NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:54:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld?  (Read 2903 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »

A little bit of chatter from Daily Kos:

"At the 1pm news on NPR (AM 820), it was announced New York Magazine had an article claiming that Bill Weld (moderate, pro-choice Republican & former governor of Massachusetts) has been in talks with the NY State Republican Party about challenging Spitzer for governor or Hillary for Senator in '06.  Apparently, Weld has lived in New York since 2000.  This could be big news."

snip

"I lived in MA right after Weld was first elected, but moved away soon after that, so I don't know much about what kind of political capital he has there or in New York.  He does have decent name ID and could be an appealing moderate for upstate voters.  But, again, he is a Republican in a very hungry very blue state, and I'm not sure how well folks will view a 'carpetbagger,' especially from Massachusetts.  Interesting..."

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 03:00:34 PM »

A little bit of chatter from Daily Kos:

"At the 1pm news on NPR (AM 820), it was announced New York Magazine had an article claiming that Bill Weld (moderate, pro-choice Republican & former governor of Massachusetts) has been in talks with the NY State Republican Party about challenging Spitzer for governor or Hillary for Senator in '06.  Apparently, Weld has lived in New York since 2000.  This could be big news."

snip

"I lived in MA right after Weld was first elected, but moved away soon after that, so I don't know much about what kind of political capital he has there or in New York.  He does have decent name ID and could be an appealing moderate for upstate voters.  But, again, he is a Republican in a very hungry very blue state, and I'm not sure how well folks will view a 'carpetbagger,' especially from Massachusetts.  Interesting..."

He will get crushed by both.  Spitzer has approval rating in the low 60's, Clinton's approval is approaching 70.  The onlyone who could make either race close is Rudy
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »

Ok, I found a better source.  Wink

From the AP:

ALBANY, N.Y. - Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld has had discussions with New York Republican officials about a possible run for governor or the U.S. Senate next year in the state where he has lived since 2000, a top GOP official said Sunday.

The party official, speaking to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said there have been staff-level discussions between the two camps and direct conversations between at least one other top GOP official and Weld.

The primary interest is in Weld running for governor, the source said.

The talks between Weld and New York Republican officials were first reported on Sunday by New York Magazine in the issue of the weekly that hits newsstands on Monday. The magazine said Weld has been telling associates that GOP leaders approached him about running
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 03:20:26 PM »

Interesting...
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »

For the GOP, what is there to lose? Don't see why not to run Weld, though naturally he would be a serious underdog.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 10:07:19 PM »

Has anyone ever been governor of more than one state before?
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:04:10 PM »

If the NYGOP is talking to Weld, apparently they're not having much luck getting Rudy to reconsider.  Like it's been mentioned, it's not like there's much to lose.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 11:03:40 PM »

I'd vote for him.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 11:37:39 PM »

If the NYGOP is talking to Weld, apparently they're not having much luck getting Rudy to reconsider.  Like it's been mentioned, it's not like there's much to lose.

The NY GOP is basically like the IL GOP.  Basically have nothing.  Outside of Rudy, the NY GOP has nothing.  Pataki is finished period & it doesn't look like Rudy will run.  Everyone else (Congressional Republicans & State egislature or Assemblymen) aren't all that well known & have no real following.   Little name Republican going up against very popular & well known Dem canddates in a heavily Dem State?  No wonder their looking to Wield.  They have nothing to lose, (nothing to gain either) but oh well
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 03:36:26 AM »

"But, again, he is a Republican in a very hungry very blue state, and I'm not sure how well folks will view a 'carpetbagger,' especially from Massachusetts."
New York has elected two senators from Massachusetts, Rufus King and Robert Kennedy.  King served as a delegate from Massachusetts to the Constitutional Convention and the Massachusetts ratifying convention.  He then moved to New York, and was chosen as one of its first two senators, and later went on to lose the 1816 presidential election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 09:20:33 AM »

Little name Republican going up against very popular & well known Dem canddates in a heavily Dem State? 
Reminds me of Rick Lazio.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »

Being that he has lived here for the past 5 years and grew up here on Long Island I would have no problem with him as the nominee.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 11:47:28 AM »

Message to Bill Weld: please run against Hillary
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 11:51:03 AM »

Little name Republican going up against very popular & well known Dem canddates in a heavily Dem State? 

Little name Republican? Bill Weld is a little name?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »

Little name Republican? Bill Weld is a little name?

He is MUCH LESS well known in NY than Spitzer & Clinton are.  Compared to them he is a little name, thats the point I was making.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 10:14:54 PM »

Message to Bill Weld: please run against Hillary

Yes, exactly. And I kinda like Spitzer- I'm beginning to think he'd be harder to beat than Hillary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies