Chattanooga VW workers reject UAW, 53-47% (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:12:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chattanooga VW workers reject UAW, 53-47% (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chattanooga VW workers reject UAW, 53-47%  (Read 5106 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: February 15, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »

F**king useless politicians interfering where they're not wanted made this happen. That, and the archaic and idiotic system of how we certify unions in this country. Too bad Obama didn't have the guts to stick it out for the people who got him elected and get card check passed in 2009-10.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »

This sort of makes me wonder if the next major Republican policy push would be against unions instead of social security or health care. I could easily see this becoming something that could be a winner for Republicans in 2017 if they don't get in too over their heads like Clinton did with healthcare and Obama almost did with health care. Perhaps it would be something between a National Right to Work Law or a law that will allow states to no longer have unions recognized in their states.

Unions are much too popular nationwide for this to be a winning issue.

The reason the union lost this time was that Corker and others threatened them.

They're so popular than union busters Rick Snyder, Scott Walker, and John Kasich are all favored for re-election in bluish/purplish states.

This is a shame, but no surprise. These days, even the Republican cashiers at McDonald's are just temporarily embarrassed millionaires, so they see no irony in hating unions.

That sounds like a punk rock group, the "Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires".  Like I said, if union busting made big inroads in the rust belt, it will probably be front in center in 2017, depending on how 2016 goes.

If Rick Snyder is re-elected in Michigan of all places, I think that will mark the end of unions being an effective political force in this country. Walker surviving the recall was the canary in the coal mine, if Snyder wins, it will be the fat lady singing.

And yeah, I could definitely see nationwide RTW being on top of the Republican agenda if they win the presidency. Luckily that's pretty unlikely.

You know unions were considered dead in the water in the 1920s, right? That was before the largest explosion in union membership in this nation's history. There are so many things going on right now for labor, so many new possibilities, etc. that I wouldn't be surprised if the next decade saw a similar explosion. The fast food workers are organizing. The retail workers are organizing. One vote going the wrong way in Chattanooga (as a result of political interference, no less) won't stop the onward march of working people in this country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies