Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:58:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 193225 times)
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« on: February 14, 2022, 09:11:32 PM »

The country of Canada is in a major major economic decline. These protests while starting off as anti vax mandates are indicative of larger problems in the country. The housing market, jobs, taxes, and cost of living have reached a breaking point. While I'm vaccinated I oppose mandates. I support the truckers in front of Ottawa who are peacefully protesting with BBQ's pancake breakfasts and street concerts.

Now while i support the removal of protesters who block borders and bridges, this emergency act invocation is not warranted. The premiers of MB AB SK and QC have all voiced opposition to this. Furthurmore, govts rarely give up powers once obtained and this ability to freeze accounts control who can donate to what and where is tyrannical. Attacks on decentralized finance are wrong and the govt should not be doing this. The simple fact is these style of protests will continue in canada because it is a broken country with an increasingly worse standard of living year by year. My familys been here for over 20 years and this country is not the one they came too. We can only hope for better days.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:13:14 PM »

There is no impeachment in Canada, which means that you are supporting an unconstitutional coup against the elected Canadian government.

Ehh wrong language on his part but the sentiment is correct. Vote non confidence in trudeau!
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:15:15 PM »

This is not the country I grew up in.  Another sad day toward Canada's demise.

Wondering if I need to flee the country soon.  Might go to the UK as my mother was born there, and I believe that's the easiest visa short term.  Any other freedom lovers considering leaving?

Honestly, good riddance.

Honestly these kinda statements demonstrate the lack of clarity canadians have. Dabbingsanta like many cdns leaving the country is symbolic of the brain drain in canada. Hes lucky that hes got british roots as a fall back. Then again if i have to live in a squatted prison cell condo why freeze in the winter. India looks pretty good!
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 11:29:22 PM »

There is no impeachment in Canada, which means that you are supporting an unconstitutional coup against the elected Canadian government.

Western Canada should secede and The US should help them become their own nation

They never would, as British Columbia wouldn't follow them and the new country would be landlocked.
Yeah, Wexit has always been a nutty right-wing fantasy. Leaving an international trading bloc and actual secession from a country are two very different things. When it comes to the US relationship with Canada, it has long been policy to support a strong united Canada. I can’t think of any benefits the US would gain from Western or Quebec independence.

Relatedly, I’ve long been in favor of some kind of EU-like US-Canada open borders agreement/union. Obviously the business community and establishment would be in favor of such an arrangement. The only reason I could see it facing significant opposition from either side would be due to Canadian anti-Americanism related
fears about large numbers of Americans moving north and impacting/watering down Canadian culture.

Wexit is overated what we really need is a wexit combined with union with the united states to maintain ocean access and then annex british columbia too. Heck im not even asking for a pathway to citizenship like the illegals pouring in the southern border I'll take US territorial status like guam or puerto rico, so we can get "US Nationals" status which is basically green card status
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:35:06 PM »

That is blatantly false LMAO.

was it trump who fired his attorney general to hide the corruption of SNC Lavalin?
was it trump who fired lost his finance minister to scandal, his defense minister who had to be demoted
was it trump who invoked the US insurrection act against actual rioters?
was it trump who didnt produce a federal budget for 2 years?
was it trump who brought a terrorist/murderer to his india trip?

Nope all were the cdn turd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnVD_tLDzg
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 11:41:39 PM »

yeah thats true though youre right about that. The US system is far better designed to constrain the executive or any one branch. All of our regional divides could be solved if we had a real senate of 2 per province
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 12:15:39 AM »

Yeah id vote for trump over trudeau and im not a trump fan post Jan 5th. That said this is a giant attack on finance what was announced. banks freezing accounts for ordinary citizens is nuts.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 04:37:10 PM »

That is blatantly false LMAO.

was it trump who fired his attorney general to hide the corruption of SNC Lavalin?
was it trump who fired lost his finance minister to scandal, his defense minister who had to be demoted
was it trump who invoked the US insurrection act against actual rioters?
was it trump who didnt produce a federal budget for 2 years?
was it trump who brought a terrorist/murderer to his india trip?

Nope all were the cdn turd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnVD_tLDzg

1. Every single country in the world does protect its multinationals by making deals. By refusing to make a deal, Wilson-Raybauld (one of the worst Attorney General ever) put her ego over her job. The media only got upset because they can't accept that Quebec has a successful business instead of Bay Street.
2. Trump had to replace way more Cabinet members than Trudeau.
5. We have no need for Hindu nationalists (and their lies and anti-Sikh racism) in Canada.

Ofc the corrupt quebecer who only survives off of equalization dollars and govt pork is okay with the govt interefering in an going criminal corruption scandal. "media can't accept quebec has a successful business compared to bay street" LMFAO what?!?! Quebec has like 3 major companies, quebecor media, bombardier(only survives because of massive subsidies) and Air canada is forced to be located in montreal. In fact Quebec is so anti business that the Bank of Montreal isn't even headquartered in Montreal anymore.

Trumps cabinet secretaries resigned on their own volition and weren't kicked out of the republican party and or govt by trump to hide corruption. Now that the durham report is out it is clear that not only the Russia collusion was a giant hoax but evidently the one claim I assumed trump was lying on was indeed true with the clinton campaign spying on the Trump campaign.

There is no anti sikh racism in canada. Khalistani terrorists blew up a plane killing 329 canadians most of em children. Look it up on CBC fifth estate I know yall love ur cbc. Second of all the guy in question here is jaswant atwal who was an attempted murderer of a visiting indian politician as well as his ilk tried to murder Ujal dosanj the fmr NDP premier of British Columbia and fmr Liberal Minister of health under paul martin.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 04:40:04 PM »

Red States should fine any banks that go along with this . It’s time to take on these authoritarian actions head on

I'm eager to see DeSantis in jail in Canada for sedition.

Lol cdn jail? more like the rcmp will be handing out hugs to desantis like the coutts AB blockade. Canada has a smaller military then probably most US state national guards. And speaking of desantis perhaps he should ban all you quebecers who flee to the sun belt parce que C'est tres froid en Quebec.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 07:29:45 PM »

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trudeau-plans-record-number-of-immigrants-to-canada-through-2024-1.1723412

Trudeau plans to increase immigration to record levels through 2024.

I'm not Canadian and I of course do not know all the details on this, but I can't imagine this will be good in terms of the already horrific housing affordability crisis up north.

nope this aint good at all this combined with cheap easy monetary policy has caused us to have higher home prices than San jose and the bay area. Canada has become india in that your success now depends on what your parents had. You want a home? borrow against the equity that your family home has accrued. My parents home has more than doubled in value in 8 years. This is finally why you're seeing the usually polite cdns on the streets. today its vaccine mandates, but the division in the country today is getting worse and worse and you're gonna see much worse I predict in terms of protests in the years to come.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trudeau-plans-record-number-of-immigrants-to-canada-through-2024-1.1723412

Trudeau plans to increase immigration to record levels through 2024.

I'm not Canadian and I of course do not know all the details on this, but I can't imagine this will be good in terms of the already horrific housing affordability crisis up north.
There are three points I'd like to make here (bear in mind, I'm a supporter of the Canadian Liberals on a wide range of issues and I'd easily vote for them if I was Canadian, so I'm hardly impartial).
1. Canada is a wealthy country with a standard of living that drives a lot of immigrants to want to come there. Its points-based system also results in tons of professionals from other countries coming.
2. As Canada grows, these numbers growing alongside is far from illogical. Raw number benchmarks don't mean as much as percentages do.
3. Though attracting immigrants and immigration itself is far from inherently costless in the long-run, the country is setting itself up to have a larger working-age population by soliciting immigration like this, and this is important for the long-term future of its social services.

ehh the points based system is no longer what it was 20 years ago. Today theres an even better way to bypass the whole thing. You enroll in any college like literally indians have built fake satellite campuses and in like a certificate program no need for degree, afterwards you get a 3 year work permit and can claim "cdn experience" and thus express entry into PR. As for the pts needed, they lowered the avg CRS score due to covid because they got less people so my point is the crop thats coming in now are not smart talented people they are spoiled rich land owning indian and asians who's parents are loaded.

The top quality immigrants still aspire for the United states. Theres a reason why america gets people like satya nadella, elon musk, Harnoor singh(big youtuber and softwrare engineer) They only look to canada when the h1b system which has tons of issues doesn't work out for them because as indians would say Canada? man they hand out Permanent residency like its "prasad offerings" from a temple you get one and you get one we all get one!
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 07:53:45 PM »

One more thing to add about canada:

Never forget that Fox's geraldo rivera slept with trudeaus mom lol
https://nypost.com/2015/10/20/geraldo-praises-new-canadian-pm-once-claimed-to-have-had-sex-with-his-mom/
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 09:20:47 PM »

okay fk it based on the above post I now support a J6 style run for it. This is insanity. It is none of their damn business where people spend their money
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »

andrew scheer points out the obvs fact. Green party leader liz may was arrested in BC should we freeze her assets and to anyone who donated to the greens? jagmeet singh is a terrorist financier supporting the khalistanis in india why don't we freeze his assets too. Hes already banned from entering india perhaps the indian govt should seize his familys money. I have no doubt they own land in india
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 09:19:49 PM »

andrew scheer points out the obvs fact. Green party leader liz may was arrested in BC should we freeze her assets and to anyone who donated to the greens? jagmeet singh is a terrorist financier supporting the khalistanis in india why don't we freeze his assets too. Hes already banned from entering india perhaps the indian govt should seize his familys money. I have no doubt they own land in india
What a sad talking point...

why don't you go tell that to the victims families of the 1985 air india attack, the worst terrorist attack on canadian soil.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 08:37:15 PM »

Ahem

Wow, that's a pretty big movement. Although it probably reflects the government's handling of recent events more than the CPC getting more popular.

Interestingly, the CPC+PPC vote in that poll is 45%...I'm a little skeptical of that, considering the Canadian right hasn't won that big a share of the vote since 1984.

Icing on the cake: The Liberals would still win the election according to Mainstreet's projections. I'm guessing they're just plugging in current numbers into 2021 breakdowns, and real elections don't work like that. But man, the fact that it's mathematically possible to win an election by 8 points but lose the seat count by 20 is...something. Conservatives need to figure out how to distribute their vote more efficiently, and Liberals need to be less smug talking about how the electoral college distorts the popular.

joke tier poll. canada is a messed up place another election would yeild the same 33-31% result with libs 155 ish and tories 123 ish
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 10:14:55 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 

The emergency will have to be approved by the Parliament (Trudeau has a majority in neither house) next week and then every 30 days. That's a democratic norms.

And what about the individual rights of the inhabitants of Ottawa? Of people who lost income because of factory closures caused by the border being blocks? Why the individual rights of wannabe January-6ers are more important than theirs?

He does have a defacto majority because that terrorist sympathizer holds the balance of power and is going against the NDP traditions of tommy douglas, Svend Robinson, Ed broadbent, Jack layton who all opposed the emergency act in their day and Svend robinson still opposes it today
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 10:16:58 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 

The emergency will have to be approved by the Parliament (Trudeau has a majority in neither house) next week and then every 30 days. That's a democratic norms.

And what about the individual rights of the inhabitants of Ottawa? Of people who lost income because of factory closures caused by the border being blocks? Why the individual rights of wannabe January-6ers are more important than theirs?

Lametti says they're going after small time donors and evidently they already have this is straight up theft and fascist and if a non white country had done this thered be UN sanctions already. Fk this banana republic built on housing speculation
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 10:23:30 PM »

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1495586864656527365

Why dont we invoke the emergency act here and seize these thugs bank accounts and remove em by force but oh yah they're on the left so they can continue to make LA a sh**thole.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 06:20:06 PM »

We still have the dumb vaxport and masking, but other than that Covid has been over in BC for like the last few months nobody cares minus some karens being like "CAN YOU PUT UR MASK ALL THE WAY TYPES". even vaxports if theres a big crowd at lunch they dont check, the gym i use is annoying tho theres like nobody there in the mornings yet i gotta show my vaxport every time i go in like i was literally there 2 days ago and showed you the previous N times!

Good on Nova scotia, and quebec got rid of masks for kids as did AB
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2023, 06:37:45 PM »

I wonder if there is any chance Trudeau uses this to overall smartly restrict Indian immigration to more manageable levels while having political cover. Seems like the smartest play and the right for Canada, and US citizens.

I disagree. Restricting Indian immigration would show the world that Canada is afraid of Modi. Canada needs to increase immigration from India, if anything. It sends a better message: “unlike India, Canada is a free nation”
lmao. Are you aware of the current immigration situatuon in Canada and its effect on the housing crisis and cost of living? The strip mall diploma mills?

The idea that immigrants are to blame for housing shortages is nonsensical. Housing shortages are evidence of insufficient supply, not too much demand. Building more housing would solve the problem. Secondly, the implication that a citizen is more deserving of housing than a citizen is xenophobic.

Any time someone is blaming “immigrants” for a societal ill, it’s a distraction from the actual causes.
Or it means immigration is the cause. Sometimes this is the case, perish the thought!

The current situation in Canada is such a case. Cost of living is through the roof as Trudeau's government is bringing in well over a million immigrants a year in a country of under 40 million. Hundreds of thousands of these are arriving on international student visas to attend diploma mill "colleges" in strip malls that are made up entirely of these visa holders, have terrible outcomes, and are mostly vehicles for roundabout immigration.

You can't magically wave a wand and build millions of housing units overnight. Canada is in crisis and immigration must be dramatically reduced to at least pre-2019 levels as part of the solution.

Your politics have become increasingly unmoored from reality. You are clearly operating on a separate plane in which the things you want to be true, because they make you feel good, are actually true, 100% of the time and without exception.

Immigration in Canada should return to Harper era numbers .
I only said pre-2019 because I was arguing with Fergie. It does need to drop tremendously for awhile until the impact of the last 3 years of insane immigration levels has worn off.

Oh I absolutely agree , which means probably even lower than Harper era numbers for a 3-4 years as well . The amount of student visas they give out is insane and that’s probably the first area they should make drastic cuts in

But that's the thing provinces opposes the most (it's financing their education system), and, for a province like Quebec, which has an immigration deal with the Canadian government, they cannot do it without provincial approval.

This is not a power provinces should have though

Changing that would require amending the Constitution, so it's not realistic.

This is patently false. Immigration is a federal not provincial jurisdiction. Youre right from a quebec perspective that Lyin Brian caved to separtist demands in the 90s and gave em a special immigration side deal after his meech deal failed. As far as immigration goes it doesn't require provincial input. When harper left office we had a consensus from 1990-2015 every govt avged roughly 200-250k immigrants per year and guess what we had no issues then. My family are one of those immigrants. In fact under chretien the liberals cut immigration and introduced a landing fee(a tax on immigrants) to fight the deficit. My parents had to pay it. Harper eliminated it to win brown votes and it lined up with his tax cutting agenda. Today we have 450k-500k PR's per year

There are small provincial nominee programs that provinces use under like the Atlantic Canada pilot project. But ultimately Feds set the limits on immigration streams etc. When it comes to international students its trickier since the feds dont control education. However nothing is stopping parliament from creating legislation to explicitly put a cap. If it wanted to be done it would be. But under woke trudeau nothing is more important than importing new indian voters and propping up brampton basement rents. Keep voting liberal ya'll.

I believe it was dave chapelle who said something like "hes fighting for people like me" in reference to trump. Trudeau is fighting for Indians like me. I don't have to tip 15% when i do "tiffin deliveries for cheap indian food" Aint nobody want some dumb childcare program, we can get Grandma Kaur over there from india who's visiting to look after the kids for pennies like 300 a month. But yeah keep up the woke stuff Canada, i'm sure trudeau fights for "the middle class and the folks working hard to join it"
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2023, 06:39:01 PM »

I mean Canada just isnt a serious country. Hilarious as I was an employee of the feds from 2020 to 2021 summer. Throughout this turd's tenure we have in essence gotten along with literally no country. Trump admin: granted this was a tough fight for the turd but he managed to atleast not fking remove nafta/free trade. The india relationship is gone, the china situation is even worse because everyones all outraged about this alleged killing, china actually has their own police stations in multiple cdn cities. That dumb moron freeland got us into an necessary fight with the saudis back in 2018. No ally of canada's trusts it. Biden and sunak and the aussi guy told em to basically take a hike we aint sacrificing our partnerships for a country that can't hit 2% of its gdp on defense willingly despite being a "rich nation". The military fights with jets from the 80s the only time you even hear about it, is when theres a sexual assault scandal or a natural disaster recovery. Finally the most recent fk up, they either were too incompetent not to vet the guy or more likely did vet him and didnt care. the nazi was a member of the speakers riding and its unimaginable that the rcmp and parliamentary policy agency didn't vet this guy just lol worthy. Its gonna take atleast 15 years for canada to recover from the trudeau debacle on just foriegn policy. Domestically they are even more screwed.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2023, 06:57:25 PM »

you know at some point despite all the ranting I'm just profoundly embarassed seeing my country go down the tubes like this. random nations calling canada a terror state, gaffe after gaffe, housing broken, jobs being shed, productivity falling year over year, business investment has fled after 2017, its just so sad, just terribly sad seeing this once great nation on its knees.

Canada is the country which founded insulin, sacrificed more men in ww1 and ww2 then the americans, liberated the netherlands, used to have innovative companies come out of there like Blackberry, Nortel, used to have more of its citizens connected to the internet than usa(2001 canada), withstood the 2008 recession better than the americans, cad was rising, oil wealth was giving us budget surpluses, our PM's used to fking stand for stuff and the important stuff: harper told putin to eat sh*t and get out of ukraine and kicked him out of the G8. Mulroney stood against apartheid in south africa.

Now whats the contribution canada makes to global events? Trudeau himself said indigenous and gender inclusion and reconcilliation. mfer made more headlines for his plane stuck on the tarmac than anything of substance. How this great country is being made a laughing stock of the world is just unreal
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies