NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:47:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld?  (Read 2909 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: April 24, 2005, 03:00:34 PM »

A little bit of chatter from Daily Kos:

"At the 1pm news on NPR (AM 820), it was announced New York Magazine had an article claiming that Bill Weld (moderate, pro-choice Republican & former governor of Massachusetts) has been in talks with the NY State Republican Party about challenging Spitzer for governor or Hillary for Senator in '06.  Apparently, Weld has lived in New York since 2000.  This could be big news."

snip

"I lived in MA right after Weld was first elected, but moved away soon after that, so I don't know much about what kind of political capital he has there or in New York.  He does have decent name ID and could be an appealing moderate for upstate voters.  But, again, he is a Republican in a very hungry very blue state, and I'm not sure how well folks will view a 'carpetbagger,' especially from Massachusetts.  Interesting..."

He will get crushed by both.  Spitzer has approval rating in the low 60's, Clinton's approval is approaching 70.  The onlyone who could make either race close is Rudy
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:37:39 PM »

If the NYGOP is talking to Weld, apparently they're not having much luck getting Rudy to reconsider.  Like it's been mentioned, it's not like there's much to lose.

The NY GOP is basically like the IL GOP.  Basically have nothing.  Outside of Rudy, the NY GOP has nothing.  Pataki is finished period & it doesn't look like Rudy will run.  Everyone else (Congressional Republicans & State egislature or Assemblymen) aren't all that well known & have no real following.   Little name Republican going up against very popular & well known Dem canddates in a heavily Dem State?  No wonder their looking to Wield.  They have nothing to lose, (nothing to gain either) but oh well
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »

Little name Republican going up against very popular & well known Dem canddates in a heavily Dem State?

Little name Republican? Bill Weld is a little name?

He is MUCH LESS well known in NY than Spitzer & Clinton are.  Compared to them he is a little name, thats the point I was making.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies