Mideast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:31:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 256008 times)
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« on: March 30, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »

I have a proposal for a basic idea for an act the we might want to enact. I believe that we are overextending ourselves to criminals and not providing enough help for the victims of a crime. In the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is littered with protection for the accused. We must extend the same courtesy to those who are victimized. Normally, people do not receive government support when they are robbed and/or physically assaulted, even after the attacker is put in jail. We should extend a plan to help the victimized.
Normally, I do not encourage the enlargement of the government, but in this case, I feel for the people who have been victimized, and I want to put into effect a bill that provides states support for those families who have been victimized within the state's jurisdiction.
persepolis

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »

I have a proposal for a basic idea for an act the we might want to enact. I believe that we are overextending ourselves to criminals and not providing enough help for the victims of a crime. In the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is littered with protection for the accused. We must extend the same courtesy to those who are victimized. Normally, people do not receive government support when they are robbed and/or physically assaulted, even after the attacker is put in jail. We should extend a plan to help the victimized.
Normally, I do not encourage the enlargement of the government, but in this case, I feel for the people who have been victimized, and I want to put into effect a bill that provides states support for those families who have been victimized within the state's jurisdiction.

What type of help are you talking about?

Monetary help to cover for damage to their lives and possessions.
persepolis

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »

That's exactly the scheme that I work for. Unfortunately as a civil servant I genuinely have to be careful of my position on public forums, so I may not be able to contribute much in public to this idea other than give general guidance on what our scheme does and who it awards monies too which is public domain.

Of course. Do I have enougfh support for this idea at this stage for it to be presented to the people of the Mideast as a formal bill?
persepolis

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »

That's exactly the scheme that I work for. Unfortunately as a civil servant I genuinely have to be careful of my position on public forums, so I may not be able to contribute much in public to this idea other than give general guidance on what our scheme does and who it awards monies too which is public domain.

Of course. Do I have enougfh support for this idea at this stage for it to be presented to the people of the Mideast as a formal bill?

If you want to write something up I'd be happy to bring it forward and work on it with the Assembly.

Section 1
Should a person be found guilty of a crime, victims of said crime shall be compensated by the proper tier of regional government.
Section 2
Victims will be compensated for:
     1. Loss of life of a member of the immediate family.
     2. Medical treatment/rehabilitation.
     3. Loss of material possessions. Value of said possessions will be evaluated by either the victim's insurance provider, or, if inapplicable, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
Section 3
The aforementioned proper tier of the government is defined as the jurisdiction of the court in which the decision of the innocence of the suspect is decided. The body of government that pertains to the jurisdiction of said court will cover the expenses of these processes.
persepolis

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »

Clause 3 - what if nobody is ever found guilty of the crime? This is especially true if, for example, a bank robber kills an innocent bystander before being killed by a SWAT team himself. Nobody will ever be sentenced, but there is doubtless a case for compensation under the spirit of this act.

I would have to recommend that compensation is determined by some tribunal, part of whose remit it is to determine that the injury is the result of some crime.

True. That situation never struck me.

I will bring the bill proposed by Persepolis to the floor for debate.

Is Section 3 saying that the judiciary should pay for the reimbursements? We can just put it on the regional tab. We should also find some way to pay for it. Citizens should all contribute to the safety and protection of the entire region. Perhaps an increase of the sales tax (what is the current sales tax? I can't seem to find it) on guns from its current level to 15%.

You could increase the sales tax on guns by 10% and cut the money we give to prison by half.

Cutting prison funding would only hurt us in the long run. Prisons need proper funding to function, to properly imprison inmates, etc.

Actually, I would much rather cut prison funding than raise taxes. In fact, to raise money, I suggest we cut prison spending by 25%. Right now, in the US anyway, $60,000 is spent per inmate. Instead of providing such monetary support for criminals, it would be much wiser to spend that money toward helping the victims of a crime.

I agree with all the changes that have been made to the bill so far.
persepolis

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:12:31 PM »

I don't understand the purpose of this.  Why wouldn't we just settle compensation stuff like this in civil court, where the victim takes the guilty party to court for a civil case.

I just don't see the need to spend government money on this, unless we set up a government system as compensation of last resort.

That's why we have a clause indicating that if claims can be obtained in another way that must happen first. I am actually wondering what case could not be taken to civil court that this would cover? Could anyone explain this?

Oftentimes, people who suffer the injuries of the crime are not necessarily covered under the strictest form of the law. Very often, a criminal is not taken to civil court because the charges are too trivial, or the courts want to avoid double jeopardy. The victims go uncompensated, and the felons go to jail. The government just sits there.
persepolis

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »

Updated version:

The Mideast Victim Compensation Act

1. Any person victim of a crime committed in the Mideast shall be compensated by the regional Government under the conditions set forth by this Act.
2. Victims will be compensated for:
     a. Loss of life of a member of the immediate family.
     b. Approved medical treatment/rehabilitation for a period not exceeding two years from the beginning of treatment.
     c. Loss of material possessions, the value of which shall be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
3. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.
4. Compensation shall be determined by an independent council of three justices, who shall judge the nature of the crime, whether all other plausible alternatives have been attempted and what amount shall be paid to the victim. This amount shall be calculated as the amount determined less amounts already received through alternative means.

That's good. We probably need to agree on our economic plan to make it legitimate. I say, as I have said before, no new taxes. We cut prison spending to meet the shortfall. In fact, we should cut the prison spending of the criminal who caused this monetary damage in th first place.
persepolis

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »

Updated version:

1. Any person victim of a crime committed in the Mideast shall be compensated by the regional Government under the conditions set forth by this Act.
     b. Approved medical treatment/rehabilitation for a period not exceeding two years from the beginning of treatment.
     c. Loss of material possessions, the value of which shall be evaluated by the victim's insurance provider or, if none is provided, an independent insurance company employed by the region.
3. No person shall be reimbursed by the region if there exists a plausible alternative method to receive compensation for the crime.
4. Compensation shall be determined by an independent council of three justices, who shall judge the nature of the crime, whether all other plausible alternatives have been attempted and what amount shall be paid to the victim. This amount shall be calculated as the amount determined less amounts already received through alternative means.

That's good. We probably need to agree on our economic plan to make it legitimate. I say, as I have said before, no new taxes. We cut prison spending to meet the shortfall. In fact, we should cut the prison spending of the criminal who caused this monetary damage in th first place.

The problem is prison spending isn't laid out per prisoner. It goes to the prison to function. Cutting prison funding really hurts the prison more, decreasing guards or guard pay, which increases the likelihood of escape.

Decrease prisoner services, not guard pay. Lower library visits. Some correctional facilities have a bookmobile come weekly. It will save the city money and the prison money to discontinue this service. Obviously, I don't know all the services prisoners get, but we should cut it to the bare minimum.
persepolis

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »

Updated version:

The problem is prison spending isn't laid out per prisoner. It goes to the prison to function. Cutting prison funding really hurts the prison more, decreasing guards or guard pay, which increases the likelihood of escape.

Decrease prisoner services, not guard pay. Lower library visits. Some correctional facilities have a bookmobile come weekly. It will save the city money and the prison money to discontinue this service. Obviously, I don't know all the services prisoners get, but we should cut it to the bare minimum.

I believe it would have to be both decrease in prison spending and raise taxes on gun sales. Prison do need money to keep everything running right and I am don't want any law suit against the government over how well the prison are ran.

A lawsuit from who? A felon? I want more rights after I killed that lady!
persepolis

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »

Updated version:

I believe it would have to be both decrease in prison spending and raise taxes on gun sales. Prison do need money to keep everything running right and I am don't want any law suit against the government over how well the prison are ran.

A lawsuit from who? A felon? I want more rights after I killed that lady!

A civil lawsuit against the government, if we don't keep the prison up to par. Also just because they are a felon doesn't mean they don't have rights.  I don't think prison should be like a Holiday Inn, but it shouldn't be like Gitmo. We have to put a good amount of money into them to keep them to par.

Of course. However, we are still overpending on prisons. As I said, I am not an expert on prison, but I know that there are some extraneous programs that need to be cut out.
persepolis

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Of course, I agree with you, but we need to be careful of what we cut. Anyways, it isn't up to you or I it is in the hands of the Assembly.

Yeah. Mayb we should include a clause about funding....
persepolis

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

I don't understand the purpose of this.  Why wouldn't we just settle compensation stuff like this in civil court, where the victim takes the guilty party to court for a civil case.

I just don't see the need to spend government money on this, unless we set up a government system as compensation of last resort.

That's why we have a clause indicating that if claims can be obtained in another way that must happen first. I am actually wondering what case could not be taken to civil court that this would cover? Could anyone explain this?

Oftentimes, people who suffer the injuries of the crime are not necessarily covered under the strictest form of the law. Very often, a criminal is not taken to civil court because the charges are too trivial, or the courts want to avoid double jeopardy. The victims go uncompensated, and the felons go to jail. The government just sits there.

Double jeopardy never applies to a criminal and then civil court (not important to the law, just thought I'd mention it).

Oh, whoops.
persepolis

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 12:47:41 AM »

Okay, let's finish this.

5. Compensation shall be paid for by a 1% sales tax increase on gun purchases.

Tax increase? Especially on guns? That basically violates the right to bear arms.
persepolis

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

I know it doesn't violate the right to bear arms. I said it basically does. But that doesn't matter. The point I was trying to make is that guns are a basic tool of protection for civilians. Taxing that is immoral.
persepolis

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

I know it doesn't violate the right to bear arms. I said it basically does. But that doesn't matter. The point I was trying to make is that guns are a basic tool of protection for civilians. Taxing that is immoral.

Not really, but this isn't the place to debate that, right now anyways.

I say we find another way to get sufficient funds for this project then. Taxes are not the way to go.
persepolis

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »

Well, I am glad that bill passed anyway, even if I disapprove of where the funds are coming from. This bill is something I strongly wanted to get through, so that was first priority, not the funding for it.
persepolis

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »

I think that the time has come to change the region's capital.  College Park seems like a small and arbitry choice.  I would propose some place in the center of our region such as Columbus or Indianapolis.

I had actually just been thinking about this, especially how tucked away the capital is. How about we give each incoming Governor the right to move the capital wherever he so chooses. This can only be done once by each non-incumbent Governor. Or we could setup a roaming thing where it changes each month or each gubernatorial election cycle.
Wouldn't that incur massive amount of debt from constantly moving your capitol, the people stationed there, and all the buildings?

The cool thing is the fact that this is a sim and that doesn't matter.
persepolis

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »

I am fairly sure I can speak for both Dan and I when I say we are honored to be so appreciated within the Mideast and we will certainly look to all of you, who so graciously offered us help, when we need some.
persepolis

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »

I would like fore Peter to be the Speaker.

I second that, as long as Peter wants to be speaker. He is the obvious choice, since he is the only assemblymember with any experience.
persepolis

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »

I am absolutely opposed to removing a person from office for such an infraction, but I have no problem with the original bill.
persepolis

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 01:38:25 AM »

Just to weigh in on the Constitutionality of all of this.  It would require an amendment if you wanted an automatic recall; however, if you simply remove the person from office, you could argue that it falls under the "judge the qualifications" clause of the powers of the Assembly.

I still think it goes against the spirit of the Constitution and the spirit of the position. We, as assemblymembers, will get around to voting, but setting a time limit constrains the process.
persepolis

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

I think the idea is worth looking at and could be developed, with some added nuance, to a workable piece; however, I would recommend that be done after more substantive legislation is passed.

I would recommend implementation of a regional workers' rights policy. That is something I am currently working on developing for the Senate.

Well, if it passes in the Senate, we would obviously not need to pass it here. Maybe we should wait for that bill to pass or fail in Senate, and then work on it here if it fails. There is no need to pass a bill regionally that the national government passes.
I suggest we begin work on a bill that bans abortion in the Mideast.
persepolis

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »

Mideast Abortion Law

1. All forms of abortion are banned in the Mideast.
     i. Abortion is defined as the premature termination of a pregnancy not due to a risk that could cause serious damage to the mother or the fetus.
persepolis

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:35 PM »

Mideast Abortion Law

i. Abortion is defined as the premature termination of a pregnancy not due to a risk that could cause serious damage to the mother or the fetus.

Just a note - you should probably change that to have some sort of medical terminology, otherwise an accidental termination (miscarriage) would be illegal.

Also, what would the punishment for abortion be?

Both things you just mentioned are tings that crossed my mind when writing it. I thought I could get some help on those parts because I have no idea what a sufficient punishment would be for abortion.

Rewritten:
     i. Abortion is defined as the premature and intentional termination of a pregnancy not due to a risk that could cause serious damage to the mother or the fetus.
2. The punisment for committing said crime would be (Huh)
persepolis

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »

As a citizen of the Mideast, I cannot support the measure banning abortion currently on the table. It is far too broad and sweeping, completely abolishing a woman's right to choose.

There are certain choices people cannot have. We do not have the right to choose whether or not we kill someone. Abortion is akin to that. Women should not have the right to take someone's life.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies