a write-in campaign, it's just a matter of whether or not it'll be successful at this point.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »

What the f**k
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »

I wish I had better news, but I don't. At this point, I think Coleman is still the favorite. Just from what I've seen on the ground. There are quite a bit of Coleman signs across the district. He is treating the campaign like a full time job and is reportedly spending 50 hours a week knocking on doors. I haven't seen nearly as much activity from the incumbent or the GOP write-in, and a strong grassroots campaign is necessary in order to win a write-in race.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 08:07:00 PM »

F**king Republicans, I guarantee you that the only reason that they're refusing to expel him is because they'd rather continue to see him be a pain in the ass for Kansas Democrats these next 2 years.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 08:21:46 PM »

Across the country, is there anyone in public office who is as bad a person as Coleman? I honestly can't think of one. Not even MTG.

I mean, Lauren Boebert may have collaborated in an attempt on the lives of Congress and the Vice President, but it's definitely a short list.

Potentially Andy Biggs, too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies