How would you vote on Merrick Garland's nomination? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:15:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you vote on Merrick Garland's nomination? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you vote on Merrick Garland's nomination?
Aye (D)

Nay (D)

Aye (R)

Nay (R)

Aye (I/other)

Nay (I/other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Author Topic: How would you vote on Merrick Garland's nomination?  (Read 2658 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 18, 2016, 01:00:56 AM »

Aye. Not a fan by any means and I'm disappointed that, out of such a good bunch, Obama chose one of the worst (though that might turn out to be a good thing - if the Senate was going to shoot down any nominee, then it will give Hillary the excuse to nominate someone like Jane Kelly instead), but I believe that the standard to reject a judicial appointment, especially for ideological reasons, should be very high.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »

You mean voting to rehear a case without taking a position on its merits?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 01:02:42 AM »

A judge can't work to remove Citizens United, the Supreme Court doesn't work like this. As much as I hate Citizens people still need to understand how it works
Pssh, facts! Who needs 'em? I've got enough of bluster and an army of talk radio hosts to fend off you corporate shills with your "evidence" and your "informed opinions" indefinitely!
Precisely why Garland should not be confirmed. This is a move by both the White House and Congress to rally their bases. If anyone had any respect for the unity of America, Ben Chandler or Tom Campbell or another Blue Dog/Main Streeter would be sailing to the SCOTUS.

Are you suggesting that Garland is some sort of divisive liberal or Democratic hack? Really? Because that is not one of the problems with him. Is this the narrative that's going to be pushed? Really?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

'We must honor Scalia and his love of intellectual combat and zest for blood in the ideological water by replacing him with someone other than Garland, who embodies the worst of jurisprudential moderate heroism' is a decent argument, actually.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies