A Supreme Being created everything.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:11:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  A Supreme Being created everything.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you agree? 999 day poll
Definitely yes

Definitely not

Yes

No

I don't know

Nobody knows

Other answer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: A Supreme Being created everything.  (Read 2193 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »

If you take the assumption that this Supreme Being has to be the God in the Bible (or any other religious text) out of the equation, I think at least some non believers would be more likely to agree.

I think there are multiple forms of evidence pointing to the existence of a Supreme Being creator.
You make an important point. The choice between Christianity and atheism is not a binary one, but it is interesting to ponder how many people have turned to atheism as a reaction to the Christianity that they were taught as a child.

A false premise many secular people have is that Christianity must stand on its own to be "appealing" to believers.  In classical theism and Christian scholasticism historically, one STARTS with proving (to himself) whether or not a "God" of sorts exists using philosophy and logic.  It is only once the answer is determined to be "Yes" that you can start wondering what that God/being is like.  It is this next exercise that leads many people to Christianity.  If you ALREADY do not believe in a God of sorts, the Resurrection story seems incredibly difficult to believe ... but if you have reasoned yourself toward theism in the first place and this is now your starting point, the claims of the New Testament are not exactly difficult to accept.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2024, 04:10:10 PM »

No. The universe is a random, chaotic accident, perhaps neyond our comprehension, but in a scientific way, not supernatural.

A supreme being creating the Universe doesn't make the Universe "supernatural."

I guess how we define that is wildly different.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2024, 04:30:48 PM »

No. The universe is a random, chaotic accident, perhaps neyond our comprehension, but in a scientific way, not supernatural.

A supreme being creating the Universe doesn't make the Universe "supernatural."

I guess how we define that is wildly different.

I would imagine so...?  "Natural" pretty much defines the physical and natural Universe.  Any supreme being/God would, by definition, exist outside of that Universe and have acted as its first cause.  The Universe having an ultimate cause/explanation in the form of God doesn't make the Universe itself supernatural, and this just seems logically obvious to me.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 03:06:40 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2024, 10:36:51 PM by courts »

not sure. but i do believe in a higher power regardless
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length