Mark Warner, the Democratic contender (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:24:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Mark Warner, the Democratic contender (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mark Warner, the Democratic contender  (Read 6277 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« on: June 02, 2005, 06:22:12 PM »

He'll have my support in '08, but knowing my party... We'll just pass him by.

We just have to work to make sure Hillary doesn't get the nomination and then Warner should be all set.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:35:27 PM »

[It will be a little more complicated than that.  When Warner is forced to get up in front of the Liberal Army in Iowa and discuss his views on Abortion, Death Penalty, Iraq, and Illegal Immigration... The Lib's are gonna' go nuts.

I really think you're a little misguided in your analyis. "The Lib's" will not go nuts. I think the majority of Democrats are pretty close to yourself  and my views. Most are not "far left". Warner is very exemplary of the Democratic mainstream on most issues:

Abortion-he'll be fine. Most people support parental notification.
Death Penalty-he'll be fine. The vast majority of politicians support the death penalty in some instances.
Iraq-I think his view is pretty typical of most Democrats. Support the war, but not the way it was carried out.
Illegal Immigration-most Democrats believe in much stricter immigration laws. This will actually be a strength of Warner.

Warner is pretty similar to Bill Clinton, although probably a little more to the left on some issues.  
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 06:36:22 PM »

I posted a diary on MyDD the other day regarding his position on illegal immigration, and they were basically calling for his head.

Do you have a link?

From what I've read, the DailyKos community is pretty much split on the immigration issue. Most believe in at least somewhat stricter enforcement.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 06:38:14 PM »

He's got a lot of support on DailyKos.

He's probably third most popular behind Wesley Clark and Russ Feingold in terms of legitimate candidates. I read Daily Kos all the time.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 06:43:50 PM »

[I haven't seen that much on immigration there, unless you count the massive opposition to the Real ID Act of 2005.

I've read a few threads on the issue and it's very split. But again, the majority believe in at least somewhat stricter enforcement. I think illegal immigration reform will be a very winning issue in 2008 if Warner chooses to emphasize it. And his signing of that bill will give him credibility on it.

By the way, I remember reading one of your diaries about a month ago.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 06:53:25 PM »

Feingold probably won't run. They'd go nuts over a Warner/Clark ticket.

Warner/Clark would be a very good ticket. So would Warner/Richardson or Warner/Obama.

Feingold is my favorite politician but it might be best for him to stay in the Senate.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 06:55:21 PM »

Here is a link to my diary entry regarding Gov. Warner and Illegal Immigration...

http://nickshepdem.mydd.com/story/2005/3/30/154131/416

Skip down a little bit.  The first 5 or so comments are pro-Warner.  After that it starts to get ugly.

OK, you said Daily Kos.

Anway, I'm in the roughly 25% of Democrats who believe in closing the borders and fining companies who hire illegal aliens.

The bill Warner signed is pretty tough, but I agree with it. I also think there needs to be some type of accountability for corporations who hire illegal aliens. That should be the next legislative order of business.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 08:58:19 PM »

Exactly. For whatever reason she has that label, but she's very centrist, much like her husband.

The only real viable liberal candidates in 2008 will be Wesley Clark and Russ Feingold (if he runs). The majority of Democratic candidates will be moderates.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 09:09:59 PM »

Worse comes to worse... Warner can bankroll his own campaign.

That's gotta be nice.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 09:28:41 AM »

DailyKos is governed by mob-psychology.  He is nowhere close to thier ideology.

Wrong and wrong.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 12:12:31 PM »

How's that?  You can't say that DailyKos isn't governed by mob-psychology.

To a degree, you're correct. But it's not like other sites where you get banned for disagreeing with people (Free Republic for example).

Anyway, I think Daily Kos is a great, informative site and I never have felt unwelcome there.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 12:14:57 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2005, 12:17:25 PM by Scoonie »

On a charisma scale 1-10, he's a 3. Yeah, it could be worse, but still not too good.

I would rate him about a 5, with Allen about a 4.

Warner will need to work on his public speaking before he runs for president. He's much more emotive and charismatic than John Kerry, but that's not saying much.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »

It's not going to happen though.  Some loony state, like Vermont or Massachusetts, might even be moved up.

You shouldn't call states "loony" when you've never even been there. Vermont and Massachusetts are quite normal, actually, although Massachusetts has horrible traffic.

I'm sure many people think South Carolina is loony.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

It's still a nice place but you shouldn't make fun of Vermont. It's certainly not "loony."

Neither is Massachusetts. Come up for a visit and see if you still think it's "loony".
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »

Uh, what? I never said it was loony. I had a house in Massachusetts. Squinting

I was talking to Krusty, not you!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »

Both Vermont and Mass are very nice places.  Too cold for me personally but very nice in the summer and fall.  Yeah, traffic in Boston sucks Smiley.  New Hampshire is also nice despite the presence of Scoonie Tongue J/K

New England is a great place. Good economy, educated workforce, tolerant people. We have skiiing in the winter and beaches in the summer. People who criticize it have usually never been here.

Also Boston is a great sports town! We have the Red Sox and the Patriots, both world champs.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 07:55:03 AM »

How does Schweitzer as a running mate sound?

I'm pretty sure Schweitzer will run for a second term as governor in 2008, but I may be wrong. But I think he would be a good running mate if available.

I also think Wesley Clark or Evan Bayh could be good running mates for Warner.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies